World's Slowest Republic Commando Build

thorssoli

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been working on this here and there for the past few months and figured now that I've got something to show, I should finally go ahead and write about it here. This build started back in November or December of 2009 while I was working as a navigator on a containership in the North Pacific. Not having access to my tools or my shop, it made sense at the time to get started on another pepakura-based build.

Here's the faceplate assembled:
4196238203_60aba6f90f_o.jpg

And here's the complete helmet:
4196242005_bd87acbf8f_o.jpg

4196996386_5ef5816b42_o.jpg

When I'd finished the pep build, I started noticing things I didn't like about the general shape of the helm. I cut the ears off and replaced them with a pair cut from sheet styrene, then cut off most of the dome and grafted the rest of the bucket onto a child-sized skateboard helmet. With all of the styrofoam removed, there's plenty of room inside the kid's helmet and it has a better profile.

Once the paper was backed up with a few layers of resin, the next step was start with the bondo to straighten out the shape:
4559516893_0c25a7cccf_o.jpg

After a few cycles of bondo-sand-repeat, I decided to spray the whole deal with black primer to see how it looks. Here's the current state of it as it sits in my workshop right now:
4560147050_536e0fdc7f_o.jpg

Hopefully I'll have this thing ready to mold sometime sooner than later. For now I still have a lot of smoothing to do before I score all of the seam lines into the surface and add all of the little fasteners and greeblies. I was really making progress today, but then my Dremel croaked (it's only ten or twelve years old, but it's had a hard life) and I turned to other projects for a while.

Comments welcome.

When I titled this thread "World's Slowest" I guess I wasn't kidding. It's been a while since I've dusted off this project, but I've given it a bit more tweaking. I think it's time to call the prototype done at this point.

Here's 5,000 words worth of pictures:

I'll be molding this baby up over the next week or two. Stand by...

Looks incredibly detailed! beautiful build!
Will you be posting during the moulding process, as I would love to see that. I am almost at the moulding stage now and have never done it before

Looks incredibly detailed! beautiful build!
Will you be posting during the moulding process, as I would love to see that. I am almost at the moulding stage now and have never done it before

I will be. I would've started this mold earlier this week, but I ran out of pourable catalyst for the silicone. The new batch should arrive today, so hopefully I'll have useful pics to post in a day or two.

I was wondering what happened to you and this project. Great work as always!

Thanks for the compliments.

I've been working on all sorts of things. I've cranked out nine fully finished HALO Spartan costumes and a significant armory of weapons to go with them, then built eight UNSC marine costumes to follow them around, started on an Isaac Clarke helmet from Dead Space 2, finished a Space Marine Chaplain helmet from Warhammer 40,000, and built the M-3 Predator Heavy pistol from Mass Effect 2.

In the background of pictures of those projects, you can occasionally pick out this helmet hanging in the rafters with my other neglected projects like my kid-sized Predator bio helmet, my Mk8 Space Marine helmet sculpt, my HALO3 shotgun, and others. I guess this guy just hasn't been a priority.

I was in a moldmaking mood today, so I got started on this thing:

It needs a couple more layers of goop, but it's coming along nicely. I'm confident I'll be pulling castings by the end of the week.

Looks like you are doing quite a bit of molding there, aside from the RC!

Yeah, I like to line them up so I've got plenty of places to put extra silicone if I mix too much. In this picture you can see the dome and faceplate for my Isaac Clarke helmet from Dead Space 2. I'm also very near to making the mold for my Assault Rifle from Halo 3. After that, I'll start making vacforming bucks for some Warhammer 40k Space Marine armor.

There is very little sitting still in my workshop.

Very Impressive sir! Your skills are excellent and the World's Slowest Build is the one that NEVER gets started!

More pink goop today:

Then some plurple goop again:

Tomorrow I'll turn it upside-down again and layer the neck hole a little more to reinforce the thin areas there.

Stay tuned...

Yesterday I flipped the whole shebang upside-down:

Then I reinforced the neck hole as planned:

Today I'll be making the mother mold out of fiberglass. Stay tuned...

Mothermold as promised.

Step one, make a clay wall and lay fiberglass on one side of the helmet:

Step two, turn the helmet around:

Step three, remove most of the clay wall. Leave enough to seal the gap between the fiberglass and the mothermold. Then grease the parting line with a liberal coat of vaseline:

Step four, lay up fiberglass on the other side:

Tomorrow I will drill the two halves of the mothermold so I can bolt them together. Then I'll clean up the edges, pull the whole thing apart, and peel the rubber jacket off of the pink prototype.

Then I'll rotocast one or two pulls of the helmet just to make sure the mold works. Once I've got pics of the pulls, I'll probably start an FS thread in the Junkyard to help pay for the rest of this project.

Stay tuned...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back