my Captain America Winter Soldier Stealth Suit WIP

grey matter

Hey Gang!

I decided this year to do Captain America's Stealth Suit for a Wizard World con that is coming to my area for the first time this year in the fall (also making a Skyward Sword Link, so look for that build sometime soon), I'll wear this for Halloween this year too, and I plan on taking whatever I have done to the midnight showing of the movie as well.

I'm going to post my progress here, so you can follow along with me on this build.

I decided to tackle the shield and harness first. For Christmas this past year, my wife got me the Disguise adult costume shield, so I was stoked! I wanted this to look a little more movie accurate.

I immediately cut those terrible elastic straps out!

IMG_4759.jpgIMG_5191.JPG

I made brackets for straps to go onto the shield out of 1/4 inch PVC board (Foamex board). It was easy to cut with an exacto knife and could be heated and bent into the curved shape to sit inside the shield (I just turned on a stove burner and heated up the board over it). I attached the brackets to the shield with 3M extreme mounting tape, I had to sand/rough up the side i was putting the tape on for it to really stick well, but it sure does stick!

IMG_5178.JPGIMG_5192.JPG

I decided that I wanted the shield to attach to my back and I was determined to use the harness to hold it in place. So I used a screw post extension as the "hook" to hold it on the harness (see the harness details for how that works). Since the shield is just plastic and the brackets are PVC, it is all still very lightweight. The hardware for the brackets to hold the straps in place were the heaviest parts ;)

I used Chicago screws, as many other members have used, to hold all the hardware in place. I made the belts/straps out of these laptop sleeves I found at 5below (everything in the store is $5 or under) for $1! I cleaned out every store in my local area of the brown vinyl ones. They are nice because it is slightly thicker that vinyl off of a roll at a fabric store and it has a soft fabric backing for added comfort. The sleeves were just one piece of the fabric sewn up on the edges to make the sleeve, so all I had to do was cut the stitching out and lay them flat. Plus it was WAY cheaper than vinyl by the yard! I cut some 1 1/5" strips, stitched the detail lines on the edges, and got some nice buckles to go on them and used heavy duty snaps to attach them.

IMG_5208.JPGIMG_5209.JPG

After I had all the hardware in place to ensure it would work, I removed it all and started the painting process for the inside of the shield (for now I am just leaving the outside alone). I masked off the front and coated the shield in plasti-dip and then Rustoleum professional metallic aluminum (actually I used a Krylon matt silver first and it rubbed off on everything! so I re-did it all with the rustoleum)

IMG_5199.jpgIMG_5203.JPGIMG_5212.jpgIMG_5214.jpg

I let that all sit so that the paint had set properly (colder weather, longer drying times, blah blah blah) and the put the hardware and strap on it. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. and I am able to use the shield in either my right or left hand.

IMG_5220.jpgIMG_5217.jpgIMG_5221.jpg

Next up the harness...

For the harness, I wanted it to look as close to the one that Cap is wearing in the movie, so again I used the PVC board to make the "hardware" part of the back buckle.

I cut it in two parts, a bottom layer for stability and a top layer for details and just superglued them together (it holds REALLY well).

IMG_5165.jpgIMG_5166.jpgIMG_5193.jpgIMG_5169.jpg

I then shaved and sanded the edges of the PVC to give it a softer more finished metal feel.

IMG_5282.jpg

The goal is for this to hold the shield on my back as well, so I made the notch to hold the screw extension that is on the shield.

IMG_5286.jpgIMG_5285.jpgIMG_5284.jpgIMG_5287.jpg

I then coated this all in plasti-dip and painted it just like the shield. Actually, this time I used the Krylon again before knowing about the rub off issue and it was a disaster. see for yourself...

IMG_5251.jpgIMG_5252.jpg

I could not get the plasti-dip off, so I had to make another one. That one is still in the painting process, but I used it unpainted to test the straps.

I used the same vinyl as the straps on the shield for the straps for this. I made them in multi layers and multiple parts. I used heavy duty snaps again to hold these in place, because there was not any visible signs on the movie version that it was sewn to the hardware, so I wanted to keep that look on mine as well. I made the clavicle buckle thing out of masonite and painted it silver and the tips of the straps are just covered in matte finish aluminum tape. I connected the front and back straps with a piece of elastic for stretch and mobility instead of cutting one whole piece of the vinyl (I also had to do this because the vinyl form the laptop sleeves were not big enough to make it in one piece) As you'll see, the straps are cut into curves for a better fit.

IMG_5159.JPGIMG_5210.JPGIMG_5211.JPGIMG_5204.jpg
IMG_5205.jpgIMG_5297.jpgIMG_5295.jpg

Here it is on (that's my stand in jacket until I can finish the suit, but I really like the way the brown stands out on the navy blue) And yes, I'll shave the beard ;)

IMG_5291.jpgIMG_5292.jpgIMG_5293.jpgIMG_5294.jpg

The shield fits in the notch like a champ! I'll get pics of that up as soon as the paint is dry on the back buckle.

More to come soon!

Great Start! I like the shield straps. They turned out great!

Thanks! They're pretty comfortable too.

Lookin' superb so far!

Thanks!

Damn, I wish I was as good as you :/

Would you be willing to take a commission on the harness?

Wow, thanks! I'll think about commission for the harness. I know I would not be able to get done in time for the premiere, and I know that I will be out of the vinyl I'm using.
PM me and we can chat about the details to see if it's feasible.

I'll be working on the belt next, trying to get that started tomorrow.

Started working on the belt...

So far, I've cut are the vinyl for the belt and cut out the top part for the buckle (and a rough bottom part)

IMG_5305.jpgIMG_5308.jpg

I found the pouches online and will use those unless I have the time to make some more screen accurate ones.
Still need to sew the material together and figure out a way to work a closure onto the belt. I am thinking that I am going to use velcro to do it, just not sure yet.

Looking really great so far! Are you able to link where you purchased the pouches? I too am thinking I'll need to resort to buying them unless I magically gain extra time to make them.

Hi Josh. I have one of those Disguise shields too and think I will upgrade it as you've done here. Looking at the steps you took, I have a question, please. You wrote that you, "masked off the front and coated the shield in plasti-dip," before painting. What was the point of the plasti-dip? Why not just paint the inside of the shield as-is? What advantage does the plasti-dip give you? Thanks!

Hi Josh. I have one of those Disguise shields too and think I will upgrade it as you've done here. Looking at the steps you took, I have a question, please. You wrote that you, "masked off the front and coated the shield in plasti-dip," before painting. What was the point of the plasti-dip? Why not just paint the inside of the shield as-is? What advantage does the plasti-dip give you? Thanks!

The plasti-dip gives the paint a flexible surface to be on since that shield can be a little flimsy and bend in areas. On projects like this that I have done in the past, without plasti-dip the paint cracks and flakes off very easy. I've tossed this one around a bit, I even accidentally dropped it on the floor and no cracks or flaking so far.

Good question, scarletspidey85. And I'd like to know, please, grey matter, more about the 1/4 inch PVC board (Foamex board) and where to get it, if I could impose for more info.

I am thinking of going this same rout for a shield for my costume. did the strap brackets give the shield any stability?

nice work

Wow! That's looking good so far! Looking forward to seeing your continued progress!!!

Thank you!

I am thinking of going this same rout for a shield for my costume. did the strap brackets give the shield any stability?

Good question, scarletspidey85. And I'd like to know, please, grey matter, more about the 1/4 inch PVC board (Foamex board) and where to get it, if I could impose for more info.

The PVC board is just as sturdy as .25" plywood. I was able to cut it using an xacto knife with some elbow grease and a jigsaw worked well to (use a blade for "fine" cuts), the benefit is that it looks like a solid piece after you cut it (like metal) and you can heat it to mold/bend it into shapes. After it cools, it is just as sturdy as it was before. So, yes, to answer your question, it really does improve the stability. You can really feel the Cap like significance of the shield with the brackets added.

here is a source for the PVC board
Sintra PVC Foam board is a very durable pvc sheet. Sintra PVC Foam is for photo mounting, display construction and a variety of other uses. Excellent for outdoor use. Sintra PVC is also available with a self-adhesive peel and stick film for mounting.

The straps and harness look fantastic! Great work!

Thanks again everyone!
I will be working more on this soon (I had a delay due to work).

Oh! and real quick, you don't necessarily need to use the plastidip method on the PVC board if it is not something that is going to flex (it is really not worth the trouble). I primered the belt buckle and then painted it silver and I've had no issue with it. Pics soon!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back