Movies you hate that everyone else likes

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Michael Bergeron, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DeLano80

DeLano80 Well-Known Member

Anything with Will Ferrell. There is just something about that guy that makes me hate him...

edge10, Gimpdiggity and Boba Flint like this.
  2. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

You're not far from wrong. 20th Century Fox was having financial problems, so the budget for each sequel got smaller and it shows in the finished movies.

Also, Charlton Heston did not want to come back for the first sequel. He finally agreed under two conditions--his scenes had to be filmed within a two week period, and Taylor had to die. Heston claims he suggested the ending to Beneath, thinking if Taylor destroyed the planet it would be the end of the sequels. He clearly underestimated 20th Century Fox's desire to make money from the franchise, so when The Suits at Fox demanded another sequel the writers came up with the time travel idea.

At the very least you should make an attempt to see Escape and Conquest if you're interested at all. I personally think Conquest is the best of the sequels, but since each sequel is a continuation of the story you should see Escape first or it will be difficult to understand the continuity. Battle isn't the worst movie ever made, but it's certainly the worst of the franchise. Watch it if you're curious, but don't expect much.

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  3. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

I finally got around to watching Sinister since it's on Netflix. Again, I don't want to say I hate it but I don't understand all the love and the hype around it. I have had people tell me it's the best Hollywood horror film in years but I found the scares rather cheap, the story close to non-existent, the characters a little iffy, particularly the wife and her "marriage" to Ellison, among a plethora of other grievances. I hate to say this because I know the people responsible for the look, but Mr. Boogie just makes me think of Michael Jackson. Thinking of the "sinister" boogie grabbing his crotch and exclaiming "shamone!" really lowers his creepiness level to me.

Also, I've never understood the fear of ghost children to be honest, something quite a few horror movies use... ghost or not, I'd kick the little buggers in their head..

Gimpdiggity likes this.
  4. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks! I did want to see them all but then they left Netflix.

But I have to say, part was probably the biggest bummer ending ever. Bleak

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Seconded. I don't mind him in Elf, but that's the limit of my tolerance of him.

6. astroboy

Speaking of ferrell, has anyone seen the campaign? It's one of the funniest film I've seen. Side splitting.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

7. DeLano80

DeLano80 Well-Known Member

To me, Will Ferrell is like Tom Cruise...When I see Will Ferrell in a movie,all I see is Will Ferrell and not his character. Same with Tom Cruise. I think a lot of good movies get ruined by big time actors. Valkyrie for example was/is a great story, but I could not see Staufenberg. All I saw was Tom Cruise in a costume. Will Ferrell has the same effect on me. He is funny, but the character he is trying to play is hard to see in my opinion.
    On a side note... Is anyone else happy Adam Sandler hasn't been "acting" lately? I think if I saw him in public, I would have a hard time keeping myself from punching him. Just saying.

edge10 likes this.
  8. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

Sandler i will just call bad names since he is one small step better than Ben Stiller. Stiller i would knock out and wait till he regains consiousness and punch him again.

DeLano80 and Stormie like this.
  9. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

ow,am the only one not liking The Hunger Games series?

10. astroboy

They weren't that exciting to me either. I actually gave up during the final one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

11. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I watched the first two just because they were on HBO. Couldn't make it through the third one.

No, you're not the only one.

12. JiminSTLouis

JiminSTLouis Sr Member

Ferrell (Stranger Than Fiction) and Sandler (Reign Over Me and Spanglish) are such good dramatic actors. I wish they would do more of that.

As far as movies I hate that my friends love... John Carter.

13. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Arrival.
    There. I said it.
    It's not a terrible movie but it's not nearly as good as people say it is.
    The positives: Amy Adams has a good performance and an interesting character arc. Some of the initial treatment of linguistics is interesting. Alien design is pretty cool. I do like the mood set by the drab color palette. Surprising plot twist. That is all.
    The negatives: everything else. Every single character besides Amy Adams is one dimensional. It's a naïve treatment of government and military to show their behavior consistent with the archetype even when it violates common sense. It's a waste of Forest Whitaker to have him play such a flat role. There isn't much of a story either - it's basically a novel character study dressed up as a science fiction movie.

It's a film that really rests on a big twist which unmasks the movie as a character study. It's an intriguing and poignant revelation, to be sure, but that's all it has going for it.

14. Dreddful

Dreddful Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nope. I thought the movies were laughable. Don't get the Jennifer Lawrence thing.

15. astroboy

I saw her in winters bones. It was her first flick and it was amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

16. J EM

J EM Well-Known Member

This is a problem I have with a lot of big time actors these days. For me, most recent one is Jen Lawrence. I get tired of hearing and reading about them, especially seeing them in multiple movies in such few years. Because of that, I couldn't make it past 10 minutes of the last Hunger Games movie, which some of you are talking about. The 10 minutes of dialogue I did make it through were so * boring.

17. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

Nope, Hunger Games is crap.

18. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

That movie was terrible and disgusting.

19. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The road: it was a terrible book that got all sorts of good reviews and it's a terrible movie that got moderate reviews. Only good thing out of it was it brought a good but of money to PA for filming. Will Ferrell movies are like Sandler's: crass and disgusting at best. It goes to show the lack of talent former SNL cast members have.

20. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Unbreakable. It seems like material for a good Twilight Zone episode but I expect more from a whole movie.

21. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

For me it's ET

22. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Someone show him the door.

:)

HEMADEW likes this.
  23. AGxM

AGxM Well-Known Member

Shawshank Redemption.....don't hate it, but don't get the hype personally

astroboy likes this.
  24. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Didn't hate it, just didn't really care either.

25. ALLEY

ALLEY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home...

The humor is "OK" but the late 80's production values of the movie have "aged" it the worst of the TOS movies, complete with the most bottom of the barrel of all the soundtracks (it sounds like a bad 80's "cop movie" soundtrack with mediocre lounge jazz mixed in with the left-over bits, put together by the music editor, of some random children's movie).

Guest star Catherine Hicks' acting is beyond terrible.

For fun, count the number of perms and mullets in the background scenes on a lazy Sunday...

Even Star Trek V (the "embarrassing uncle" of all Trek flicks) gets pulled out of its slip case more than this "Trek Lite" schlock.

"Well, uh....a double dumb * on you!"

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    astroboy and Zombie_61 like this.
  26. Snikt

Snikt Sr Member

Thats probably one of the best comic book movies ever made. Such a good movie.

In the horror genre, I watched "It Follows" and "The Witch" the other day. My god. Can just any shlub give reviews anywhere on line now? Cause both of them had high rotten tomato reviews, one was hailed at sundance as being super good, and even Buzzfeed listed them both as top horror movies of the last decade. They were both AWFUL. The Witch was a chore to sit through, Im surprised I didnt turn it off, and It follows didnt even follow its own in universe rules, and was asinine. I hated that I paid money for one. If the witch comes out on netflix soon Im going to be *.

27. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Of the two I saw It Follows and I would agree that it's overrated. Conceptually it's an interesting premise which leads to some novel opportunities for suspense but that's about it. The most annoying aspect is that the characters, as with many horror films, don't have common sense to figure out simple things to protect themselves or they conveniently leave themselves vulnerable when any normal person would know better. Folks I trust say "The Witch" is bad so I didn't watch it.

28. Snikt

Snikt Sr Member

Yes, the characters were indeed annoying, but Im not a fan of establishing the in universe rules of something, then completely ignoring them later on. Also, keep trusting those folks cause The Witch was boring, annoying, and the only scare came from a * jump scare, because I had my rad new surround sound turned way up, I think I jumped cause of the sheer volume. Dont watch that trash man. Dont.

29. ChrisMD

ChrisMD New Member

Everything Christopher Nolan has ever done. Heavy emphasis on the Batman movies and Inception. Interstellar was ok until Nolan's trademarked over the top ending. I find his movies to be overhyped, hipster garbage.

Sorry to resurrect a dead one folks. Didn't see the date until after my rant. :)

30. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Now You See Me

- I hate this movie because I actually like magic and wanted to like this movie. But the only real magic trick was a snap change done by Jesse Eisenberg. Apparently it's the only card trick the actor knows because he does it twice in the movie.
    - I hate this movie because it's so full of itself that it has to rely on swooping tracking shots and edits to inflate its scale. Someone ought to tell the director/writer/producers that magic on film or video is diminished with every shot that isn't static and with every single cut - and this movie is full of both. A single Penn and Teller act is vastly more rewarding than this entire movie.
    - I hate the crowd/audiences that act like a hordes of faceless stooges. Magic audiences don't scream, shout and jump about. Magic acts, by their very nature, don't bring out fanatic hysteria in real people no matter how popular the act is. This isn't a rock concert. And the only time you'll ever get an audience IRL to chant anything in such perfect unison will be the opening cue for "The Wheel of Fortune." The crowds in this movie reminded me exactly of the crowd of worshipers in "The Life of Brian" that wouldn't leave Brian alone.
    - I hate that the predictable twist of the film is yet another iteration of "The Sting" - but underscored, highlighted and boldfaced.
    - I hate Jesse Eisenberg's character because he's just doing his smarmy "smart-guy" shtick by talking rapidly and acting smug. Real smart people don't talk like that.
    - I hate that none of the characters are likeable. The title should be, "Hipsters Can Do Literally Anything" (and They Know It).
    - I hate it because my brother-in-law promised it was a great movie and made me watch it. This movie is so incredibly bad it made me hate my brother-in-law.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  31. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Make your brother-in-law watch Lord of Illusions (which is actually pretty great, in my opinion).

Larry T likes this.
  32. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I'll make a note of that, Dan. Thanks.

33. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Had the exact same experience with my niece and her boyfriend, had to sit there and watch it with them, and pretend I thought it was great. Very dumb movie.

dascoyne likes this.
  34. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I had a roommate who just had to show me "The Waterboy". After a while I got up to use the bathroom and never quite made it back to the living room.

35. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

While I agree with everything you posted, for me the movie's biggest flaw was their reliance on CG effects to show the completely impossible "magic tricks" rather than being more clever and figuring out a way to tell the story using practical/actual magic show tricks. That could have been impressive; instead it's just another CG crapfest.

dascoyne likes this.
  36. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

"Now You See Me" was so bad it actually angers me.
    I'm getting angry now, just thinking about it.
    Did you know they made a sequel?
    Gah, now I'm furious...

37. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

That movie should come with a gun and a single bullet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

circa1964 and Axlotl like this.
  38. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

My spoiler review of Now You See Me:

[​IMG]

Axlotl, Bigdaddy and Zombie_61 like this.
  39. Keycube

Keycube Well-Known Member

I don't know about everyone else necessarily "liking" it, but with all of the great press and critical acclaim, I guess it qualifies...

Dunkirk. Maybe I'm so accustomed to a war movie looking and feeling a certain way, that I just couldn't get the "vibe" (and, mind you, I don't actually like war movies). I felt like it was maybe supposed to feel documentary-ish? And it didn't feel like the intertwining of the stories were anything of note (though, it didn't help that I didn't care about the characters themselves).

I almost turned it off after 15 minutes or so (and every 15 minutes thereafter). I sat through it only because a friend loaned it to me with the highest of recommendations. Admittedly, I found the movie so jarring in a "What the hell did I just watch?" sort of way, that I'm not sure if I truly hated it, or actually loved it but just didn't get it (but will on my next viewing(?))

A frustrating film for me.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Borjis likes this.
  40. HanSolo2187

HanSolo2187 Active Member

I'm with you - maybe not to the "hate" level, but close. My issues (with a spoiler):
    - Who was the main character? What were any of their names? Why should I care if any of them live or die?
    - I hated the high-pitched tone that sustained throughout the entire movie. Typically used to add to the tension of a scene - Dunkirk used it for the whole 2 hours.
    - The editing. The movie went from night to day to night to day throughout the film. It made the story so disjointed that I gave up trying to piece together the events.
    - Random Army dude pushes your kid down some steps and kills him and their response is as if nothing happened??? I'd have thrown his butt off of my boat and told him to swim.

Borjis and Riceball like this.
  41. ChrisMD

ChrisMD New Member

Everything by Christopher Nolan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

42. Bentley

Bentley Member

Daniel Craig James Bond
    All Alien except James Cameron Aliens
    Matrix all of them
    Looper
    The Last Jedi

43. J EM

J EM Well-Known Member

New additions.

Home Alone. Something about Kevin's family is very fake. They're all annoying (so much that I almost understand why Kevin feels the way he does) and f*****g stupid. Morons! 'Pass it to Kevin. Pass it to Kevin! Pass it to Kevin…' or whatever the hell the quote is. People thought this was funny?? Ugh. The only parts I like about the movie are Kevin's interactions with the homeless woman.

Shape of Water
    This one was very cliche. It has a solid story but it's not all that original. Everything in it has been done before. I absolutely loathe French songs about romance and whatnot but my main gripe with this movie is how quickly the mute woman fell in love. And the creature. It's not as intelligent as too many people believe it is. She teaches it how to eat an egg, ffs. And it's wowed by the record player. I'm just going to go ahead and say it. It's a * movie. I might even say she raped it. People are using this movie to find real life parallels, saying that it's supposed provoke thoughts on how interracial relationships are still not widely accepted, and how racism and prejudice are part of the reason why - which is true - but it's not about that. It's about a desperate mute woman in her late 20s or early 30s with romantic delusions of grandeur - who copulates with a water creature at her nearest opportunity. *. It's disgusting. I did not care for the creature. it was just there. As an object for her to admire. Not once did it give a sign of romantic affection for the mute woman. The thing was about as intelligent as a dog is. And then the movie ends the same way a movie I absolutely hate (POTC4) ends. lol
    The Force Awakens
    Dark Knight trilogy - i'm finally over them
    Wonder Woman

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Rupert_Angier likes this.
  44. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I haven't seen it but what you describe is exactly what I'd expect. It has all the essential elements of a formula feel-good movie that strokes the viewer into a sense of moral superiority. What a load of treacle. The moment I'd hear the French music I'm sure I'd bust out laughing. The fact that it won Best Picture just shows how ridiculous the Oscars are.

If it's about racism I guess the message is that we should appreciate individuals even if their race means they're unintelligent and physically monstrous? :unsure

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  45. J EM

J EM Well-Known Member

I apologize for having spoiled it. I forgot to include spoiler tags damnit.

It's not about racism. I wish I could describe it better for you, but if you do ever watch it, you might take a similar impression to mine. It's not as bad as you may think it is. I just don't like it because it's not something I haven't seen before. It's really a very simple romance movie that's elevated to being something more than it is. Some viewers elevate it to being a movie that highlights issues that are still prominent in this day and age. Sexism, homophobia, racism. The movie is set in the early 60s and some of the characters in it do exhibit the prejudice of the time period. We know that such prejudice existed but despite that, it is not exaggerated in this movie. Some viewers could have felt moral superiority – maybe I did too in thinking it's a nasty * movie. That prejudice only adds authenticity; further establishes the time period. I don't think del Toro purposely wanted to start any conversations over it, but because people see what they want to see, hear what they want to hear, del Toro gets brownie points and people say it's what the movie is about.
    The villain is not really a villain. He might be a bit prejudiced, but even I thought that he wasn't such a bad guy. And his 'villainous' motivations are grounded in the reality of the time. They are not outrageous. He's really just doing his job.

You know, I went in with an open mind, rather looking forward to it. A minute in and I hear music (not a French love song) slowly start to fade in. Just a minute in. It was at that moment I knew I was in for a bad time. I sighed as I looked to the side, and thought 'you're f n kidding me.' I've had to sit through one too many movies of this kind. Enough artistic, some independent, low budget romance movies. Maybe set a bit further in the past because being in love seemed a lot more fulfilling in the old days; it's rather romanticized.

I suppose I'm not an adult, and am not a very romantic person lol. It's just difficult for me to escape and therefore understand. Something about these kinds of movies is just very fake. I wonder if it's why many people like them. They wish such things, such love, was still true.
    In the case of French love songs, I wouldn't laugh. I hear them and I just want to shove a drill into my ears. I developed an ill-judged conclusion – that if you want to be a pretentious, artsy-fartsy f***er making a movie, including a low to mid tempo French love song (sung by a woman) will give you the exact result you're after. That and a couple of aged filters. It has been done so many times. French love songs don't make the entirety of the soundtrack/score, but the movie does have one or two. And speaking of aged filters, it's one thing the movie does well. It does have a proper color palette and filters that make the film look aged. In my opinion that is kind of nice, and even though it's also a gimmicky thing, it was done right in this movie.

It's...strange. that I actually liked the protagonist. Not enough to remember her name though lol. I sympathize with her, but when you take things into consideration, I couldn't help but not feel the way I do about the movie. I don't pay attention to the Oscars, but if this movie was Oscar worthy, Oscars may not be much of an achievement.

46. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Coen Brothers remake of True Grit. I never saw the original. I love westerns. Love them. But this movie annoyed me to no end. Beautifully shot and cast but I found the little girl to be annoying as hell as a character. What really drove it home for me is that the whole movie she never once cries or even gets upset about her father being murdered in cold blood but for some reason is hellbent on getting revenge on the man who killed him, but when her horse dies bringing her to safety she bawls her eyes out. How the hell does that make any sense at all? The actress that played her? Talented beyond her years for sure. I just couldn't stand her character at ALL.

Plus Jeff Bridges mumbled through most of the movie and I had such a hard time understanding what he said that I didn't care about him either and that's saying a lot because Jeff Bridges is a mighty fine actor.

47. batguy

batguy Sr Member

They say the 'True Grit' remake stuck close to the book's original dialogue. I get the feeling that was responsible for some of those irks with the characters. They sorta have that feeling to them. Many of the characters sounded a little over-written and similar to each other.

Tarantino's characters get like that sometimes too. But it's also a signature part of his style and lots of people like it.

48. annanake

annanake Sr Member

Will Ferrell in anything !
    Elf is the only movie him being clueless makes sense .

He plays the same character in everything !

One that seems to have just arrived on Earth and has no idea how anything works , in Elf it makes sense in every other movie not so much .

Pretty much the same with Steve Carell !

Just being stupid and understanding nothing is not funny !

If it was my ex would be a comedy super star !

Birdie, Riceball and edge10 like this.
  49. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Here's the thing. The Coen Brothers' version of True Grit wasn't a remake of the 1969 movie starring John Wayne. Both movies were based on the novel "True Grit" written by Charles Portis and released in 1968. As such, there are similarities but the differences are due to differing filmmaking styles. The 1969 version was somewhat modernized, particularly with regards to the dialogue, but the Coen Brothers were more faithful to the novel because they were told the dialogue was more authentic to the way people spoke in 1875.

gedmac66 likes this.
  50. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, yeah. She'd kept it bottled up trying to be strong for her revenge quest, but one more loss broke the dam.

Axlotl, gedmac66, Bigdaddy and 2 others like this.