My first build - Republic Commando (WIP)

SampleName

Hi there guys! My name is Nate. Yes, I'm only 15, but I don't want that to stop me from being able to have my own suit of armor. I've been lurking here for several months now, and have been learning a lot. Since it's spring break, I decided to go ahead and purchase the RC files from Skip and give it a go. Keep in mind that this is my first time working with Pepakura, fiberglass, bondo, etc. I'll save you from the boring gluing pictures and just show you what I have put together so far.
2012-03-22_16-26-43_460.jpg

Since joining the 501st is out of the question, as of now, I'm not too bothered about minor inaccuracies. I decided to make the shoulder bells flat, instead of having the center piece on it. First off, it didn't fit properly, and secondly, I didn't want to spend hours trying to bondo/sand out the little crevices (since this is my first time working with it). Here's a picture of what it originally looked like :
2012-03-20_00-30-01_914.jpg

I'd also like to try vacuum forming down the road. Any advise that you guys could lend (on any of this stuff) would be really appreciated!

I applied resin to the outside of the chest today (finished the back plate too). I have a question though. Do I want to use the fiberglass on the inside or outside of the pieces? I've seen it done both ways before, but I'm not sure which way is better. If you guys could get back to me on this one, that would be great. Thanks.

A little update : The fiberglass has been finished on the chest, one shoulder bell, and I have one layer done on the biceps. Also have a little bit of bondo applied on the chest.

FirstBondo.jpg

For someone who is only 15 you have done some excellent work! Your builds appear clean and the fit is very good. I'm glad that you bought the files from Skip. I have purchased many files from him in the past and can say that his pep work while maybe slightly inaccurate is still some of the best work out there. Best of luck on your build and please keep posting pictures on your progress.

Thanks! I'm really happy with Skip's work.

Does anyone know what material I should use when filling in the arm/neck/etc spaces to make a vacuum forming buck?

Well, I'm going to have to do some work on this chest piece. The curves don't line up anymore on the center piece, so I'll have to do some cutting and make a piece to fit the gap. Picture : (The dark line on the left is roughly what I'll be cutting)
2012-05-16_19-15-25_554.jpg

Question - when you do cut out that piece, how do you go about filling in the space? Do you cut another piece of paper, glue it in and resin/glass/bondo the same way you started building it? Or is there a shorter way since you've already fiberglassed most of the piece already?

Hey Mycho - Sorry I didn't see your comment earlier. I just got the piece fixed a few days ago. Surprisingly, I didn't have to add anymore fiberglass or anything in. I took a dremel and cut downward at an angle, to match the other side, and it came out pretty good.

I guess there was enough bondo/fiberglass underneath that point already that it didn't go all the way through. I wasn't expecting that.
2012-05-31_12-50-24_70.jpg
[/IMG]

That's how it currently looks. Not perfect yet.

Thanks for the update Sample. I was just curious to see how people handle the issues I might come across when using fiberglass and bondo. Your suit is looking good. I plan on making an RC too sometime down the line, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I'm not really good with all the pepakura stuff but by any chance does anyone know where there is templates for Republic commando armour?

Fierfek does make some Republic Commando files, but he doesn't have all of them. I bought my files from Skip. It came with the complete set and all the weapons as well.

Nice job on this! I've been wanting to do some RC armor for a while but it looks so hard to do pepakura. Seeing somebody my age doing a project that looks so good gave me some much needed encouragement.

Nice job on this! I've been wanting to do some RC armor for a while but it looks so hard to do pepakura. Seeing somebody my age doing a project that looks so good gave me some much needed encouragement.

Thanks! I started this when I was 15, and am now 17. This was my first adventure into real prop making and I learned a lot!
These are great skills to know for other areas of life as well. I really encourage you to give it a try! Be patient and don't get too frustrated.
There's a learning curve, but you'll be able to get the hang of it.

Feel free to send me a PM if you ever have any questions!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back