Movies you hate that everyone else likes

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Michael Bergeron, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I guess. I just didn't buy it and there are some characters and stories you just don't connect with. This one didn't do it for me.

2. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I've got to agree on the newer of True Grit, I didn't care for it at all. I realize both had a lot of the same lines which came from the book, but it seemed like the actors intentionally went out of their way to NOT use the same inflections used in the original, just to make it sound different. It didn't sound natural at all to me.

3. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love both versions, honestly I think the second attempt is better film making. However as much as I like the Dude, I prefer the Duke as Rooster. Nothing as cool as him swinging that lever action as he's riding.

gedmac66 likes this.
  4. Bigdaddy

Edit: double post

5. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Yep. Every single Wes Anderson film.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  6. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

^ I love Wes Anderson films. That was pretty funny.

Zombie_61 and Bones_68 like this.
  7. Bones_68

Bones_68 Sr Member

Yeah, Anderson is a straight up old fashioned romantic. He's got a droll artist/poet sensibility going on. I understand why it puts some people off but I appreciate the thought and effort he pours into his movies. I find amazing things in all of them, even the ones I don't particularly like.

His one movie I love without reservation is Rushmore — poignant and harsh but still very funny. It's also one of the last movies I remember seeing in a theater that made me sit up and take notice that I was watching a style of moviemaking I'd never seen before. Those moments are pretty rare.

Zombie_61 and Axlotl like this.
  8. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

9. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

If you put David Lynch on estrogen he would start to make Wes Anderson movies.

animator and sztriki like this.
  10. DeLucks Designs

DeLucks Designs Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The God Father. i just can't get through it. It just seems so over the top, and it insists upon itself.....

Gimpdiggity and Laspector like this.
  11. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

I can understand this because I struggled for decades with The Godfather. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't see why so many people held it in such high regard. I'd re-watch it now and then, but my opinion didn't change. Then, in 2008, a friend invited me to a special screening at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood (California) that was intended to publicize the release of the newly restored movie on DVD and Blu-Ray. I don't know why--first time seeing it on the big screen, a theater that offered no distractions, the energy from an audience of die-hard fans, or whatever--but at that screening it suddenly became one of my favorite movies.

12. Shadow345

Shadow345 Well-Known Member

The Avengers
    The Dark Knight
    Inception
    The Godfather I + II​
    Monty Python and The Holy Grail
    Fight Club
    The Shawshank Redemption​
    The Wizard of Oz
    Pulp Fiction
    Die Hard

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  13. doppelganger

doppelganger Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

BLADE RUNNER!

I watched it as a pre teen. Watched it in my late teens. Revisited it when the new film came out. OMG its so boring. I actually prefered the new one.

Ok....... now you can all throw rocks at me. My deep dark sci fi secret is out. I DONT LIKE BLADE RUNNER!!!

kristen jones likes this.
  14. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol

I don’t think many people saw what you did there...but I did. I know what’s going on here.

DeLucks Designs likes this.
  15. DeLucks Designs

DeLucks Designs Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:thumbsup

16. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

The Martian.

Completely overrated.

It's a great premise but, was disappointingly conventional and completely forgettable. What a wasted opportunity. I couldn't believe people were predicting this would become a "classic".

This film should have been rooted in isolation and hopelessness if he's stranded out in Mars - but, just cutting back and forth from the drama on Earth, loses all of that. You knew from the start it he was going to get rescued somehow. It takes all the tension out of his survival story. From Ridley Scott who created Alien, one of the best depictions of isolation in sci-fi, I expected more. As a result this movie was just a structural remake of Ron Howard's Apollo 13 (conventional drama) when it should have had more in common with Moon (2009) (genuine classic hard sci-fi) and Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)(also classic).

Birdie and Axlotl like this.
  17. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Anchorman movies. I found NOTHING funny about it, just annoying (I only tried first one). Barely made it through only because I was watching with other people

Birdie, Greenie and Bigdaddy like this.
  18. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Have you ever met a guy who believes so strongly that he's funny he thinks nothing about making a complete * of himself all the time? And his conviction drives his insipid behavior which can sometimes make you laugh, mostly in disbelief in what you are witnessing?

Will Farrell is sometimes genuinely funny and sometimes just cloying but mostly falls within that realm for me.

BornKilr likes this.
  19. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Anything Adam Sandler, or the Zoolander guy...
    Star Trek
    Any musical...
    Slasher horror.
    Remakes in general.

20. Murdoch

Murdoch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Absolutely can't stand Home Alone...

Birdie and Seth Skywalker like this.
  21. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

Buckaroo Banzi. I can't say I hate it.. exactly.. but man... it was really boring. Really.

Also The Life Aquatic. Now that's a movie I can't stand. So much talent, so much BORING. Really shocked me that a movie with so many of my favorite actors could just be so down right uninteresting and dull.

Bigdaddy and dascoyne like this.
  22. Seth Skywalker

Seth Skywalker Well-Known Member

Right with you there. That movie is absolutely stupid.:facepalm

23. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

I might have told this story somewhere here before, but when Home Alone premiered I went to see it with three friends, one of whom has been my best friend for 45 years. He and I sat stone-faced through the entire movie not even so much as chuckling once, while everyone else in the theater was laughing their backsides off, including the other two friends who were a younger couple that my best friend worked with at the time. While discussing it afterward, we realized the movie had no impact on us because we'd already seen every one of those slapstick gags performed far better by people like Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, and Harold Lloyd. So, yeah, not a fan.

Bigdaddy and dascoyne like this.
  24. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I really, really wanted to like this movie. But it just felt like a mainstream production trying way too hard to be a cult film.

Painful movie that proves that Wes Anderson is so self indulgent it is impossible to parody his movies because they would be, literally, indistinguishable from each other.

Egon Spengler likes this.
  25. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Meet the Parents - dreadful movie!

26. Wickerness

Wickerness Well-Known Member

Titanic
    BvS
    Independence Day
    Any Pauly Shore movie
    Most Wil Ferrel movies (I did like The Lego Movie)
    Elf

I like A Christmas Story but not enough to watch more than once in a great while (sorry TBS & TNT showing it all day). I can watch It’s a Wonderful Life more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

I haven't attempted to watch these again in many years, but:

Gone With the Wind and Casablanca.

I felt they were just simply boring. I may eventually give them another shot, now that I am older.

One I'm a little ashamed to admit that I don't like is:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I love A Fistful of Dollars (and even the Bruce Willis remake, Last Man Standing) and For a Few Dollars More, but when it came to the third movie in the Man With No Name, I didn't care for it. I'd rather watch High Plains Drifter or The Outlaw Josie Wales.

28. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I love Casablanca, but Gone With The Wind...
    I don't know why anyone gives a * about that movie. Rhett and Scarlett are both despicable human beings.
    In my brain-canon they die in each other's arms shortly after they meet when a burning house collapses on them.
    Only takes 4 seconds to imagine and it saves me 4 hours of wretched tedium.

Darth Lars, Bigdaddy and Greenie like this.
  29. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I see what you did there...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

edge10 and Axlotl like this.
  30. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

He could also have said Casablanca wasn’t worth a hill of beans.

Axlotl and Solo4114 like this.
  31. samson1017

samson1017 New Member

Don't kill me if I think Blade Runner is overrated.

Cephus likes this.
  32. J EM

J EM Well-Known Member

While I'm sure it's a fantastic movie I think I'm incapable of understanding, I found it to be so boring that I actually started falling asleep about 50 minutes in. I gave it that much time, and to this day I still haven't seen the rest. The soundtrack was great.

33. Bigdaddy

It is a fantastic movie, almost as awesome as your avatar! That freaking ROCKS! :cool:thumbsup

34. C17ldmstr

C17ldmstr Active Member

I felt exactly the same way for the last 30+years! Until this year when I forced myself to watch the original theatrical release WITH voiceover. Basically Deckard narrates it like it’s a 1930s detective drama.

Loved it!! First time I didn’t fall asleep! (Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott hated this version BTW).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35. CPTRogers

CPTRogers Well-Known Member

2017 Power Rangers

36. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I'm a big fan of Blade Runner but will be the first to say you're not missing out on some profound message that hasn't been done better in other films. The story itself is thin. There's little action and Decker basically just follows some obvious leads and has an ethical dilemma. He doesn't even complete a character arc by making a moral choice unless you count him running away at the end.

But it's still one of my favorite movies.

Blade Runner is all about the visuals and design and how those drive some themes. If you want to make an honest attempt at appreciating it you really need to see it in a theater with all your attention on the film in order to appreciate the atmosphere in the music and sound design. It's pointless to watch it passively at home with ambient light, with your wife trying to have a conversation in the background while you're browsing on your laptop. It's a gorgeous film that's more experience than story which makes you feel like you've been in a real place of beautiful pathos.

But there's nothing that profound about it, IMO. The intricate atmosphere isn't something everyone appreciates. I remember a lot of people didn't like it in 1982. A lot of critics panned it. So it's not for everyone.

Don’t be silly. Nobody would kill you.

It is called retirement.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    MattBlack and J EM like this.
  37. J EM

J EM Well-Known Member

yep. Albuquerque's Public Enemy #1 lol

I'm not someone who falls asleep when watching movies I find boring, it's just a pity that Blade Runner is one of the very few movies to have actually made me feel that way. Anyway, I ought to give that a shot sometime, but I do want to give it a try once more. I'm not lying when I said I haven't seen the rest haha!

You might have spoiled some of it for me lol. It's ok. Thanks for the explanation though. I did find the visuals to be very impressive, and again, the score. I can appreciate that about it. It was was enjoyable right from the beginning. I just found the story a bit lacking and it's why I couldn't sit through it.

38. modelcitizen

modelcitizen Sr Member

i had the same reaction to Jurassic Park. no real story there either

39. ddspike22

ddspike22 Active Member

Indiana Jones and the last crusade, beyond the obvious chemistry between Ford and Connery this rehash of Raiders has the most boring locations. And the need to make up for Temple of doom's darkness made the film overly goofy. Losing all the edge that Raiders and Doom had.

40. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not fussed about the Shawshank Redemption. Much prefer McVicar or Scum - "Who's the Daddy now!"

41. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

Pocahontas in Space or what is called by everyone else.........Avatar

42. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

The Last Jedi (might not count, cause no one liked it)
    The Force Awakens
    Hunger Games
    Anything with Nicolas Cage (except Raising Arizona)
    Truman Show (I fall asleep every time)
    All the live action Transformers
    & I've never seen Gone With The Wind or any of The Godfather movies

edge10 likes this.
  43. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

TLJ counts, I for one loved it.

Riceball likes this.
  44. CAPNMURICAH

CAPNMURICAH Jr Member

Deadpool 1 and 2
    black panther
    adrift
    rouge one(less hate more indifference)

45. el toro

el toro Well-Known Member

Donnie darko

sztriki likes this.
  46. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

That film made its impact mainly on the CG effects of the time. It was a landmark film where the key scene is when the lawyer, sitting on the toilet, gets eaten by the T-Rex. Until then CG didn’t interact with reality so directly. So, for the rest of the film, the audience felt genuine peril when people were being chased.

So the JP is not going to have the same impact today as it did when it was new. It’s like the movie, Psycho, which flipped the plot on its ear after a horrific shower murder scene. Today Psycho doesn’t even faze anybody and there’s little reason outside of historical interest to watch it. That’s what Jurassic Park is today.

47. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jurassic Park never mattered to me. I was in highschool when it came out and the story was too bland. As great as the effects we're, it did nothing for me

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Darth Lars likes this.
  48. modelcitizen

modelcitizen Sr Member

aye, and psycho i still watch when it comes on tv several times if not at least once a year. it has shall we say a story, excellent design, great cinematography by television veterans and foremost, an excellent acting performance by Tony (Balsam, and the Sheriff did pretty darn good too). i'm guessing (guessing mind you) that psycho outside of fan communities such as this gets seen more and it's far far older...a true classic. jurassic park could never touch it.

whether jurassic park is a true "classic" is very, very debatable lol
    but i don't do debates. i find it a poor substitute for actual discussion.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Zombie_61 likes this.
  49. The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull Active Member

• Jurassic Park
    • Hunger Games (it was a poorly done ripoff and it's boring)
    • Twilight (Watching these movies in German made them boring, because they're like the books. Watching them in English is funny, because you realise how bad the acting is. Like a "The Room" - Series)
    • Black Panther (totally overrated IMHO. I like the Panther in an ensemble but there wasn't much for me to be interested in his solo flick)
    • Tim Burtons Batman (Love the visuals, hated everything else. This had nothing to do with the Dark Knight)
    • All traditional Disney movies!

50. Sainpa

Sainpa New Member

i know im gonna get some backlash for this, but "the god-father"
    I dont know why people love it, cant stand it.

Laspector and Egon Spengler like this.