My Can-I-Really-Do-This? project: Armageddon Freedom Shuttle (finished)

Re: My next Can-I-Really-Do-This? project: an Armageddon Shuttle

If you are willing to make mistakes and keep on going. Nothing can stop you, but your own psych.
LOL, and lack of Bondo/sand paper...:behave
You're right, of course. It's a matter of patience & precision.

LOL, and lack of Bondo/sand paper...:behave
You're right, of course. It's a matter of patience & precision.

I;ve went weeks when I had to work on real life stuff and come back and buy the mess that I needed to play, but whe you get the bug... You'll find a way..

Maybe, it would be better to start from an easier starting point - a block of bass wood. Carve the shape out of the wood, and then vac-form your own outer shell. Or if you don't like vac forming, you could always make resin casts off your wooden buck

The revell kit is wrong in so many places, it wouldn't even be worth using it as a starting point. Everything is absolutely wrong. The over-all body shape is wrong, and it's too short. There is no way you could use that much bondo and by the time you were done re-shaping new styrene add-on bits, you have been better off starting from scratch.

Sometimes, you have to know when a project just isn't feasible. Using the revell kit to build the armageddon shuttle, is one of those times. Start from scratch and you'll have a much easier time,

-Fred

I agree with Fred. I'd be carving this out of wood or foam urethane. There was a thread with a link about a year ago, where one of the ILM guy's, forget who, just grabbed a piece of foam and in a few hours had a big shuttle. He then epoxied the whole thing and voila... Shuttle. I think it may have been a Japanese doco. But I could be wrong. Very interesting , but definitely the way I would go.

Sometimes, you have to know when a project just isn't feasible. Using the revell kit to build the armageddon shuttle, is one of those times.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...... you realize of course that now I *HAVE* to do it....:love:lol

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...... you realize of course that now I *HAVE* to do it....:love:lol

Reminds me of that scene in MPATHG:

"Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show them."

Well, the knock at my door an hour ago was the Postal person with my shuttle model.

SANY4461.jpg

So, first basic parts glued to determine what next...
SANY4464.jpg

Sadly, the canards I was happy to see on the model will be scrapped- they're not just shaped wrong, they're in the wrong spot. The back has to be extended- I knew that already, and the wings clipped a bit on the back end. And They were glued to be at a slightly lower angle in relation to the main hull than they were meant to be.

Gee wizz, I'm already having fun!:cool

Looks like you’ve got yourself quite a challenge. Good luck and looking forward to this. :thumbsup

Well, if you are indeed going to do it, grab a second Revell shuttle. You will need to add 3/4ths of an inch in front of the payload bay and 1/2 an inch behind since the X-71 is longer. So the best thing to do is use one shuttle kit for the center fuselage with the nose and tail cut off in front and behind the payload bay (being careful to keep the wing attachments down low). Then chop the nose off the prime cut cut 3/4" behind the front payload bay bulkhead and 1/2" in front of the aft bulkhead. Then glue them together for the stretched limo look with the wing points at the proper positions.

And that is only the start...

How are you going to tackle adding the belly bulge - that odd shaped ridgeline that sits between the engine nacelles and the main wings? That much bondo won't dry, let alone hold up.

Good luck - I look forward to seeing how this progresses :cool

-Fred

If your he'll bent on doing it this way , then I'd listen to JMC. He's your shuttle guy around here. Looks like they may have used some standard shuttle tooling on this so you may get away with chopping up one of those if you can't get the Armageddon one. Also I'd buy some styrene if I were you. I think your gonna need it.

Thanks, those are great ideas, but like most stuff I do just for me, this is the budget: $25. The kit + shipping already cost me that, so the rest is what I have lying around.

Simple things first:

I need me some backing... luckily the kit comes with extra pieces intended for the normal shuttle kit-
SANY4466.jpg

SANY4468.jpg

The 'intakes' start too far up, so I'll take 'em down & use what I take off for backing...
SANY4469.jpg

SANY4471.jpg

This way the filling in will be minimized.

If your hell bent on doing it this way , then I'd listen to JMC. He's your shuttle guy around here.
Since the scale of the model is smaller than I had at first imagined, I'm not gonna be a rivet counter on this one (I don't mean that as a bad thing, I can get into counting rivets...). This is a budget build, the question is how close can I come with nearly nothing besides the kit?:love

Me too not recommend you to use that kit. Shape the balsa wood and apply car filler and sand it. Vacuum form or cast it. If you imagine, you can make it. I want to see it comes for real.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back