My Klingon disruptor pistol

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Westcoastgio, Mar 15, 2015.

  1. Westcoastgio

    Westcoastgio New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    My first prop build. I got a gorgeous Resin Disruptor kit online four or five years ago, unfortunately I cant remember who they are to give them credit. :(
    I worked on it a bit, but didn't have the time, space or tools to get very far, however my situation changed, and the re-release of the Diamond select toys lit a fire under me...

    I would show you my before pic, but I failed to take a pic, so had to grab this image off of Google.
    Screenshot_2015-03-09-16-55-19.png

    I also lost the emitter, and fire selector switch. so obviously I am off to a wondrous start.
    But, I am FINALLY off to a running start!!
    20150309_205234.jpg
    here she is assembled. I went with red translucent plastic instead of metal for the rods. I think it will look awesome, and if I hate it, I can always repaint.
     
    Unfated likes this.
  2. Unfated

    Unfated Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

    Trophy Points:
    1,215
    I like the red acrylic rods.
     
  3. Westcoastgio

    Westcoastgio New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    Thanks Unfated!
    well here is where I am at now:
    20150314_143028.jpg
    Used a two part epoxy putty called greenstuff that I use with Warhammer 40k minis to gap fill
    20150314_143037.jpg
    robbed my 40k parts bin for the fire selector switch, minimal filling and it fit like it was meant to. tomorrow I base coat it!
     
  4. Westcoastgio

    Westcoastgio New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    Primed with black spray-paint, I'm a model gamer, so I am pretty comfortable with the paint stage.
    tomorrow I am going to undercoat all the areas that are going to end up brown with a dried blood red, in order to tint the final product red.
    the Diamond Select toys, and some of the props I have seen are more of a neutral dark brown, I always remember them as being a reddish brown on screen, so that is what I am aiming for.
    20150315_094910.jpg

    until tomorrow!!!
     
  5. Prefect42

    Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

    Trophy Points:
    1,147
    Looking nice.

    Mike Moore (One half of the creative team that made MANY of the original props for the TREK tv shows in the '80'2 & 90's) told me that for the "blood red" they simply used "rust" colored auto primer. I've used it, followed by a light dusting of flat black to perfect results.

    Ted.
     
    propninja likes this.
  6. Westcoastgio

    Westcoastgio New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    Thanks, I will have to give that a try at some point. right now however, all my painting experience comes from paining mini's so I'm sticking to what I know.

    Speaking of sticking with what I know, here it is, with the soon to be brown areas undercoated in a scab red.
    20150315_195021.jpg
    Hopefully that will give the brown the red tint I am looking for. until tomorrow!
     
  7. Prefect42

    Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

    Trophy Points:
    1,147
    It's looking great. Thanks for posting progress pictures. And yes, I too often 'stick with what I know'.

    I'm finishing up a toy Star Trek III Klingon Disruptor. The red primer is drying tonight. Hopefully tomorrow, I can mask and paint the handle.

    Cheers,

    Ted.
     
  8. Westcoastgio

    Westcoastgio New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    here it is, in more of a chocolate bar brown than originally planned. not what I was originally aiming for but I will stick with it.
    20150317_202925.jpg
    and here it is next to the Diamond select toy for comparison!
    20150317_202937.jpg
    tomorrow I hope to put the gold down.
     
  9. BlasterGuy83

    BlasterGuy83 New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    That's not bad! I like the way the handle came out. Here's mine. Got it from...Arsenal Models. I know they are recasters, but I think mine came out pretty good. I also replaced the plastic rods with real metal ones; didn't need to paint them and they added a nice heft to the finished product.
    IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0235.JPG
     
    Cameron likes this.
  10. Westcoastgio

    Westcoastgio New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    nice! I think your kit has more/sharper details compared to mine.
     
  11. Westcoastgio

    Westcoastgio New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    here it is after all the gold laid down. not sure if you can tell, but I put the gold down pretty thick over the stripes. left the black showing through here and there on the "vents" to crate a bit of visual wear.
    20150317_221927.jpg

    Tomorrow I put down the silver!!!
     
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  12. Westcoastgio

    Westcoastgio New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    Here it is with all the gribblies I thought should be silver silvered. I also hit the edges of everything with silver to create some wear and tear.

    20150319_095621.jpg
    Tomorrow I am going to hit it with brown ink to create a bit of shadow and age, after that dries I am gonna spray it with a matte clear coat. can't wait!!!!
     
  13. vintageslant

    vintageslant Active Member

    Trophy Points:
    242
    Nice job, keep up the good work.
     
  14. Westcoastgio

    Westcoastgio New Member

    Trophy Points:
    3
    here it is with some basic aging techniques and before sealing it.
    20150319_095627.jpg
    here I went ahead and hit the nose and body with a nut brown calligraphy ink, and the handle with an ebon ink from the same calligraphy set.
    20150319_143019.jpg
    here it is in all of it's finished glory:
    20150319_190047.jpg
    and a close up of the red rods:
    20150319_190110.jpg
     

Share This Page