Movies that should never be re-made

Akira. i know it has been planned and it will happen, but I really don't think it's at all needed to be remade both as live-action and by Hollywood!

As a generalisation i don't like American remakes of Asian horror films. The psychological aspect gets lost a lot i find.

Westworld.

What if the movie is based on a book but as usual has nothing to do with the original source material? For example: "The Thing". "The Thing From Another World" was good, but had very little to do with the story "Who Goes There?" while "The Thing" was relatively close.

Also keep in mind that what you think is a perfect movie other people might not like at all. A lot of people on here worship Blade Runner, but I don't like. To me it is another movie that has little to do with the book. And I really hate those. I'm still waiting for a good War of the Worlds.

I believe there are lots of classics that should NEVER be redone but in this day and age I'm afraid no movie is safe... my personal choice is Nick Fury Agent of Shield I mean who's wants to see Sam Jackson instead of David Hasselhoff right? rotfl

Isn't it the truth, Commander Max. :rolleyes I just got into a huge argument with my partner (who is a Trekkie) about how significant all those changes really are. Lucas needs to give it a rest before we all mutiny.

A while ago that MTV studios announced it would be remaking The Rocky Horror Picture show. It's still in development and I'm praying with all my heart it gets scrapped. 100% of the appeal of that movie is the camp. If they take it away, it's just scrubbed and polished auto-tuned starlets putting on a very elaborate shadowcast as far as I'm concerned.

I'm really worried about Bubba Nosferatu (Bubba Ho-Tep prequel) as well. Sequels and reboots of cult classics are pretty much always bad news.

And if anyone ever touches The Nightmare Before Christmas, I will hunt them down.

Psycho should have never been remade. It was hitchcocks classic 1960 masterpiece and they just had to go and screw with it. I was and still am pissed about that one.

Don't EVER remake Waterworld because the first one SUCKED too much as it was!

I don't know... With a mind toward ecology, some better writing and acting, and a story that is more serious and fitting to the concept (without it being some big FX disaster movie), it could be a pretty neat film.

I don't know... With a mind toward ecology, some better writing and acting, and a story that is more serious and fitting to the concept (without it being some big FX disaster movie), it could be a pretty neat film.

Or you could give it to James Cameron to make and it'll be an incredibly preachy film. :lol

Films that sucked generally make for better remakes because there isn't that preconceived notion of greatness. The new film is able to stand on it's own merits. I think something like Waterworld would be a good candidate.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of parodies and stuff, but what I mean is a total remake.

When I said Star Wars had already been "touched", I was referring to the Special Editions. After all that Lucas did to them, and the damage from the prequels, (vader built c3po? really? midichlorians? wtf?) I don't think I would mind a complete remake of Star Wars.
I think it will happen eventually. You know someone in a meeting at Disney mentioned the idea. Probably all depends on how well 7, 8, and 9 do. They might be so great, they just keep going with 10, 11, and 12. Or they could decide to start all over and give it a fresh take.

Still hoping to see the unaltered versions released in HD though. Come on Disney.

A few that pop in my head that haven't already been mentioned are:

-Cool Hand Luke
-Little Big Man
-Birdman of Alcatraz
-Soylent Green

These old movies had such strong character/actor personas that could never be duplicated.

A few that pop in my head that haven't already been mentioned are:

-Cool Hand Luke
-Little Big Man
-Birdman of Alcatraz
-Soylent Green

These old movies had such strong character/actor personas that could never be duplicated.

As weird and cheesy as Soylent Green was I still liked and although I agree that it should not be rebooted, it'd be fun too see a modern day version of it. How about McDonald's?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back