My Klingon disruptor pistol

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Westcoastgio, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Westcoastgio

Westcoastgio New Member

My first prop build. I got a gorgeous Resin Disruptor kit online four or five years ago, unfortunately I cant remember who they are to give them credit. :(
    I worked on it a bit, but didn't have the time, space or tools to get very far, however my situation changed, and the re-release of the Diamond select toys lit a fire under me...

I would show you my before pic, but I failed to take a pic, so had to grab this image off of Google.
    Screenshot_2015-03-09-16-55-19.png

I also lost the emitter, and fire selector switch. so obviously I am off to a wondrous start.
    But, I am FINALLY off to a running start!!
    20150309_205234.jpg
    here she is assembled. I went with red translucent plastic instead of metal for the rods. I think it will look awesome, and if I hate it, I can always repaint.

Unfated likes this.
  2. Unfated

Unfated Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like the red acrylic rods.

3. Westcoastgio

Westcoastgio New Member

Thanks Unfated!
    well here is where I am at now:
    20150314_143028.jpg
    Used a two part epoxy putty called greenstuff that I use with Warhammer 40k minis to gap fill
    20150314_143037.jpg
    robbed my 40k parts bin for the fire selector switch, minimal filling and it fit like it was meant to. tomorrow I base coat it!

4. Westcoastgio

Westcoastgio New Member

Primed with black spray-paint, I'm a model gamer, so I am pretty comfortable with the paint stage.
    tomorrow I am going to undercoat all the areas that are going to end up brown with a dried blood red, in order to tint the final product red.
    the Diamond Select toys, and some of the props I have seen are more of a neutral dark brown, I always remember them as being a reddish brown on screen, so that is what I am aiming for.
    20150315_094910.jpg

until tomorrow!!!

5. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking nice.

Mike Moore (One half of the creative team that made MANY of the original props for the TREK tv shows in the '80'2 & 90's) told me that for the "blood red" they simply used "rust" colored auto primer. I've used it, followed by a light dusting of flat black to perfect results.

Ted.

propninja likes this.
  6. Westcoastgio

Westcoastgio New Member

Thanks, I will have to give that a try at some point. right now however, all my painting experience comes from paining mini's so I'm sticking to what I know.

Speaking of sticking with what I know, here it is, with the soon to be brown areas undercoated in a scab red.
    20150315_195021.jpg
    Hopefully that will give the brown the red tint I am looking for. until tomorrow!

7. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's looking great. Thanks for posting progress pictures. And yes, I too often 'stick with what I know'.

I'm finishing up a toy Star Trek III Klingon Disruptor. The red primer is drying tonight. Hopefully tomorrow, I can mask and paint the handle.

Cheers,

Ted.

8. Westcoastgio

Westcoastgio New Member

here it is, in more of a chocolate bar brown than originally planned. not what I was originally aiming for but I will stick with it.
    20150317_202925.jpg
    and here it is next to the Diamond select toy for comparison!
    20150317_202937.jpg
    tomorrow I hope to put the gold down.

9. BlasterGuy83

BlasterGuy83 New Member

That's not bad! I like the way the handle came out. Here's mine. Got it from...Arsenal Models. I know they are recasters, but I think mine came out pretty good. I also replaced the plastic rods with real metal ones; didn't need to paint them and they added a nice heft to the finished product.
    IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0235.JPG

Cameron likes this.
  10. Westcoastgio

Westcoastgio New Member

nice! I think your kit has more/sharper details compared to mine.

11. Westcoastgio

Westcoastgio New Member

here it is after all the gold laid down. not sure if you can tell, but I put the gold down pretty thick over the stripes. left the black showing through here and there on the "vents" to crate a bit of visual wear.
    20150317_221927.jpg

Tomorrow I put down the silver!!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  12. Westcoastgio

Westcoastgio New Member

Here it is with all the gribblies I thought should be silver silvered. I also hit the edges of everything with silver to create some wear and tear.

20150319_095621.jpg
    Tomorrow I am going to hit it with brown ink to create a bit of shadow and age, after that dries I am gonna spray it with a matte clear coat. can't wait!!!!

13. vintageslant

vintageslant Active Member

Nice job, keep up the good work.

14. Westcoastgio

Westcoastgio New Member

here it is with some basic aging techniques and before sealing it.
    20150319_095627.jpg
    here I went ahead and hit the nose and body with a nut brown calligraphy ink, and the handle with an ebon ink from the same calligraphy set.
    20150319_143019.jpg
    here it is in all of it's finished glory:
    20150319_190047.jpg
    and a close up of the red rods:
    20150319_190110.jpg