Star Trek TOS Hypospray/Household item build

nosajpks

[h=5]Haven't had access to my full workroom available for a bit... and have gotten antsy - so have been doing the 20-minute build something out of "found items" routine... so using household junk and some spit and tape... made some Classic original Series Dr. McCoy Hypo Sprays (futuristic shots). Used acrylic tubes and pill bottle caps for the main body. To give it the "hypodermic needle" type action - the telescoping rod with the medicine vial is run through a series of washers inside the tube to make it pull back straight... and a rubber stopper affixed to the end creates the vacuum inside the tube which gives it the "shot plunger action." The T-Bar is just scrap wood. And since I had no tools where I am to cut intricate patterns in either wood or metal - the front "injector" assembly is actually some soda can pop tops affixed to a metal framework and run into a tube... Then the whole thing was covered in a $5 roll of Chrome auto fender Tape to give it the metallic look...[/h] JasonTOShypo.jpg

Honestly, for a quick fix project that is very nice. This is why I'll be a prop buyer and not a prop builder - I don't have the eye for improvising.
Nice work.

Nicely done. I've always had a soft spot for the scratch-builders. Anybody with a bank account can write a big check and BUY something good-looking, but to make a good-looking prop oneself, from found materials, takes creativity, imagination, and skill--things that few people have.

Thanks for the comments. I've been caring for a sick family member in their home for a few months - and haven't been to my own home... which means - normally I have a full set of tools and a workroom - so I can do sculpts, molds, castings, and every tool a geek can buy at Sears... ;) So, having gone a few months without having a chance to make things the way I normally do or stretch the creative muscles - I found that by spending quick breaks from life doing these kind of half hour mini-projects is quite the stress reliever... and the fact that everything needed is literally just laying around...

..as an aside... the tube I used for the main body of the hypo was actually a piece of spare acrylic tubing used in a home oxygen machine that we didn't need anymore... so this "future medical technology" has its roots in "modern medical technology." :p

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back