My Mal Reynolds (Firefly) costume

Hello,
I may consider making myself a Mal costume for next year's Dragon*con. So, perhaps I will be revisiting this thread (for example, chaps...I might come begging).

Anyway, I have a completely different take on the boots and I'm curious about the opinion of the group.
Here's a picture of the boots...
http://www.shutupanddance.com/Images/mals_boots.jpg

I see another option to a leather underlying shoe, which is basically any LL Bean duck boot. An example pulled at random:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.stylelist.com/media/2011/04/l-l-bean-duck-boots-706ssl040611.jpg

I suggest that one could take such a shoe and glue gun on a piece of dark rubber as a fake outer sole (which could also by the way be made thicker for those that aren't 6 foot 2). I'm not up on my LL Bean shoes, but there might be a brown one that could be matched, or you could paint it brown. Perhaps there is another duck boot out there that would match the ridge pattern even closer?

Curious as to your thoughts.

I think you might have a hard time keeping that shoe from falling apart... the soles need to be the most durable part seeing as you will be walking all over the place in them. It is good to see people coming up with different ideas though. Keep thinking out of the box. :thumbsup

That's a valid plan, but I agree that the shoe could fall apart easily. Also, the duck boots aren't exactly right. They're more of a molded rubber instead of stitched leather pieces. I'd like to see your results if you try it, though.

First, let me say I'm pretty impressed with the level of detail you've shown here. I've learned quite a bit just reading through this thread. :)

I wondered if anyone might have a lead on a good pattern for Mal's coat. I've done a little digging, but haven't found anything that looks right so far. I'm just about to the point of making my own pattern, by I figured I'd ask you knowledgable folks before re-inventing the wheel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I would actually start from a shirt pattern. The Vogue slim fit has the 3 panel back with the yoke. You'd have to flare the skirting and add the folded back cuffs, but it's mostly right.

This is so amazing and a true inspiration!

Working on a mal costume myself for a convention in the Netherlands right now.

Thank you for this. I have learned so much from this.

Hi,
Just joined to be able to respond to this thread. Risu you have amazing skills!! Simply AWESOME!
I have two jobs at the moment so making my next Comicon costume will take a quite a while. OK truth be told I'm a long time Fan of Firefly and just went to my first Comicon earlier this year with my 17 year old daughter. I was dressed as a middle aged guy with two jobs worn out from life. I must admit I pulled it off quite well until I actually paid for the tickets and then proceeded to drag my Kid all over !! Amazing! People like me! So I just came out of the closet ......without a costume BUUUUWAAHAHAHA! I don't care what my wife says , I'm the funny one.
Got a Mal costume question for you Risu. I found the Israeli suspenders and a few other bits and pieces. But I was wondering exactly where did you get the elastic suspenders from? Brand name etc. That leaf like leather part you made yourself?
Looking forward to seeing more of your costumes and I will probably hit you up (on commission of course) for your skills if that's ok. I really want to do the Captain Mal costume but I'm going bald so damn! a wig? LMAO!

I can't remember where I got my suspenders, it was a long time ago. I did just make a pair of these on commission for another member here, though. The leather piece I just made myself without a pattern to match the color of the leather on the suspenders.

I just wanted to pop in here to post a couple pictures of my most recent gun belts. I finally took a picture of the Firefly holster with the screen accurate buckle.

I'm also using different buckles for the Serenity belt, but I don't have any pics of those yet. I did get a picture of the accompanying ammo pouches, though.

Wow beautiful ! How do I go about commissioning you to make the holster and ammo pouch for me? :D
Oh hell I have parts for the suspenders, also I could send them to you?

Last edited:
For lack of a better place to post this, I've just scored possibly the coolest thing I've ever found on ebay.

Wash's boots. They're a slightly different style in terms of height and zipper placement, but considering I've only ever seen 3 pairs of these things show up on ebay in the decade since Firefly aired, I couldn't care less about the small differences. Here they are next to one of the other pairs, found by Bronson BB. I was borrowing them in hopes to mold the soles, but that project wasn't making any headway and it seems a bit pointless now.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back