Multiple Budget Build Star Trek Props

nosajpks

A quick video showing a bunch of various Star Trek props I made from materials and paints from the local Dollar Store. There's hyposprays, Padds, handheld medical scanners, klingon tricorders and communicators, and more.

Each prop literally cost only a buck or two to make... Thank God for DOLLAR STORES... It's amazing not only what you can find there - but what you can reimagine mundane things to be... or scavenge pieces here and there and make something new...

Last edited by a moderator:

I picked up a couple toys from the dollar store that had multiple flashing LED's - so of course - I ripped the guts out - and transplanted them into an old Star Trek Playmates Tricorder and Phaser I had... Total cost - $4... instead of the hundred plus for the "professional" light kit... perfect for the budget conscious cosplayer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. :) Your kind words are much appreciated. ;) It's always surprised me how much of the Chinese junk in the dollar stores can actually be useful.

The tng prop upgrades looks great. Mind sharing which toys and which dollar store you used for the electronics?

Thanks

I stay away from the chain dollar stores like Dollar general or Dollar Tree, etc. In my neck of the woods, Central new York - we have a small regional chain called "Real Deals" - instead of the junk we see mass produced specifically for the dollar stores - this small mom and pop outfit sells off the stuff they get from store closings, auctions, etc. So they usually get a lot of stuff in that isn't the typical cheap junk. For the tricorder upgrades - I had bought these laser gun rifkles that had a rotating barrel with several blinking led's - as well as firing tip led's.

Love the Klingon Tricorder!! Any pics of just it? Very cool, and steampunk

here's some pics of the different klingong props for ya pal. :) I did the design as a "transition" between the TOS series and the movie series. The Klingon communicator has superpowered magnet blocks on the back which allow me to just connect it to my Klingon uniform belt (with corresponding magnet behind the leather.

KlingonComm03.jpgKlingonComm05.jpg102_9146.jpgKlingonComm06.jpgKlingonTricorder01.jpgKlingon01.jpgKlingon02.jpgKlingonComm01.jpgKlingonComm02.jpgKlingonComm04.jpg

Love the Klingon Tricorder!! Any pics of just it? Very cool, and steampunk

And a few more pics... ;) The Klingon tricorder started out as a nestle Qwik container. It's powered by 3 AA batterries. I used a battery compartment from a Nicknack LED light at the dollar store... the back of the tricorder - where you see the square panel with some plantons - that's the battery cover...

Untitled-1.jpgTrekProps20.jpgKlingonTricorder04.jpgTrekProps18.jpgTrekProps16.jpgKlingonTricorder05.jpgKlingonTricorder03.jpgKlingonTricorder02.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back