My first build: Daft Punk Helmets (in Progress)

chaba

Hey guys,

I've been trying to get into prop making as a hobby, and as a first Project I tackeled making Daft Punk Helmets -with electronics - as costumes for me and a friend.

I'm going to follow Tekparasites build on the Thomas one, but since I can't sculpt well and didn't want to buy a cast (im a college student so I am on a budget),
I decided to 3d-Print them using these two files from Thingiverse.com. My deadline is early-mid febuary for having the actual helmets done, but the electronics will probably take longer. I'm writing this thread because there are still a few things I might need help with and I thought maybe you guys would be willing to help me out ;) also I appreciaty all tips you have for me

Current Status:

Right now I printed both Helmets printed, bondoed, sanded and then primed. I also wrote the Code for the arduino I am going to be using for lighting in both helmets and have begun soldering the Thomas one, altough I still need to order the leds for the matrix. I still need to do both visors, do lighting and get them to look like chrome for cheap somehow (ugh that one is gonna be tough).
I still need to do a bit of spotfixing, I've seen most of you use bondo spot putty for this, but they dont sell that where I live (Germany). What are good alternatives for spotfixing?
WP_20150104_011.jpgWP_20150106_002.jpg

Current Questions:
- How can I get a good chrome (and gold) color without actually having to chrome it?
- What can I use to fix the rest of the spot?

Progress:

So I printed out both of the Helmets from the files above, and calbetied and glued them together (which wasn't all that simple because my 3d printer is self-built and can suffer some inacuracies) and ended up with something like this:
WP_20141203_006.jpgWP_20141203_009.jpg

Then I bondoed and sanded the helmet and put some primer on:
WP_20141205_001.jpgWP_20141209_005.jpgWP_20141227_001.jpgWP_20141220_005.jpgh
in the pics he still has no ears, but I have added those since. will take new pictures later today.

Last edited:
For electronics I plan to do the same thing Tek did: I got myself a sure-electronics 8x32 LED matrix and hooked up an arduino to it. Sadly I couldn't get the code he provided in his thread to work for me, so I made my own. These are the lighting modes I have so far:
Today I went ahead and cut off the LEDs on the driver chip so I could wire them to a self-made LED matrix. here is the board with headers soldered to it:
WP_20150104_001.jpg

For Visors: Doing the Thomas one will not be a problem, I plan on getting some acrylic glas from a hardware store, heat it in my oven and then bend it - pretty straight forward. The Guy-man one will be more complicated. But since my father has a vacuum-forming machine at work and Ben Dinger on thingiverse was nice enough to give a printable mold for vacuum forming a visor, I will print that. I'm half done with that now, but I ran out of filament so I will have to wait for the other half.
WP_20150104_002.jpgWP_20150104_009.jpg
Do I have to sand this too or does it not matter because it will just be the inside?

Attachments

• WP_20150104_001.jpg
    WP_20150104_001.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 117
Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Visor is done, I got spray-tint and PET from a home depot store, pretty straight forward. It looks kinda off though, somehow. I don't know why
WP_20150106_003.jpgWP_20150106_004.jpgWP_20150106_015.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back