My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!)

Worked some on the sidewalls, I cut the pegs off the back and sanded them down flush, these pegs float the sidewalls off the frame by about 1/16 inch, so now I can just glue them straight to the metal frame flush and it ends making them deeper into the body which looks good, they were sitting a bit too flush with the edge of the ship...

cutPegs.jpg

Also I cut back the little insets so they don't sit flush with the plating from the hull making a perfect box for the sidewalls to sit in. Now they have that recessed look that lets the hull plating hang over like on the studio model which looks REALLY cool, one of my favorite parts of the ship. I was bummed when I saw that DeAgo messed it up, but luckily its a super easy fix, as well as getting the sidewalls to sit back deeper into the ship by removing those back tabs, they have been removed in the bottom image below and are flush with the inner metal frame now, so that is about as far back as they are gonna get. I'd like them back a bit more, but it is much better than it was...

Cut.jpg

Here is a compare of the studio model before all the overhang hull plating snapped off ; (
looks MUCH better IMO :D glad that was easy!!
sideWalls.jpg

going to sand down and re-panel and notch those inner plates that I trimmed down next.

Last edited:
Yea I did the same with mine. The MR Falcon had the same mistake of boxing in the plate overhang. I've also cut some slits where the panels meet and overhang to emphasize the slapped on armor panel look. I always liked that about the 5ft Falcon

Kokkari, you mean you cut out the part between the panels so they are separated on the overhang? I have been thinking about how to do this so that they don't look like notches just cut in (considred just removing all the panels around the perimeter and just replacing them with scratch built ones, but afraid they wouldn't match the rest since they are all molded) I'd love to see some pics of how that looks!

Last edited:
Here is what I've done so far. Just the lower hull. I used a little hobby saw. I'm debating on whether or not to widen them. It would be cool and get really crazy and warp some of the edges to represent the armor buckling you see in the 5ft version.
20161204_075458.jpg

Yeah that looks good! And is accurate to the model. I thought about using a heat gun and warping the edges as well, but then it is accurate to this model, I'm abit torn.

Yeah, I agree. That's a hard decision. I am more of the exact replica school myself. Ultimately, the more I think about it, I won't recreate the bends in the armor because it is too thick, and in my opinion won't look right.

Totally agree, I think I'm gonna try to level those to the correct thickness, they have that little incline ramp that bugs me! I need to really examine it though and make sure, I'm kinda worried it wild add height to the sidewalls, might just leave it... there are a bunch of plant ins that sit on that shelf the overhang makes, so guess it will come down to if it messes up how they seat there.

Worked some on the sidewalls, I cut the pegs off the back and sanded them down flush, these pegs float the sidewalls off the frame by about 1/16 inch, so now I can just glue them straight to the metal frame flush and it ends making them deeper into the body which looks good, they were sitting a bit too flush with the edge of the ship...

View attachment 687774

Also I cut back the little insets so they don't sit flush with the plating from the hull making a perfect box for the sidewalls to sit in. Now they have that recessed look that lets the hull plating hang over like on the studio model which looks REALLY cool, one of my favorite parts of the ship. I was bummed when I saw that DeAgo messed it up, but luckily its a super easy fix, as well as getting the sidewalls to sit back deeper into the ship by removing those back tabs, they have been removed in the bottom image below and are flush with the inner metal frame now, so that is about as far back as they are gonna get. I'd like them back a bit more, but it is much better than it was...

View attachment 687773

Here is a compare of the studio model before all the overhang hull plating snapped off ; (
View attachment 687775

going to sand down and re-panel and notch those inner plates that I trimmed down next.

Awesome! Like graig g said, I am gonna take a page out of your book and do the same. Thx for sharing.

Worked on this little blast gaurd area thing ha, the Flak parts look much better, the proportions are better and the pipes that run up the sides are more pronounced, plus you know its whats on the original ;) Need to go through the kit scans and track those other 2 parts down, looks like part of one of the 1/700 ship parts sits in the center with that starish shape pattern on it, and I assume that curved plate is from some military kit. It looks like that plate sits a little lower ( or maybe is smaller) than the DeAgo one as well, from the pics I have seen of the Falcon before it broke off.

Decided to lay down a strip of styrene to cover up the huge holes in the casting that the DeAgo part fit into.

FlakShieldReplace.jpg

FlakShieldReplace01.jpg

Found that little star shaped part on the 1/700 Taiho kit as well as a couple others! I'm pretty sure the little 3 barrel guns on the right are also on the Shinano kit, and the little part on the left is what is going down the center top mandible at the lead of each of the brass tubes, it just has the barrels cut off.

now just gotta track down the little shield plate part that sits on top!

1_700_Taiho.jpg

Does anyone know what that black vent material is they seem to have used in all the exhaust ports is? it doesn't look like plastic but almost like a vinyl or something. be cool to find out what it is.
BlackMesh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -
now that I look at the big one from the engine deck closer it looks like maybe those are air bubbles in it from where they cast it?

View attachment 687774

View attachment 687773

View attachment 687775

Awesome. I am going to steal this idea as it seemed to me that the wells were not deep enough. I am making a frankenfalcon with some 5 footer details so I am going to be bending the overhangs. I did this on my Fine Molds and I think it really gave it some more character. I have to see about sanding them down a bit, though I'm not sure yet. Again great work all around.

Rebuilt all the front mandible details with the P34 parts! Totally worth it, looks much better!

You can see the original DeAgo castings on the left and the updated kit parts on the right!
IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

Last edited:
I'm glad I've got those parts as I may do the same.

Also for those who aren't that familiar with the Falcon parts the parts for the mandible end caps are in a few 1/20 Tamiya F1 kits. I was fortunate in that I didn't have to buy the entire kit.

Reshaped the ring around the cockpit where it stops, had some bad slope to it from the casting process, cleaned it up and rounded the corners. Planted on the little HOOD ship greeble piece and done! Moving on to next area haha, I guess I'm just gonna redo all the plant on stuff, it will take a while but be worth it, looks so much better. I keep forgetting to take before shots!!

IMG_2708.JPGIMG_2709.JPG

Can anyone help ID this kit part, its looks like its part of something larger that was cut down, but for the life of me I can't find it. It's the last mystery piece I have left on the center block so any help would be much appreciated!! :D

centerJaw.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back