More Sith Shenanigans, base suit complete

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by moose, Feb 22, 2012.

1. moose

moose Active Member

So I decided that now would be as good a time as any to rebuild my sith armor, considering if I start now I won't be in any sort of hurry, which will make things turn out that much better in the end.

I started by mocking up an undersuit out of 2mm foamies. The first time around I just glued the armor pieces to a black swimming rash guard...that didn't work out so well. Undersuit of foam should fix that right up. I took an undershirt and laid it on the floor to use as a template, and some time later ended up with this
    [​IMG]

I call it the Amazing Iron Spiderman suit. With a touch of the ol' crusader showing through. Anyway...

Here's the back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the wonky pics. I'm gonna end up leaving that back open and using straps and buckles for ease of access. Need to glue it all together and trim a bit, and I suppose that will be good to go.

Next, I realized I needed a neck seal. I turned to Ironman here, and used robo's neck edited by Stealth for foam. This is where I am now
    [​IMG]

I'll be transferring that to foamies for the rest of the night, and hopefully I'll get it all cut out and ready to be assembled. (omg I hate pep)

If you're interested, stay tuned! I've already got my foam for the rest of the armor, so as long as I can force myself to keep working on it, it should progress at a fairly constant pace.

Also, just so you're aware, I happen to be wearing the very same star wars shirt I was wearing when I made my last thread. Odd how things work out that way...

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. Hermes

Hermes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: More Sith Shenanigans, armor build up

Moose, buddy, I am wondering here - Which Sith Armor are you revamping there? It´s just that I´m not figuring that out now, but apart from that, Way to go! 2mm foamies are great for these beginnings, I hadn´t thought of those before. I think that once I make another armor (not this Iron Man´s, another one), I´ll definitely get the undersuit with foamies backing, like you, it´s extremely helpful! :) Thanks for the idea! :)

3. moose

moose Active Member

Hey man, no problem! I'm glad my ideas can be used by someone else :D

As for the origin of the armor, it's what the sith warriors wear in many of the Star Wars: The Old Republic trailers, looks like this
    [​IMG]

4. Hermes

Hm.... very interesting! I was approached to make one of the suits out of that game, if I recall correctly, Darth Malgus´s suit, and I always thouthg that this design was really becoming, as far as Star Wars goes :) I am not sure you need, but if you wish any help, regarding the technique I´ve used while making Doctor Doom´s, by all means, I`d be delighted to help out! :)

5. moose

moose Active Member

Ahhh, an accurate Malgus would be killer! and really, really hard! Thank you for the help offer, though! If I end up needing any advice, I'll find you. I saw your Doom, it blew me away :O

6. Hermes

Say, from what part of Florida are you? I go there from time to time, and depending on the distance, I may end up helping you in person the next time I´m in the United States.

7. moose

moose Active Member

I go back and forth between Orlando and Tampa usually.

8. Hermes

That´s pretty close to where I use to go. I am quite confident I will get to the Star Wars celebration, so we may meet up there, I´ll try to work the R2 Builders room again this year.

9. moose

moose Active Member

Ooo that's right, I absolutely want to get to celebration if at all possible. I'll definitely try to find you in that case!

On another note, brief update
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to kill myself :]

10. poopymcbutthole

poopymcbutthole Sr Member

that pick of you all dressed in that gear ..blew my mind ... i quit lol...

11. moose

moose Active Member

HAHAH right. i wish...if that was me i don't think i'd bother with this hot glue and foam stuff. then again, maybe i would. i seem to like hurting myself.

12. Lucien Kane

Lucien Kane Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see this all done! Keep up the good work I can already tell it's going to be a good one!

13. moose

moose Active Member

Hey hey, thanks! I really appreciate that!

14. StewYZF750

StewYZF750 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out, it might inspire me to dig mine out and remake some pieces.
    I lost interest in mine after the game came out for some reason (I think I saw the game's release as a finish point for the costume and haven't looked at it since).

15. poopymcbutthole

poopymcbutthole Sr Member

ohhh i have SO many hot glue gun burns on my hands ....

16. moose

moose Active Member

i have a nice big one on my thumb from when i was a kid. i suppose i learned my lesson then because i haven't hurt myself with the glue gun since.

on a more related note it seems like the front of the neck seal doesn't quite come far enough up my neck, so there's still a little skin showing between the mask and the seal. once i get the seal completely finished i'll have a look and see what i can do to remedy that. does anyone know where people usually split the seal so it can be put on and taken off?

also i think i'm going to ban myself from any sort of pep-related projects.

17. Engelnicht

Engelnicht Well-Known Member

Wow! Can't wait to see the progress!

18. moose

moose Active Member

Many thanks!

19. moose

moose Active Member

mmk, a wee update. neck seal is essentially complete...looks like garbage but hey, it was my first go at pep altogether so whatever :sick:sick:sick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

like i mentioned before, the front bit doesn't rise quite high enough and my skin/neckbeard can be seen under the mask, so i'm gonna have to do something about that. also that thing is wonky and asymmetrical as hell. oh well :rolleyes

20. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Ohhhh man, that's so savage! Looks like it was ripped right from the game.

21. moose

moose Active Member

that pic of the full armor was from a making of video i believe, so in essence i guess it was lol.

22. moose

moose Active Member

'nother update (because i've got nothing better to do than to work on this, unfortunately....)

i managed to reinforce all the seams of the undersuit from the inside, so i could remove the tape. also i attached the neck seal...and butchered the hell out of it to make the thing work. sooo, i kinda cheated i guess, but the backside won't be seen anyway so long as i have my hood up. also i realized i'm retarded because i jumped the gun on attaching the two pieces, and totally skipped cleaning up the neck seal by removing all the glue that's showing, and patching up all the holes. anyway, ze peekchas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and one with my foot for...reference?
    [​IMG]

in case anyone is wondering, i intend to use straps and parachute buckles on the back gap, and i might just do that tomorrow because it's getting to be a pain not having the thing on correctly while trying to fit things. not sure on the back of the seal, yet. i already know wearing this thing's gonna be HOT HOT HOT so i kinda would like to leave it open, but i may glue in an elastic strap. not too sure on that though, as it already kinda feels a bit tight around the neck. also still have to work on the front of the seal. i gots a big neck (aka double chin). i'm pretty pleased with the suit so far though :) a lot more thought has gone into it than on the first attempt, and i'm really hoping it shows this time.

anyhow, stay tuned! thanks for the support so far, it really helps with the process :$

23. moose

moose Active Member

yet another small update (slow, i know, but at least it's coming along.) i got the straps and buckles on the back. now i just need to figure out what to do with the rear side of the neck, and work on the front, and the base suit will be basically complete :) all that would remain would be to clean it up some. enjoy my multicoloredness!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Engelnicht

Engelnicht Well-Known Member

That's a good bit of progress! Keep it up!

25. moose

moose Active Member

your wish is my command

more straps! lol i had to get the back side of the neck to look less like wings about to fly away, so a quick bit of elastic did the trick! also i added another strip of foam to the front of the neck (the yellow bit) so it would rise further up my neck beneath the mask.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aaaaand of course, right before these next ones were taken, one of my seams popped, which i have at least temporarily fixed, but more reinforcing on the inside will need to be done before i really wear it again. the elastic pulls in such a way that it puts tension on the seams :unsure

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but all in all i like the way it's turned out thus far. my neck is pretty well hidden at this point, so that's a plus. a little bit more to do in terms of flattening everything out (like the bacon neck around the front where the seal is glued in place) and i think i'll have it to my liking and ready to be cleaned up.

next in line is...actually i have no idea :confused

i already have the shoulder pads from the previous build, and they aren't even seen so i won't worry about redoing those. just need to affix them to the vest. after that i suppose i start on the chest plates. not terribly excited about that bit, but i know i can easily finish it off in one sitting if i get motivated enough.

once the neck seams are reinforced i'll post a pic of me in the undersuit, mask, and cloak just to see how it all works together. stay tuned :)

26. crabra comander

Will you end up hiding the straps on the back and how?

27. moose

moose Active Member

nah i won't be hiding them. at least, not for the singular sake of hiding them. i'll be wearing my cloak pretty much at all times, so the back won't be seen at all. if i WAS going to hide them...i'd probably use long, wide strips of foamy to make a sort of pocket that the extra strapping could slide into, sorta like an elongated belt loop. probably an over-thought method, but i'd do it anyway because i tend to over-think. i wouldn't really be able to hide the elastic at all since it needs to be able to stretch, but again, my cloak, and therefore my hood, should hide that nicely.

EDIT: reinforcement done. pics commencing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDITED EDIT: hello wonky chin

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  28. moose

moose Active Member

ok so i want some suggestions. i've got 3 pics here, and i want your input. based on these

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the chest plates are shaped something like this

[​IMG]

now i know that's not *quite* the shape, but as a basic idea i think that's how it looks versus my previous attempt which looked like this

[​IMG]

what do you all think?

29. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

It looks fine. I might be wrong but i think that image is a rendered model they built for the cinematic so the armor is going to move with the model to make it look stretched out. It's definitely open more in the middle of the plates with a chest guard behind it, but that is an easy fix. I came up with this.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  30. moose

moose Active Member

yeah i had totally forgotten about the stretching. it's very easily seen in other screencaps, too. thanks for reminding me! and yeah i think you're right about the shape. i've got the longer pieces cut out already (the base chest guards i guess?) so that pectoral plate should fit right over it. i'd have to modify my piece a little for that outer part but that's about the least difficult thing possible lol. thank you very much Cal!

actually now that i think about it i probably won't cut that bit out of the base plate. give it some extra definition.

31. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Ya, no problem I'm building one of these myself and looking to get 501st approved with it. I would maybe just stencil in the design on the armor you have and paint it a different color than the inside? I don't know. I spent time shaping the leg armor tonight, and I dread the mask because I have no idea how big or small to make it. I did get some smooth-caste 321 to resin the arms and mask but I need to get done by the 24th haha,

32. moose

moose Active Member

ugh, the legs. i'm dreading that. as for the mask...i got lucky in that it was perfectly proportioned when i made it. i did no initial sizing or anything like that. once i got the faceplate part made from card stock i made a duct tape double of my head to use as a base to make the rest of the mask. but good luck with getting it done in a few weeks' time, and on the 501st approval. i know they are pretty stringent when it comes to this stuff.

33. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I can give you what I came up with for the legs give me a few to post a picture.

34. moose

moose Active Member

35. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will probably need all the help I can get. I measured the basic shape. I am cutting the front out of thick foam and the back out of thin so it wont be so bulky around the legs. I also allowed a half inch more on the inner thin foam for thickness of the material.

36. crabra comander

Thats a great chest piece. You made that free hand out of foam?

37. moose

moose Active Member

aha, thanks for that! so the large part is the main bit covering the outer thighs, is the small part the sort of "strap," for lack of a better word, that goes around the inner thigh? i've got tree trunks for legs and i'm 6'3" so i may have to alter that pattern a little but that's still a HUGE help!

Crabra, you mean the life vest? lol yeah, i free handed it. i laid a wife-beater type undershirt down on the floor, covered up half of that with 2mm foam and drew the symmetrical half onto the foam. of course i made the shoulders wider, and had to do a bit of other alterations as the build progressed, but i think it worked out nicely :D

38. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Yes, that is exactly how it fits. It should fit I am 6'3" as well and my thigh circumference is 27 inches. You can make the inner strap as long as you would like, only the outside has details anyway. As you can see, the Sith and Jedi armors are identical.

39. moose

moose Active Member

gotcha. yeah it was nice when i noticed that their armors are almost exactly the same. i just wish there was a non-trailer version of the acolytes out there, because those renders do show a few differences, but not enough to really matter. how are you planning to do the thighs in terms of construction? are you going to just glue the two pieces together and slide them on? if you do, which is absolutely the easiest way, let me suggest that you add some sort of strapping that you can clip onto a belt, because those things do NOT like to stay in place.

40. moose

moose Active Member

chest armor ready to be glued onto the base suit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here you can see what i did to the backside of the foam. i want the seams to be as clean as possible, so that meant sanding down the diamond pattern on the edges of the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

whoops i take that back. still need to cut that rectangle out of each base piece.

41. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

That looks good. Yes, I just plan to slide the leg armor over my legs. I'm almost done with one of the leg plates.

42. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

Scratch that, have a setback, the glue I used apparently isn't flexible like it says it is and the armor cracked all over, have to redo it :(

43. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

gotta use hot glue man!! its holds really good with the foam.

44. sokar

sokar New Member

for so far it looks really great, any new photo's of the finished costume
    ?

45. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I meant as a sealer, it wasn't flexible at all.

46. moose

moose Active Member

Cal, i'd honestly suggest plastidip if you can get it. the stuff is rubber in a can, absolutely flexible. and it creates a pretty nice texture. the leg looks great, though. do you have to redo the whole leg, or just the sealing process?

Sokar, thanks for the compliment! nah, no photos yet, and it's definitely not anywhere near finished. i didn't get a chance to work on it today as i was out and about with my roommate and his dad.

47. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I tested the glue on a separate piece, I don't know what happened. While plasti-dip is great it would cost alot to do this entire armor. Yes I did it all over again with the thin foam and learned from it. I only have to glue the foam in one place this way, since the foam sheet is so big I can make one single piece. If I get a technique dialed in I can do the rest without slowing I hope.

48. Moosedan

Moosedan New Member

Keep it going!

49. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I don't know if you have been sick and lazy like me, but I havn't done much more on mine and time is ticking down, ahhhrgg.

50. SampleName

SampleName Well-Known Member

Looking cool! Can't wait to see the rest!