Mr Mold Makers' 2015 Mar-May Sculpture Contest Entry

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey guys and gals, throwing my hand back into this contest!! I had to drop out on the last two due to work, but I'm privileged enough to have some real free time for this one!

(EDIT: After many (4) failed attempts at Nosferatu, I've decided perhaps I'm not skilled enough yet to do the character justice how I'd like to.
I've decided a lifesize (slightly bigger actually) bust of Lon Chaney in LAM may have better results! Still using WED clay. )

The plan right now is to just sculpt a piece I want in my collection. I'm thinking maybe the Gillman or Lon Chaney's Phantom? Perhaps Nosferatu? I'm definitely wanting to go lifesize with it right now. I'll make a decision and update the post when I start sculpting!! Whatever I end up doing, it will be done in WED clay.

For the background on me, I've been sculpting for a while, but I wouldn't say I have any "skills" as a sculptor! :lol

Thanks again for the opportunity folks, and good luck to all entries!!

Last edited:
Re: Slipknot's 2015 Mar-May Sculpture Contest Entry

Thanks Michael, I appreciate it!

(EDIT: reference OP. This didn't go too well! :lol )

I've decided I'm going to go with the Nosferatu bust. It will be in WED clay, at 1:1 scale. Going for a look between Mike Hill's BEAUTIFUL sculpt, and Peter Murphy's fantastic piece, and of course Max Schrek himself! I'm not a portrait sculptor by any means, so this will be an interesting piece for me! I've been wanting a good Nosferatu piece in my collection for a long time, so I'm killing two birds!

Last edited:

Excited to see how this goes, I've been seeing some cool Nosferatu's lately, need more!

I'm still trying to figure out WED. I've had success using it, but only for extremely simple forms. I'm always worried about it drying out too much for anything that takes detail.

Boo, I was hoping for Gillman as I'd like to add one to my collection, lol. But Nosferatu will be awesome as well! Can't wait to see your progress.

Excited to see how this goes, I've been seeing some cool Nosferatu's lately, need more!

I'm still trying to figure out WED. I've had success using it, but only for extremely simple forms. I'm always worried about it drying out too much for anything that takes detail.

WED clay definitely has a bit of a learning curve going from Oil Based, and I'm still learning it myself! I'd be lying if I said it has never dried out on me. :lol

Are you going to join the contest? I'd love to see more work from you!

- - - Updated - - -

Boo, I was hoping for Gillman as I'd like to add one to my collection, lol. But Nosferatu will be awesome as well! Can't wait to see your progress.

Don't worry, the Gillman will happen soon! It's on the top of my list, followed by the Phantom, and then the Wolf from AWIL.

Thanks bud, can't wait to see your progress as well. It's probably my favorite part of these contests. Such talent on this board.

Thanks @SlipKnoT. :) I'm considering entering, but haven't come up with a reasonable idea yet! I have a couple of things I want to work on, but they aren't quite geared for this contest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alright guys and gals. Thought I'd post something from today's efforts. I was only able to clock three hours in on this guy today, but I'm relatively happy with where it is. It's still very rough, and I see many many many hours left on this guy! As I said, I'm not much of a sculptor, and this is my first real lifesize portrait attempt, so please be kind! :lol

There is no editing to the sculpture, but my kitchen doesn't make for the most professional work space so I blacked out the background. If this is breaking any rules, I apologize. I will get more professional WIP shots as I go! There is plenty of work ahead to document.

Last edited:

That was only 3 hours? Damn man, I'd call that pretty impressive. I'd still just be blobbing clay on there, trying to make it look like a head. :) Basic form is looking great!

Feel your pain on the kitchen pictures; I have to angle all my shots juuuuuust right. haha!

Thanks guys!

It did block out very quickly, but I'm damn glad I've got a month to work on it!! This is definitely gonna need a LOT of work! It will be worth it thought when I have a beautiful piece in my collection!

I wasn't planning on posting today, so you'll have to forgive it only being only camera phone quality.

Day two. About three more hours into him. Slowly refining and changing forms, so hopefully that Orlok vibe is really starting to come through! I am totally open to criticism and suggestions, mind you! Throw them at me here or PM me, I'd really appreciate it! I work from the left side (our right) to the right side... I know it's a terrible habit, but I'll catch the other side up tomorrow and hopefully transfer it to my photo station to get a few WIP pics! May need some help lifting him though!!! :lol

Last edited:

"Great, this guy again. Hasn't he posted enough already?!" -You. And I completely understand. :lol

I'm very sorry for the day by days if it is annoying anyone, but I hope at least someone is finding it interesting and useful!

So this is day three. Clocked 2.5 hours on this guy today. I realized how cartoon-y he was in the first pass of block out and hopefully corrected a lot of it. Still many many hours of small, and some very big, tweaks. Especially the neck and shoulders. He's looking like a bobble head right now!!

I tried to move it to take some pics, but that isn't happening!!! I guess if i was a smart man, I'd stop being lazy and clean the table.....but I am not a smart man... :lol

Last edited:

An empty table is the sign of an empty mind... You are doing fine. I like what you are doing. On screen he seems to be a little softer than you have him, but that could lighting, or a lack of progress, or a hundred other things. So I got nothin to tell you, but 'keep it up!' :)

An empty table is the sign of an empty mind... You are doing fine. I like what you are doing. On screen he seems to be a little softer than you have him, but that could lighting, or a lack of progress, or a hundred other things. So I got nothin to tell you, but 'keep it up!' :)

Thanks bud, I appreciate it! Could you explain a little what you mean by it feeling softer on screen? In the forms you mean? I really appreciate the input!

4-drinking.jpg

In all the images I see of him his face has a softness to it. Almost like the make-up artist gave him some age, and then pulled it back a bit, to increase the depth of the character. It is really interesting. :) But like I said, you are still in the beginning and it may be your intent to soften it a bit, already.

I think it's looking extremely well, and I for one don't mid daily updates, I myself sometimes feel I update too often but like I've said before I can help how my mind just keeps going. And as for a clean table, who cares? I for one have all kinds of stolid all over in my shots XD

View attachment 451243

In all the images I see of him his face has a softness to it. Almost like the make-up artist gave him some age, and then pulled it back a bit, to increase the depth of the character. It is really interesting. :) But like I said, you are still in the beginning and it may be your intent to soften it a bit, already.

Thanks for clarifying, I absolutely see what you mean! Right now everything is rather harsh as I'm still blocking and figuring everything out. When I get to refining and raking it down it should get a little bit softer, but I will definitely keep it in mind as I go! Thanks again!

I think it's looking extremely well, and I for one don't mid daily updates, I myself sometimes feel I update too often but like I've said before I can help how my mind just keeps going. And as for a clean table, who cares? I for one have all kinds of stolid all over in my shots XD

Thanks bud, I appreciate it! I've actually got a few projects on top of the messy table that I can't quite post yet as well, but tomorrow I'll make sure to clear some space. I want to get some good lighting over this guy to really show the forms I'm blocking out as well, because they don't come through exactly how I'd like.

Day 4! 2 hours is all I clocked today. The reason I only sculpt in such small bursts, if anyone is wondering, is because the longer I sit and stare at a piece the more I get tunnel vision and then one thing gets off, and then another, and then it's just a giant pile of mud. :lol

Today I changed some forms and smoothed out the face to get a rough gauge on what needs to be changed and fixed, and boy are there a lot of fixes to be done! Definitely feel like I'm getting closer to the goal each day, so I'm relatively happy with that. This is a piece I'd happily put in my collection.

Didn't put his eyebrows on before the pics, so I'm afraid you'll just have to imagine those until tomorrow! :lol

- - - Updated - - -

I totally see the asymmetry in the head and ears, and I'll fix that tomorrow by the way!

Last edited:

It's looking very solid. I know what you mean I also wit a couple hours at a time and I work on multiple sculpts at once to keep everything fresh in my mind

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back