My Can-I-Really-Do-This? project: Armageddon Freedom Shuttle (finished)

Re: My next Can-I-Really-Do-This? project: an Armageddon Shuttle

Don't forget to replace those SSME engine bells with something more resembling jet engine exhausts...
Hey- I'll do what I can, remember, my remaining budget on this build is $0.00.:lol

Gotta let the side stabilizers set before tackling the rear housing extension.

SANY4484.jpg

Wow! I love the film and the shuttle!
Hey, quick sidebar: I have the regular version AND the Criterion version on DVD, do you have any preference? I like the scene with Stamper's Dad, but I kinda think it stammers the pace a tad...

Okay, now THIS is the hard part. I had to make each half of the rear extension housing in exactly 2 minutes because after that, the putty starts hardening & wont stick to anything properly, so I had to try & come close, but not make it too small. THAT means after work tomorrow, I'll be carving, filing & sanding for A LONG TIME to get it just right.

SANY4485.jpg

SANY4490.jpg

The canard fins go on last because they're the most fragile parts & wouldn't take kindly to the manhandling necessary in this next step.:wacko

Plus, more modding to the exhausts is clearly in order. At the very least, I have to extend the lower two.

Last edited:

First round of sanding done. Well, not 'done', my arm's tired. But the chunky stuff is over, the subtler sanding is next.

SANY4492.jpg

SANY4494.jpg

FYI, epoxy putty is good & strong, but it's difficult to sand. There's always a trade off with materials.:rolleyes

Putty sand putty sand... why am I being so severe?
This is an obsession.
Do I smell dikironium?:lol

SANY4496.jpg

*sigh* more sanding to come.
Note: The exhaust extensions, like the canard fins, will be the last bits to add before painting.

Last edited:

I'll have to revisit my notes as the look of this one length-wise feels right with the boat tail extension and the nose where it is. Do you plan to add the bulged "cheeks" heading towards the nose as well?

Your skill with the epoxy putty on the back is excellent BTW.

Do you plan to add the bulged "cheeks" heading towards the nose as well?
No, I'll just sand a bit more to simulate it slightly. If this were twice the scale, I'd feel compelled to though.:cool
Honestly, this kit is so inaccurate, that if I can just get the 'look' right from a couple of feet away for a total cost of $25 (plus $4.00 of light blue metallic paint in a couple of days), I'll call it a win. In any case, it'll be at least as accurate as the FP model!:thumbsup
Your skill with the epoxy putty on the back is excellent BTW.
Thanks! :rolleyes

It isn't metallic blue, it's grey.
Okay, so grey with a touch of blue then- like it looked in space. I'll throw the movie on again to check, thanks.

And I found some old sheet styrene, so maybe I'll do the 'cheeks' near the nose after all!:love

Looks sweet mate.
Thanks!

Most all is done, just adding detail to the exhausts with epoxy resin. Gotta let it get solid, then Ill sculpt them. The canard fins are a simple glue on.

Painting will be very interesting & fun!:love

SANY4498.jpg

Do you have a secret for sanding those engine bells down with the putty on them and keeping them even? In my case I might have gone for sticking an afterburner can from a get engine on the back instead (if I had found one of the appropriate diameter to graft on that is). But as you say, this model is designed to be a budget buster so I understand why you are going this route.

I also assume the auxilliary rocket boosters are going to remain stock (since they are one of the few things the kit seems to have gotten right)?

Do you have a secret for sanding those engine bells down with the putty on them and keeping them even?
Umm, no. :unsure Like everything else, I'll do it by eye.
In my case I might have gone for sticking an afterburner can from a jet engine on the back instead
That would have definitely been my first choice if I had extra coin!
I also assume the auxilliary rocket boosters are going to remain stock
I'm leaving them off- this is a shuttle post Roadrunner Thrust Maneuver.:lol
Besides, I already cannibalized them.:love

That's something that bugged me about the FP kit, wings, little details..but mostly that the boosters didn't have the cool little jet engine deal on the tip.

I had to research the X-71 all by myself, there wasn't anything particularly devoted to it on the internet. So it was a challenge, I still feel they should've done more tweaks on that FP kit...then again, I do have 2 that are unbuilt. Maybe I shall tweakaroo, your build is quite inspiring, Chrisisall. ;)

I never realized how different the revel kit was from the in movie models. The rovers and shuttles were my favorite part of the movie.

Another angle; still working on the exhausts...

SANY4507.jpg

The FP kit is really good, minor tweaking would bring it to perfection IMO.

You are an excellent sculptor. You've brought it beyond anything I could imagine this kit becoming. You should be proud, and it's only 25 dollars.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back