Mouth of Sauron costume

JunkSabers1138

Sr Member
Hi everyone. I've been wanting to make my own MoS costume ever since I saw him on the LOTR ROTK extended version. I know a guy in my neighborhood (although he's constantly traveling around) who's a makeup artist so the mouth part itself might not be as much of a problem as it seems. The real problem is how to make out of scratch a helmet and robe and all the other things that went into this character's costume. If you'd be willing to help, would any of you give tips on how to get this made and if you've made a costume yourself would you please show it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't find anything like what I had in mind, and even the WIP that I couldn't see due to there being no link was a conceptual helmet and not the film helmet nor body costume, but its a pretty cool site and I WILL use it as a reference for my Witch King costume I had in mind. I thought the horse head pillow was pretty funny.

Thank you so much for helping.

The book "Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare" has about a page on the Mouth, but the Extended version of the ROTK dvd has the most information that I've seen on it. A gallery of sketches/photos, and a chapter about it in the Weta Workshop documentary.

<div class='quotetop'>(SmilingOtter @ Jul 7 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]1276193[/snapback]</div>
The book "Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare" has about a page on the Mouth, but the Extended version of the ROTK dvd has the most information that I've seen on it. A gallery of sketches/photos, and a chapter about it in the Weta Workshop documentary.
[/b]

I have that book and it is awesome, and the EXDVD is good reference for most of the costume. But what I meant was has anyone scratch built thier costumes like carboard sheets cut into shapes, painted, and either glued or riveted together for the helmet. Cutting their own robes, capes, etc. Or any other methods available. I know you're trying to help and I thank you for taking time to answer my question but my idea behind this thread was a completely DIY project.

<div class='quotetop'>(The_Dwimmerlaik @ Jul 7 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]1276294[/snapback]</div>
I think it will be awesome i have never seen a custom of MoS but will be awesome as a collector i will be really happy seeing something like that.
[/b]

Than I guess it's up to me to introduce the custom MoS costume to the prop/costume world. That's just what I was afraid of, being an absolute newbie at prop/costume building and collecting and having to be the only one who can bring this costume to life at the moment. :confused Maybe we could have some sort of contest on who can make the best MoS costume and I'll take the best parts of all the costumes and combine them into one. Who knows, it might just happen.

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/

This web site has a large following and if there is anyone who is doing this costume, it is problably listed there. They have a pretty good site for LOTR costumes, good reference, and a big network of fans who have done their own. Hope it helps... and good luck with your project. Sounds like fun.

That page is the best for customes, because they got the photos of the originals and i think that materials too, it will be a difficult job to make MoS the helm is pretty well done with that inscriptions :thumbsup good luck

<div class='quotetop'>(AlpineDarth Maul @ Jul 7 2006, 07:54 PM) [snapback]1276356[/snapback]</div>
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/

This web site has a large following and if there is anyone who is doing this costume, it is problably listed there. They have a pretty good site for LOTR costumes, good reference, and a big network of fans who have done their own. Hope it helps... and good luck with your project. Sounds like fun.
[/b]

Didn't have anything on the Mouth of Sauron, but a good site nonetheless. I'll definately use this in the future as a reference. Thanks for your help.

P.S.-- The site had a tiny section on making swords out of wood. Are there any other sites that have tutorials for wood LOTR swords? I'm going to have full access to my granddad's Shopsmith and other wood tools when he passes it on to my aunt and have had some pretty good ideas on making detailed wooden swords for friends as well as myself.

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 8 2006, 04:10 AM) [snapback]1276452[/snapback]</div>
OH. WAIT. I finally FOUND some pages related to MoS costumes. I read them and then I'll post what I thought of them.
[/b]
Any pics to show us what you're talking about? I haven't seen LotR in quite some time now. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(rollerboi @ Jul 8 2006, 12:20 AM) [snapback]1276490[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 8 2006, 04:10 AM) [snapback]1276452[/snapback]
OH. WAIT. I finally FOUND some pages related to MoS costumes. I read them and then I'll post what I thought of them.
[/b]
Any pics to show us what you're talking about? I haven't seen LotR in quite some time now. :)
[/b][/quote]

If you have The Return of the King extended DVD, then there is a whole scene with this guy added in there for you to see. If you don't, here's a pic on what I'm talking about.

[attachmentid=8937]

I want to know how to DIY with this costume.
I'm currently reading a costume page as we speak.
This one:
MoS costume progress

I must say that page was good for most of the costume and how it all went together. It didn't have much on how to build and assemble the helmet though. That looks like the hardest part for me. I got some gloves that look okay as I'm not going for a SUPER ACCURATE, EXPENSIVE MATERIALS kind of costume, but at least 75%-80% accurate one made with cheaper materials.

Any ideas on a DIY helmet?

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 12 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]1279601[/snapback]</div>
I now have a little understanding on how some of that cloth goes together, but I'm still doubtful about the helmet.
[/b]

For the helm you shall look on the Sideshow Weta 1/4 helm and you will have the idea

<div class='quotetop'>(The_Dwimmerlaik @ Jul 13 2006, 12:33 AM) [snapback]1279830[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 12 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]1279601[/snapback]
I now have a little understanding on how some of that cloth goes together, but I'm still doubtful about the helmet.
[/b]

For the helm you shall look on the Sideshow Weta 1/4 helm and you will have the idea
[/b][/quote]

What I meant was that I'm doubtful how to MAKE the helmet. My current theory on how to build this without using sculpting and casting (which I SUCK at.) is bending, gluing, and taping shapes of cardboard together and then painting it. I'm on a TIGHT budget to let you know. Thanks you for your help :) .

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back