MR Obiwan Force FX

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by kalkamel, May 12, 2006.

1. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Just received MR's announcement of this product in my inbox:

[​IMG]

"With this shocking realization, bonds of friendship are shattered and master and apprentice face-off in a duel to decide the fate of the galaxy.
    Master Replicas brings you revered Jedi master Obi-Wan KenobiÂ’s Force FX lightsaber. Featuring the latest advances in our FX technology, you can wield this amazing Jedi weapon in your own battles against Magna guards, General Grievous, or Darth Vader himself.

Will they have the skills to defeat you? Or will you, like Obi-Wan himself, deal a crippling blow against the dark side of the Force?

Our jaw-dropping collectible features –

Power up/power down light and sound effects
    Idle, hum and clash sound effects taken from original sound files supplied by Skywalker Sound
    Quality metal construction
    Display stand featuring the Star Wars logo

Only $119.

Collectors Society On Sale:
    May 16 , 2006
    (9:00 am Pacific Time)

General Public On Sale Date:
    May 18 , 2006
    (9:00 am Pacific Time)

Expected to begin shipping:
    Summer 2006"

2. DLO Studios

DLO Studios Well-Known Member

So does this one have the same sounds as the others....or is it different? I wish they didn't all sound exactlly the same.

3. E Williams

E Williams Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Some have different sounds... I just got an Anakin ROTS, and it sounds very different from my Vader ESB (and both sound different from the Anakin AOTC i had a while back, if i remember correctly). I do remember reading that the Vader and Maul have the same sounds though... Maybe they keep the same sounds for sabers of like colors?

4. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

The Mace Windu one soudns different from all the others. I only own the Vader ESB one but I have tried the Windu and Anakin at TRU and they sound different to me.

5. poopsko24

poopsko24 New Member

nice, can't wait. I luke's rotj, so i guess it'll probley have the same feel to it.

6. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Is it me or did they manage to reduce the size of the nape (unlike to Luke ROTJ)?

7. DarthBish

DarthBish Well-Known Member

I think it's just you...

It looks overthick to me

8. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the neck is goofy just like the ROTJ Luke. I saw pics of it from some con. Toy-something or Comic-something. Oh hell, I can't remember.

9. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

They showed the pommel end in the pic to draw the eye away from the thick neck on the saber...
    Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

10. Darth_Pain

Darth_Pain Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sporak @ May 13 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]1243787[/snapback]</div>

I hate TripleFatGoose FX sabers. They look like Hasbro toys. :p

11. jlee562

jlee562 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth_Pain @ May 13 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]1243798[/snapback]</div>

I hate TripleFatGoose FX sabers. They look like Hasbro toys. :p
    [/b][/quote]

I actually think the Hasbro one is better proportioned.

12. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

OMG... that Obiwan saber hasn't been exercising.

13. Sporak

I agree...Now, if they wouln't have done that stupid Force vibrate flashy thing to it...
    it turned a cool toy that I was looking forward to playing with into one I NEVER use.
    In fact, I tore it apart and managed to get the vibrating motor out of it,
    but not the flash on impact "feature". :angry

<div class='quotetop'>(jlee562 @ May 13 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]1243816[/snapback]</div>

14. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

Yuck......
    For how off that is, they shouldn't have bothered making it.

15. nae1000

nae1000 New Member

anyone would think we didn't know they were making it....................in fact, anyone would think we'd never seen the luke rotj force fx......lighten up for christs sake.

16. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(~Sal~ @ May 14 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]1244024[/snapback]</div>

yeah why they didnt make the ep1 or 2 obi before this is so far beyond me i dont know how to put into words...

17. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I don't like it either, but they did what they could with in the limitations of the product. They have to have room for electronics, structural support for the blade, mass production, and come in at $120 with profit margin figured in. Perhaps they shouldn't have attemted it considering those limitations. Obviously they felt it would sell enough to make the investment worth it. The market will tell.

If you are looking for something accurate to the movie prop, then you shouldn't be looking at the FX line to begin with. That's what the Limited Editions are for.

18. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(RedTwoX @ May 14 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]1244194[/snapback]</div>

yes but i have an ep3 anakin, and while the REAL ep3 ani hilt was smaller than a graflex, the FX is almost the exact size of a graflex, which makes more sense...

have you held an ep5 vader???

its VERY close in EVERY way to the real prop. (as much as a plastic FX can be)

the ROTS obi and luke ROTJ, are VERY poor choices period.

you cant tell me that they couldnt make an ep2 obi VERY close proportionately to the prop... at least a LOT closer than they can an ep3 obi. there is really no room for debate IMHO that thing just looks horrid.

19. stiffminded

stiffminded New Member

The Half Maul isn't too bad.

20. Sporak

Sure those others are just about correctly porportioned...but the blade has to work within the neck, or it'd break off...
    I don't love the look either...but at least they made something.
    Some just want this to play with...

I don't have either of those two you mentioned (Luke , Obi) for just that reason, but there are some who love theirs regardless of that "one" flaw.

I'm sure they'll do the Ep 2 eventually.

<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ May 14 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]1244202[/snapback]</div>

21. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I'm no Obi-Wan expert by any means but just looking at that I can tell it is way off. I don't really like it either.

22. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sporak @ May 21 2006, 01:04 AM) [snapback]1247834[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly.

If you notice all of the other FX sabers, the blade has to have space to fit and be able to be used without breaking off.

If MR made the blade size smaller, people would complain that they are too small.

I remember this debate from the ROTJ Luke. If it was to be made at all, they had to keep th eneck thick so it would not break.

Now if one of you star trek freaks :p gets some "clear aluminum" (or whatever it was) and gives it to them, I would bet there would be a smaller neck.

23. lesternessman

lesternessman Well-Known Member

24. kell

kell Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(lesternessman @ May 21 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]1248068[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah kinda thick like one

Kell

25. Megatron

Megatron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I at first did not like the ROTJ luke but had never seen one up close other then pics on the web.
    Well last Friday at Star Wars Weekends I saw a ROTJ Luke up close and change my mind. Yes the neck is thick but in person its not that bad and the OBI of course is better looking imo.
    Fat neck means more to love.

26. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Megatron @ May 23 2006, 09:28 PM) [snapback]1249476[/snapback]</div>
    But, as my uncle always said: more than a handfull's a waste.

On the other hand, he also said: some like 'em built for comfort, some like 'em built for speed.

OK, so my uncle is a pig. But I bet the saber has a lovely personality.

:p

27. Luisiana Jones

Luisiana Jones Active Member

Awefull tbh looks made from hasbro as someone said, its a pity i expected a lot from this prop.

28. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Luisiana Jones @ May 24 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]1249827[/snapback]</div>

you did?

i didnt when i heard they were making it i instantly said "why?"

the luke and the obi ep3&4 are the worst choices of all the sabers from all the movies (sans yoda and sids because of how small they are) i bet they could pull off a dooku saber better than these.

why no obi ep1-2?

why no vader ROTJ?

even qui gon? even though his saber was one of the slimmest you wouldnt notice because the whole thing would be bigger...

i dont know why but it actually bothers me they even made this thing...

it REALLY bothers me that they didnt make an obi ep1-2 even more... that saber seems to be a perfect choice for an FX. as small as my ani ep3 is i know they could make it almost perfect. :unsure

i heard from a MR rep (that told me of the maul and obi about a year ago) that there are plans for an obi ep1 or 2 and that they are even working on slimming up the circuitry to fit in a smaller hilt... YODA AND SIDS. but havent heard a peep since, now that the maul and obi are out, im hoping the rest of the stuff he told me is true...

29. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ May 24 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]1249902[/snapback]</div>

Let's hope so. I haven't been interested in any of the FX since I got an Ep5 Vader and Ep3 Ani (I'm still undecided about the Maul), but I probably couldn't resist an Ep1 Obi.

30. frosty

frosty Sr Member

Well i quite like it, i have a couple of the fx sabres, they are a cool 'toy' version of the lightsabres, and something that my son can play with too, give MR a break, they are the only ones doing something this nice at an affordable price.

31. Sporak

Hey,I resemble that remark.........and it's "Transparent Aluminum"...
    Get your story straight will ya? ;)

<div class='quotetop'>(Cenobyte @ May 21 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]1247999[/snapback]</div>

32. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

or we could stay on topic and just say transparisteel?

:lol

LOL.

sorry i had to.

<div class='quotetop'>(Sporak @ May 24 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]1250012[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

33. Luisiana Jones

Luisiana Jones Active Member

Yeah I did I hoped a lot, because imo this is the coolest saber in the series along with ep4obi which is almost the same, and the maul, thats why. :D

But as I say it looks so close to the ep6 luke's, and im disapointed...