Mutara Nebula DeBoers E and R Build

Still working on the R, but real life sometimes takes away model time. I have the sides cleaned up, working on the aft portion of the main hull and getting closer to shooting paint on the roll bar.

Cheers,
James

20220605_135520.jpg

Uggg, just realized I screwed up the RCS thruster painting on the main hull, so get to go fix that, they did look odd.
Oh my, that doesn’t look fun. How on earth do you fix an issue like this without causing more problems? I’m so impressed with your build, I completely missed the overpainted RCS thrusters.

Sorry for your trouble, but I’m looking forward to seeing the repair.

Update #112

For the repair, I taped off the area and sanded as much of the yellow and red off. White has a hard time covering so I removed the paint first. The painted white, then some Blue/Brown/2xGreys, then light white, then the sensor bands back in. They came out pretty good. I do have some yellow to touch up but will do that with a brush and some 1200 grit sandpaper to smooth it back out.

Took some vacation from work to work on the model, and around the house. The good news is that I am done with the airbrush, I think. This is what I have left, on the model:

- Touch up with a brush – there are a few areas that will need to be built up and sanded smooth, but that is ok.
- Decals – I ordered another sheet from DeBoers. I had messed up 2 of them, so might as well redo them with brand new decals.
- Need to make the impulse engine covers, paint them and glue them on. The issue is my resin printer motherboard generates an error on the z-axis, so she won't work. The new motherboard is in the mail.

For the base, still working on getting the plexiglass here for the base. I have the new PCBs to do the light control, will build 1, test it, then build the other 20ish or so. :( Will make sense when you see it. I need the board to have an active low control signal on all of the LEDs. I don’t want nor need all LEDs in the ship to be super bright, I want most to be dimmish. Dimmer LEDs last a lot longer when you don't crank up the voltage. I am also finishing up the base sides. I am happy with the gloss finish, not perfect, but tired of spending hours, so almost perfect is it. Write code, solder, test, write more code, more soldering and switch install! Getting close!! I thought maybe the summer of 23, might be a lot sooner. Then I will work on a few plastic models before finishing up the Enterprise. I don't think I will ever do another resin model again after the Enterprise!

Cheers,
James

20220928_093539.jpg

20220928_093529.jpg

20220929_143814.jpg

20220929_143824.jpg

20220929_143818.jpg

20220929_143831.jpg

I got the parts that I needed to work on the base. I didn't realize it has been a year since I posted this, but I am working on the Reliant full time again. I can get to 98% complete now, still waiting on 2 more parts for the top of the base, but here is a shot of the base with inserts! Took several hours to get everything to fit properly and line up. I need to go back and do some minor touch up on the base and paint the area behind the plexi black. I also need to finish the tops f the outer base with glossy black paint, the glue it up and start installing switches etc into the panels. Then, a lot of soldering and wiring into the base, very excited!

20231016_170837.jpg

I got the parts that I needed to work on the base. I didn't realize it has been a year since I posted this, but I am working on the Reliant full time again. I can get to 98% complete now, still waiting on 2 more parts for the top of the base, but here is a shot of the base with inserts! Took several hours to get everything to fit properly and line up. I need to go back and do some minor touch up on the base and paint the area behind the plexi black. I also need to finish the tops f the outer base with glossy black paint, the glue it up and start installing switches etc into the panels. Then, a lot of soldering and wiring into the base, very excited!

View attachment 1751486
That control panel is gorgeous! Where did you get it made, if you don't mind me asking.

That control panel is gorgeous! Where did you get it made, if you don't mind me asking.
Laserfire Creations. Matt is an awesome guy, great attention to detail and delivered a fantastic acrylic panel. He is swamped though and he has to do his day job worth of work first, then extra stuff on the side. So the panels are amazing but have taken a looong time to get them. I did all of the veneer work, another hobby of mine is making furniture.

I know I am slow on posting, but the working I am doing is really slow, and not very photographic. Pre-wiring 100 switches is not terribly exciting, nor is checking that they all work after the solder work. One of them failed, so super glad I tested them all! Also, soldering all of the circuit boards up by hand takes some time. But, I have a few pics of some, what I think, really cool progress. So, here are the pics!

This is the right third of the front panel, and the white PCBs are the redesigned and rebuilt. I think I addressed this somewhere above.

20231212_203612.jpg
20231212_204005.jpg
20231212_203933.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back