My firefly collection so far. (new pics added on page 3)

Re: My firefly collection so far.

Don't want to hijack Jason's thread. Briefly, though, mine started out as Sidkit, but was brass plated and sealed. The sealer used by the plater made it look like plastic, imo. That's how it came to me. I didn't care for the overall look, and decided to experiment. So, I removed the grips, barrel and masked off a couple of places on the frame. Shot is LIBERALLY with Testors Dullcoat, let it dry, then noticed that the gun felt cold to the touch and looked more like metal. Next, I applied 2 coats of a metalizer lacquer, letting each dry coat dry for about 6 hours. Once the last coat was dry I used very fine steel wool to selectively remove the metallic paint - but, not the Dullcoat underneath - and reveal the brass plating, giving it an aged look. Once I was happy with the look, I rehung it and shot it with 2 more coats of Dullcoat.

Last edited:

That's certainly something new. I tend to find that matte finishes make metal look less metallic. I have my two sidkits very heavy coats of high gloss... almost to the point of running... which makes them look sorta well-oiled.

I rehung it and shot it with 2 more coats of Dullcoat.

Sup keelhauler, its that guy that cant find the sweet jayne hats. I kept going back to the store but they never had them in stock. Sorry 'bout that bro.

Hey mullet! That's too bad. I was really hoping to get one! :( No prob, though. someday they'll turn up again! Welcome to the RPF!!

search eBay under jayne cobb hat

There are a bunch of nice Mrs. Cobb hats for $10 to $40.

one Buy-It-Now (BIN) for $15
two (BIN) for $25
one (BIN) for $30

The ones starting at 99 cents don't look right because they have
an open weave look, but the 15 to 30 dollar hats looked nice to me.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the info. But we are talking about the Train Job hat, the one he's wearing when he jumps onto the train. Mullet had a bead on some that were nearly identical to the one in the show (only the liner color was different).

I've got a Wilco resin Mal pistol as well. I have it sitting on my computer desk at home and I tend to "pew pew pew" it while waiting for stuff to load. :lol

Actually, I thought it was:

Carefully aimed shot - miss
Adjust sighting
Mentally say "Aw, eff it."
Hip ship and bullseye

A little closer look at my Zoe guns.
gun1.jpg

gun3.jpg

gun5.jpg

gun9.jpg

gun7.jpg

gun8-1.jpg

I got this knife case for a few bucks at a yard sale years ago, and have been tripping over it ever since, not knowing what I wanted to put in it, so last week I rigged up this display. I need to change the black, but over all I like it.
guncase3.jpg

Here's my hidey whole for some of my newer/bigger props.
clositeone.jpg

closset2.jpg

guns.jpg

Works in progress.
otherstuff2-1.jpg

Shiny collection you have there, Jason! I'm working on my Sidkit Mal at the moment, I'm hoping to get it plated in a couple of weeks, but I'm scared of the plater ruining it. :lol

Any info you'd share on Mal's screwdriver? I've not heard anything about it before now.

A member here sent me pics, a long time back, and then they had a set of 3 for sale on the Prop story of London's site.

I'm doing the stunt version because I like it better. :) It's just a circuit tester, with a flat head screw driver in place of the spike that the test comes with. If your not overly nuts about detail, they have a very close circuit tester at Meijer in the automotive section for like $6. If you do have to have something dead on, I got the one in my pic from Amazon.com I forget the brand, and I don't seem to have the link anymore. Sorry about that.

All I did was pull out the spick, and wiring from the tester, and used a nedel file to make the hole (were the spick goes) just a little bigger. Cut down a piece of metal rod, tap it in (it was a really tight fight, so I took my time, so I didn't brack the plastic) And then I used a file to turn the tip of the rod, into a flat head screw driver. I still need to add the details they added with marker, but it's close to being done. :)

Here are the propstore pics of the originals.

Group shot of the hero, and 2 stunts.
serenity-3screwdrivers1.jpg

A closer look at the hero.
serenity-malscrewdriver2.jpg

One of the stunts. (this is the one I'm basing mine on, I just like it better then the hero. :) )
serenity-3screwdrivers3.jpg

And here is a slopy stunt version. :)
serenity-3screwdrivers2.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back