MY 2ND ATTEMPT AT A 1:1 BUST *Lando*

Thanks again everyone for your input. Goodbye Lionel Ritchie, goodbye Richard Pryor, hello Billy Dee Williams' much less attractive half-brother :lol . As you can see I have made alotta progress thanks to the help from fellow board members, especialy Wampa, thanks for the advice and great reference material Tom :thumbsup . I will be posting full pics soon, just gotta do some more work on it. I am really excited about this project, I think the finished product will surprise alot of people here. Gimme some feedback guys... Thanks, Bill

I am finally getting the hang of this sculpting thing :D . I still have more work to do, but I finally feel like I am "getting there". Please give me some feedback guys, it has really helped in the past :thumbsup . Bill

landos1.jpg

MUCH improved Billy.

Way to stick with it and keep workin' man. You're really making a lot of progress.

I sent you a few thoughts in reply to your email but you're on the right track.

Tom

Wow, thats looking way more like him, Seriously itd be neat to see it with photoshopped hair , stash etc...

Keep goin .

B

to me it seems his eyes are uneven. His right eye, *left looking at the pics* seems too far forward, or his other eye is further back.

What I mean is, they don't look like matching orbital sockets in the same skull.

It's shaping up. Looking really close now.

I would like to add one thing. The fakey stash he had on before, I know hair is a very difficult thing to reproduce, but notice how BDW's beard isn't perfectly thick, like Tom Selleck, it has uneven lip coverage (for lack of a better way to say it). I have found in doing pencil and ink portraits for many years that it is actually the imperfections that really capture a person some times.

But really, you are doing great so far, and I have enjoyed the progress. Please keep posting those pictures.

Njc--------------------------------------

Thanks Neoland, and everyone else for the input :thumbsup . Here is the latest pic, I think I am really close now, just tiny bit of tweaking to do. I hope I can do his hair/mustache justice, because like Neoland stated, this will really help in capturing the character. I have someone really talented that is going to help me with the hair ;) . I don't want to sculpt the mustache/hair, I am not a fan of sculpted hair, I think it takes away from the illusion of "reality". I will doing this as a foam filled latex bust, with glass eyes, "real" hair/mustache/eyebrows, and clothed shoulders. I am even going to try to find his inner cape material, or something really close to it :D .Let me know what you think guys.

lando11.jpg

This is so very awesome. I love it. I wish someone would start a basic head sculpting tutorial on here. I'd love to try something like this but have absolutely no idea where to start. So impressive. Congradulations on a job well done.

Thanks for the kind words guys :D . DarkLordVader, the best advice I can give you is grab a lump of clay, and just keep working on it until it starts to look like something, thats what I did :lol . I am sure there are books and videos that can help, I am sure I could have avoided alot of hurdles if I had educated myself alittle before I dove in, but I seriously think that the best way to learn is to DO. Bill

WOW, I'm completely floored by how this is progressing. It is really taking shape and Mr. Dee Williams' features and "spirit" is definitely beginning to show.

At first I didn't really know how to comment on the project, but these latest updates have definitely taken me by surprise and I simply had to express my amazement of this turn-around for the better.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup

Thanks NoHumorMan, and everyone else for the kind words :D . He is molded up (thanks Tom :thumbsup ), and I will start a new thread in a few weeks with the complete/finished foam-filled latex bust. Here is a picture that was taken of the clay sculpt right before Tom and I molded it up (Tom did most of the work :lol ). The photo is Half Billy Dee, and half my sculpt. The angles are alittle off, which is making the eyes look alittle wacky. The photo of Billy Dee is from straight on, and slightly from the right, and my sculpt was photographed alittle "from underneath", and slightly from the left. I also sculpted mine with the mouth slightly more closed (for molding reasons), so the lower lip is alittle higher. That being said, I think everything lines up quite well, and I think that once the bust is completed, it will be unmistakably "Lando" ;) . Let me know what you think guys.

lando22.jpg

Hey, Billy. I just read this post from start to finish and watched the rough sculpture at the begining morph into an excellent likeness of Billy D. You finally nailed it, and did an awesome job, man, especially for it to be your second bust. :thumbsup :thumbsup Hope my next one turns out that good. :) Keep us posted.

Bill

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back