Sideshow Skeletor

thorssoli

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
When I was a kid I like He-Man as much as anybody, but wasn't really a huge fan. In more recent years, I've chuckled at all of the Skeletor memes, but didn't give it much more thought. Then Sideshow went and released this statue:
52905055059_1e94dd739a_c.jpg

Wow.

It's what you'd expect Skeletor to look like if Peter Jackson and Weta Workshop decided to make Masters of the Universe instead of Lord of the Rings. I love the look and I haven't been able to talk myself out of building it lifesize.

So I went ahead and purchased the statue and started noodling over how I would go about building a wearable version of it. Knowing that I may not actually get around to completing the full build, I decided to start with something that would still look cool as a standalone piece; the Havoc staff. I started by scanning the top of the staff using my Revopoint mini 3D scanner. I'm still early in the learning stages of making this device work, but my early attempts show a lot of promise. Here's the scan of the staff head:
52899006374_4fe577883d_c.jpg

After filtering out the noise and smoothing the model a bit, then scaling the digital model up to lifesize, it looked like so:
52898841046_3dc7d673af_c.jpg

Here's the first two pieces printed lifesize:
52890659975_448a3b97ef_c.jpg

I don't have any pics of the raw prints. I got a little excited and started sanding and smoothing as soon as they were off the printers.

Here's the horns in place with a glowing ball placeholder:
52889701217_5bd0990cc4_c.jpg

The whole thing seems to be just about right, size-wise:
52890661615_ac2a54f22c_c.jpg

Of course, a lot of the finer details didn't really translate through the scan-smooth-enlarge-print process. Mostly I lost this scrollwork on the backside:
52904167874_28f8e70fe2_c.jpg

I basically have no 3D modelling skill, so I've been going through the process of adding these details by hand:
52904391165_afacc3bff9_c.jpg

The raised portions are built up with "Magic Sculpt" a 2-part epoxy putty I pick up at my local TAP Plastics:
52904365430_217cb79e24_c.jpg

Once the putty cures, it's rock hard and can be sanded and carved to fine tune the shape. The epoxy putty will be strong enough to work as the final part in case I make it a one-off.

In addition to tuning up the printed staff head parts, I'm also nearly done with the digital cleanup for the bottom of the staff. Then it's a matter of turning the middle handle section on a lathe and I can start final assembly and paint, or prepping the set of parts for molding.

I'm still in the early stages of the rest of the costume. Most of the planning is done and I've started lining up materials. Since I'm not quite as muscular as the statue itself, I went ahead and purchased this very hot, heavy muscle suit:
52905172576_22682c54d4_c.jpg

I'll be working out a way to make it a little more bearable as I continue to make progress on the rest of the build.

Stay tuned...

Progress continues on the base section of the Havoc staff top. I've also printed the bottom tip:
52908790667_d73627f018_c.jpg

Just as I'm doing with the top, I'm sculpting over the scrollwork details with epoxy putty to make them pop a bit more:
52908790212_39e8614ba7_c.jpg

In the meantime, I've scanned the sword on his back as well:
1684518372837.png

I'm planning on printing the sword and scabbard separately, so I'll need to figure out what the blade looks like.

Stay tuned...

Great work so far, the staff looks fantastic!
Sorry for not commenting before, I'm sure others are interested as I am. I tend to hit the 'like' button and not comment on things here, but I appreciate the desire to get some feedback - I've also have had those feelings on my own posts, but please keep posting!
I float around the different sections and it can be kind of tough getting eyes on your threads. Keep posting, hopefully more people will see this and get involved.
Looking forward to seeing that muscle suit purple! Are you planning on painting it, or just wearing a body suit over it?

Love this!
Where did you find the body suit? That doesn't look nearly as horrible as some that I have dealt with.

Sorry for not commenting before, I'm sure others are interested as I am. I tend to hit the 'like' button and not comment on things here, but I appreciate the desire to get some feedback - I've also have had those feelings on my own posts, but please keep posting!
I float around the different sections and it can be kind of tough getting eyes on your threads. Keep posting, hopefully more people will see this and get involved.
Looking forward to seeing that muscle suit purple! Are you planning on painting it, or just wearing a body suit over it?
Also guilty of this. Please continue to post about this! Looks absolutely incredible so far.

Thank you for the feedback, all.
I ended up painting it with Psycho Paint and SilcPig pigments from Smooth-On. The first coat of blue still showed a lot of the fleshtone from underneath and looked pretty teal in person:
53050089579_9b5f4cbede_c.jpg

After a few more coats of blue and some shading in black, then a liberal dose of talcum powder to dull the shine, I was pretty happy with it:
53074472796_015c430e9c_c.jpg

The final thing still looked ridiculous when worn:
53101167304_9f587c1268_c.jpg

But it got a lot better when the armor was on:
53100976191_b204a72ebb_c.jpg

Love this!
Where did you find the body suit? That doesn't look nearly as horrible as some that I have dealt with.

Picked that up on Amazon. The bottom half is here: LINK and the top half is here: LINK

It's worth mentioning that I've mostly finished this build and debuted the costume at SDCC last month. Here's the current look:
Thorssoli Skeletor.jpg

I wrote a blog article with the build details here: Sideshow Skeletor Costume Build

I still have a few upgrades in mind. The current priority is to make a smaller, better version of the head. There's' a few other things I need to do as well, but that's first.

Stay tuned...

Just WOW!! Awesome job on this project!! I think the current head looks good, but I'm waiting to see what you do with the next version!

This came out incredible! Were you ever able to figure out which solvent was the winner?
Not really. The first paint test I just did a quick wipe down with acetone before painting and that wasn't adequate.

When I did the second test I started by wiping it down with Isopropyl alcohol, acetone, naptha, and Novocs and it worked. They may not have all been necessary, but since I knew that combo worked, I repeated all of that on the whole suit just to be sure.

Holy cow, that came out awesome! Looking forward to the smaller skull as that will really tighten up the overall look. As Skeletor, did you refer to people as "you boob!" alot? I always loved that as a kid!!!

Looks amazing! I enjoyed the extra info in your blog. The 3D printed pieces turned out great, your friend Jeff did a super job cleaning up those scans!
Looking forward to any upgrades you do - I agree the skull mask looks a bit large, especially compared to the Sideshow figure. Seems the figure's head might be even smaller than an average-sized head (possible to contrast and accentuate the muscled physique), so it could be hard to get it looking close to that. I suppose that's always going to be a problem when trying to make a skull mask - it's hard to keep the scale of something that looks like a head with no skin and tissue. You sculpt still looks great, though - looks like there's some room to scale it down without having to change it too much.

Looks amazing! I enjoyed the extra info in your blog. The 3D printed pieces turned out great, your friend Jeff did a super job cleaning up those scans!
Looking forward to any upgrades you do - I agree the skull mask looks a bit large, especially compared to the Sideshow figure. Seems the figure's head might be even smaller than an average-sized head (possible to contrast and accentuate the muscled physique), so it could be hard to get it looking close to that. I suppose that's always going to be a problem when trying to make a skull mask - it's hard to keep the scale of something that looks like a head with no skin and tissue. You sculpt still looks great, though - looks like there's some room to scale it down without having to change it too much.

I think there's room for improvement. My plan is to have the skull sit on the front of my face instead of wearing it like a helmet. That should make it easier to scale it down and the hood will hide my actual head so nobody needs to know.

Holy cow, that came out awesome! Looking forward to the smaller skull as that will really tighten up the overall look. As Skeletor, did you refer to people as "you boob!" alot? I always loved that as a kid!!!

I had a lot of fun with this character. The rest of the group figured I'd be the first one to tap out on account of the hot, heavy rubber suit, but I was to into it to notice for the most part.

"Skeletor, is it okay I get a picture with you?"

"It's not 'OKAY,' it's essential, you boob! You don't want to come all the way here and not get a picture with me! But first, is my chest cross straight? Are my nipples showing?"

"Yes"

"How many?"

"Two."

"Oh well. Two out of three ain't bad..."

Thank you for the feedback, all.

I ended up painting it with Psycho Paint and SilcPig pigments from Smooth-On. The first coat of blue still showed a lot of the fleshtone from underneath and looked pretty teal in person:
View attachment 1727081

After a few more coats of blue and some shading in black, then a liberal dose of talcum powder to dull the shine, I was pretty happy with it:
View attachment 1727082

The final thing still looked ridiculous when worn:
View attachment 1727083

But it got a lot better when the armor was on:
View attachment 1727084

Picked that up on Amazon. The bottom half is here: LINK and the top half is here: LINK

It's worth mentioning that I've mostly finished this build and debuted the costume at SDCC last month. Here's the current look:
View attachment 1727078

I wrote a blog article with the build details here: Sideshow Skeletor Costume Build

I still have a few upgrades in mind. The current priority is to make a smaller, better version of the head. There's' a few other things I need to do as well, but that's first.

Stay tuned...
blue arrested development GIF

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back