MR Qui-Gon Jinn Episode I: TPM Lightsaber

Expect the CE line to run from $150 - $200 each and for all character weapons to be released, including past editions.

OK, so an aluminum tube, that's a few bucks. A covertech knob, that's a few bucks. A nice Roman's blanking cap, that's 15 bucks. A bunch of tubing, washers, etc, and bondo to make a master of the main body, silicon, black resin for casting...I dunno...it's ALMOST worth 199 compared to doing it yourself (though I like DIY projects). I imagine that the price will drop radically, however. I mean, look at the ROTS LE's. They're going for about 240, MSRP is what, 369? High supply, lowish demand, I bet these will be the next Sting FX.

I still remember seeing Dooku LE's for 119 bucks, and I didn't get one...bring on the Dooku CE.

I agree, 200 for resin/plastic is beyond high. You have to add in the licensing cost as well. Too little bang for the buck in comparison to past pieces. I just don't see these selling for that much, maybe half that, there is more put into the FX pieces than that.

Agreed with Cayman and Trip, I have a feeling since these are unlimited, the market will ultimately set the price

Originally posted by tripoli@Feb 3 2006, 03:11 PM
I agree, 200 for resin/plastic is beyond high.  You have to add in the licensing cost as well.  Too little bang for the buck in comparison to past pieces.  I just don't see these selling for that much, maybe half that, there is more put into the FX pieces than that.
[snapback]1175222[/snapback]​
Agreed. If an FX saber can be sold for $119.00 and it includes a stand then these are way overpriced.

MR seems to missing their sweet spot on recent pricing, the Y-Wing should have came in at about $500-$600, not the $800 it came in at after all the months of MR stating that the Studio Scale models without the showcases would be reasonably priced, I guess reasonable is a matter of perspective. The CE sabers should be in the $100 range and I'm reading around the internet that the Studio Scale USS Enterprise will be about $1,400, thatÂ’s way outside my budget.

Jim

TWO HUNDRED? Well, that puts them into the "way too expensive" catagory. For one, if they're gonna be made out of plastic... I mean, come on... they could at least drop-forge the body in some cheap crap metal like Denix does. Also, from what I've heard, the 0.45 replicas are all metal and pretty good quality, but they only cost around 50 bucks. So how can something double the size, with (probably) cheaper materials cost FOUR times as much? Then there's the FXs (also pretty good quality)... and the shipping... and the much simpler display case.

At 100 bucks a pop they'd be good value and I wouldn't think twice about buying, but at double that..... please rethink that strategy if you're reading this MR. :(

Originally posted by gojira61+Feb 3 2006, 07:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gojira61 @ Feb 3 2006, 07:29 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-tripoli
@Feb 3 2006, 03:11 PM
I agree, 200 for resin/plastic is beyond high.  You have to add in the licensing cost as well.  Too little bang for the buck in comparison to past pieces.   I just don't see these selling for that much, maybe half that, there is more put into the FX pieces than that.
[snapback]1175222[/snapback]​
Agreed. If an FX saber can be sold for $119.00 and it includes a stand then these are way overpriced.

MR seems to missing their sweet spot on recent pricing, the Y-Wing should have came in at about $500-$600, not the $800 it came in at after all the months of MR stating that the Studio Scale models without the showcases would be reasonably priced, I guess reasonable is a matter of perspective. The CE sabers should be in the $100 range and I'm reading around the internet that the Studio Scale USS Enterprise will be about $1,400, thatÂ’s way outside my budget.

Jim
[snapback]1175240[/snapback]​
[/b]

The problem is that if they price them in the $50 range then it puts them in conflict with Hasbro as many "Non-RPF'rs" won't understand the difference and LFL is fanatical about protecting licensees. It would also cut into FX sales if they price @ $100. So the $150 + range is where they'll go for MSRP. As for the Y-Wing, A. it cost them more to make than the AT-AT and it is HUGE. The $800 price really isn't so off.

Originally posted by joatrash@Feb 3 2006, 07:30 PM
Also, from what I've heard, the 0.45 replicas are all metal and pretty good quality, but they only cost around 50 bucks.
[snapback]1175244[/snapback]​

Actually, the.45 sabers are damn good quality. Excellent likeness right down to the last detail. Hell, they're even $35 straight from MR; even cheaper on ebay. I wouldn't shell out more $100 for a CE, though between $75 and $100 seems more like a fair price.

-Fred

i have always wondered.

WTF with .45 why not make it easy on us math people trying to convert the numbers, and make it .50...................111111

As much as we all hate recasting here, i have to point out:
Pricing these this high will ultimately simply make more people buy a $25 or $30 recast in resin, seeing as these already ARE resin.

And having a lower cost resin CE which is still as studio accurate will simply let recasters get their hands on the "hero" to mold much cheaper.

Originally posted by gojira61@Feb 3 2006, 02:29 PM
[snapback]1175240[/snapback]​
The MR folks have to send their kids to college, you know.

It does seem a lot, i wonder what they will retail for in the uk, i have a few pieces, and i would rather fork out for more fx sabres than just a hilt.

Finally, after waiting and waiting...I might actually be able to afford a QuiGon saber. It's only a matter of time... Thanks bothan spy for the head's up.

I may pick up the LE, not sure yet. If the CE is 199, I rather pay the 150ish more and get the LE. At 99 dollars, or even 149, the CE I think would be more attractive, but someone who's going to pay 200 I think would pay 369 for a nicer one.

I know a friend is getting the LE, so I'll compare it to my Larbel SS when he gets it and see if I want to get one.

But then again, maybe if no one buys the CE, there will be less of it then the LE, and the CE would be worth more. ;)

I'm not a collectors society member anymore.... Do they still shw how fast these are selling on the new releases? Are they going fast? I am hoping to be able to place an order for one thursday for the LE

dan

Doesn't look right to me on the end of the handle...

QuiGonOrvsMR2b.jpg

:cheers,

Thomas

Originally posted by OPPI@Feb 7 2006, 09:52 PM
I'm not a collectors society member anymore....  Do they still shw how fast these are selling on the new releases?  Are they going fast?  I am hoping to be able to place an order for one thursday for the LE

dan
[snapback]1178658[/snapback]​

I'm not an expert in this area, but I would be surprised if that particular lightsaber sold out before Thursday.

i've got to agree that the $200 mark is too high given what it's made of.

for a single person making a few sabers, the parts add up to about that much. for a company having them manufactured by the low bidder in china, that's crazy talk.

if they did a line of $100 resin saber hilts, i'd probably harvest a bunch of them. at that price... no.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back