My Builds: The growing of an eclectic collection

Re: WIP: DL-18, GK, Droid Blaster, E-11, DH-17, Jedi Belt

Back to the droid blaster. Not much progress the last few days. Doing some more fill work. The two part resin I used to hold the metal arms to the body failed. Currently I am trying gorilla glue to see if there is a better result.

I've been filling and sanding the last few days. The Gorilla Glue seems to be working. I got one more spot that I had to refill. Hopefully once I sand that spot, I can start to paint. I will be doing a coat of silver with flat black over that. I prefer to weather by lightly sanding through the top black layer. I don't have good results with the dry brush technique.

I'm ready to start painting.

IMG_1497.jpg

The Bondo work is not perfect but any flaws should be hidden with the weathering. Since I usually stay away from kits/builds I have little experience doing it, This is the most i have ever done on one project.

Next: Silver undercoat.

Yours look much cleaner and is prepped way better than the droid blaster I did many many years ago.
Do you happen to know what they used to sell for back the days?

Also have a disassembled Grievous blaster in one of the many boxes of my workshop...planned to upgrade with metal parts but never proceeded with it/ lost interest in the toy blasters :/

Markus

Yours look much cleaner and is prepped way better than the droid blaster I did many many years ago.

Thank you for saying that. That means a lot to me. I was glad I had Corellian Exports do the initial rear section of the blaster 10 years ago. I don't think I would have done anywhere as good as a job. I didn't realize it till I sanded the body that he put some real metal rivets in the handle and metal tubing in the barrel and the front of the upper piston rod looking thing.

Do you happen to know what they used to sell for back the days?

FIVE DOLLARS!!!!

Well okay, I think they retailed for $19.99. I know that the smaller Tatooine electronic blaster pistols sold for $14.99. However, I picked up 4 or 5 of them when Wal-Mart clearanced them out for $5 each in late 1999. I had two converted, (the first one was stolen which is why I had the second converted, and that is the one you see now). I either gave one or two away in trade of goods and/or services and I still have one in it's original packaging stored away..

Also have a disassembled Grievous blaster in one of the many boxes of my workshop...planned to upgrade with metal parts but never proceeded with it/ lost interest in the toy blasters :/

Markus

I bought a Grievous blaster too for the same reason. it looked like an easy mod. But I often have hard time starting projects or fear that I may just ruin it. i ended up giving it to my son.

Silver undercoat complete:

IMG_1498.jpg

Next:
1. Mask off the appropriate silver areas
2. Apply matte black paint
3. Weather with 600 and 1000 grit wet automotive sandpaper

I guess my next project will be the re-mod of my DH-17 based on the Hasbro toy. The big change will be the removal of the molded plastic scope and mount and replace it with a replica scope and mount (from an MR DH-17 purchased from OdiWan72). I would also like to mod the trigger, and possibly the trigger guard if I can figure out something to replace it for the round look.

I am already dreading cutting down the dovetail. I only have a hacksaw and I fear I will mangle it.

I am also pondering how I will finish it. Currently it is weather showing faux paint wear to expose metal. However, the scope I am adding is is pristine shape and I have no intentions of beating it up. Therefore it would look stupid to have a weathered body and pristine scope. So that means I will have to make the body pristine as well. I guess that is ok since the bodies of the real props were cast in black and the only paint added was the port on the side. I suppose a pristine (or not weathered) DH-17 for the A New Hope version is realistic. After all, the Tantive IV was in service of the Royal House of Alderaan so they probably kept everything new and clean, even its armory.

The battle droid blaster is almost complete. During the weathering process, one of the rear arms fell off (its always something). I have it glued and clamped at the moment. Once it has sufficiently bonded, i will do some touching up of the area an it will be done.

As previously mentioned, the Solo GK Blaster was being constructed by Scottjua. The blaster is now complete and is in transit. For the sake of argument, I'm calling it complete.

Here is a video Scottjua posted of my blaster:

Last edited by a moderator:

More awesome work by Scott ... that trigger looks amazing! Is the scope a Weaver K2.5?

Re: Blaster Projects on the Workbench: DL-18, GK, Droid Blaster, E-11, DH-17 and othe

Anyone ever make A New Hope (thick and round...no jokes please) trigger guard for the DH-17? If so, any advice?

Re: Blaster Projects on the Workbench: DL-18, GK, Droid Blaster, E-11, DH-17 and othe

^_^ Sweet action!

Fantastic looking Greedo Killer :)

Thank you. I just purchased a different scope for it. It is going to be about .25" shorter and the knobs and shape of the bell will be a lot closer. Here it is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131241119857

It's a lot different than a lot of the other Weaver 2.5 scopes I've been looking at. This will hold me till someone does a metal Compac Super 2 1/2 Scope.

EDIT: Here is the blaster with the new scope:

Attachments

• IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 400
Last edited:

That's really cool, I'm starting to get parts together for a Greedo killer build myself & am very interested in the scopes people have used,

I don't have a hope of finding a compac so I've been looking at the Weaver scopes (much rather have a real scope than resin)

I'd seen the weaver K1.5 used but wasn't sure about the K2.5 & K3 as I had no idea what size they were, it's really hard to tell the length from pictures of scopes on their own :lol

Seeing your awesome blaster has made me think I can broaden my search a bit

trouble is finding sellers willing to post to the UK,

That's really cool, I'm starting to get parts together for a Greedo killer build myself & am very interested in the scopes people have used,

I don't have a hope of finding a compac so I've been looking at the Weaver scopes (much rather have a real scope than resin)

I'd seen the weaver K1.5 used but wasn't sure about the K2.5 & K3 as I had no idea what size they were, it's really hard to tell the length from pictures of scopes on their own :lol

Seeing your awesome blaster has made me think I can broaden my search a bit

trouble is finding sellers willing to post to the UK,

As mentioned above, the scope attached is a Weaver K3 60 B Rifle Scope. If you see the video above, Scottjua compares in size to the real Compac scope. I wasn't going to switch it out but the for mentioned scope caught my eye. Once I get the new one, this on will be going up for sale.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back