Monster hunter - Barioth

Registered just because I'm such a huge fan of the MH games, and I can't wait to see how this build will go. I'm still very new to propmaking, but hopefully, I'd like to work on my skills to try my hand at some of the armors at some point.

From what I gather, the black and white material are both sintra, and the grey material lining the ridges on the pauldron are epoxy as well?

Registered just because I'm such a huge fan of the MH games, and I can't wait to see how this build will go. I'm still very new to propmaking, but hopefully, I'd like to work on my skills to try my hand at some of the armors at some point.

From what I gather, the black and white material are both sintra, and the grey material lining the ridges on the pauldron are epoxy as well?

grey and green, yeah, right now its all Sintra and Apoxie, the reason for the differing colors is because i had some left overs of the 'natural' color before i started using the white color putty

wow i am really anticipating this! great craftsman ship so far carving out all the minor details on the bones and horns it looks amazing , can only imagine what it will look like finished , keep up the fantastic work ... NYA :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Not familiar with the game.. but beautiful work is beautiful work! How thick is your sintra? You have some nice depth in those bone cracks, my friend. (y)thumbsup

Not familiar with the game.. but beautiful work is beautiful work! How thick is your sintra? You have some nice depth in those bone cracks, my friend. (y)thumbsup

i'm using a mix of 1/8th and 1/4th inch, depending on the part.
The kneepad is 1/4th, but the shin armor that is below the knee, is 1/8th for example.

The depth to your pieces is a beautiful elaboration on the rather flat in-game detailing, just gorgeous. Always great to see another MH fan out there. We could be clawed nipple buddies! Planning on a weapon as well?

Kommissar I cant stress how awesome this is!! I made a Barioth set a year ago for a convention that wasn't constructed in the greatest way. I didn't know how to go about the "shell" type of look for the plates but what you use allows for it all to be durable and yet flashy.

I haven't finished the arms/legs for the set so I hope you don't mind if I use this guide to finish it up. However I would like to come back and ask for assistance/opinions from you. I love crafting armor and Monster Hunter is one of my favorite game series out there. I made a set of Rathian Gunner armor and walked around in it at a convention in Detroit and won an award for it so believe me when I say this journal is amazing and that I hope you don't mind if I use it to make armor as well.

The depth to your pieces is a beautiful elaboration on the rather flat in-game detailing, just gorgeous. Always great to see another MH fan out there. We could be clawed nipple buddies! Planning on a weapon as well?
Thanks! i'd love to check out shots of your armor like in your avatar, i haven't seen many Barioth armor costumers, and would love to see your work!

and yeah, my plan is to make myself a bone katana, probably the one tagged as "bone katana wolf"

Thank you for your interest! If it's cool, I'm just gonna toss my 3 favorite pictures in here. I didn't wanna pop in & try to threadjack you. If you'd rather I don't post these in your thread, lemme know & I'll remove them.

I'm very pleased to see that we had some similar ideas on construction, yours much better executed of course!

1/3 Photo by Betwixt Photos Photography
288825_257387697630414_246196785416172_629400_2141425687_o.jpg

2/3 Photo by Pics by the Moon
299140_125747890861335_116278745141583_94102_760613391_n.jpg

3/3 Photo by Pics by the Moon
329444_209683902435397_100001813673633_509842_572409521_o.jpg

Well color me impressed!
this just makes me more excited to get mine done.

i should also probably share pics of the white horse hair i picked up for the costume, and the leather pouch ive made

I tried horse hair for my Kirin. I couldn't cut it right. The hairs were thick and itchy on my nether-regions, then multiply that times pantyhose. I ended up harvesting a couple wigs that matched my helm(s) for the (colour matched and already tapered) wefts. Did the same thing for the Barioth except with MORE HAIR!

What do the backs of the male sets look like? The girls got a nifty little butt-sack pouch thing.

I tried horse hair for my Kirin. I couldn't cut it right. The hairs were thick and itchy on my nether-regions, then multiply that times pantyhose. I ended up harvesting a couple wigs that matched my helm(s) for the (colour matched and already tapered) wefts. Did the same thing for the Barioth except with MORE HAIR!

What do the backs of the male sets look like? The girls got a nifty little butt-sack pouch thing.

the guys have this armored plate that comes down like three plates of samurai armor to cover his butt.. personally i want to be able to sit down, so i'm copying the female backside for that, i'll have some hair loincloth and i've already got the leather pouch made i just need to make a clasp for it.
originally i wanted to work in the monster hunter tribal art crest into the pouch, but i need more practice with leatherwork before i attempt that.

good thing for me, the males actually wear pants.. so i dont have to worry about the itch

started
58d24fe6.jpg

and finished
3bf5339b.jpg
some work on the backhand plates.
i actually intentionally overheat the sintra for all the bone parts, because it causes this rough texture over the plastic, which looks quite organic and open celled, which i think helps reinforce the bone like look of the plates.

and a quick shot of 200 bucks worth of horse hair and a couple of leather pouches.
i kind of appreciate that my leatherworking skills aren't perfect, while i want to improve them, i think the fact they have a very handmade look right now, helps reinforce the kind of tribal look of everything
803f5713.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing both of you I love the work and dedication you both put into all of this :D.

I may not be as skilled as both of you but you both inspire me to keep working at it and learning more and more when it comes to armor crafting.
So far here is my best Armorset:

Damien, my biggest suggestion is to make armor from scratch more, or hide it better. dirtbike armor or sports armor that you've used for limb armor in a few of your costumes are very obvious, cover it fully with things that look like the source material, don't just settle for a real world item that 'looks close' and you'll be on the right track :)
fellow monster hunters unite!

Right I understand and it was kind of the lazy way to do things. Now that I've seen this journal and saw how you made the armor pretty much come to life, I've gotten excited to make armor from scratch.

I noticed I can use Sintra and different types of Apoxies to help craft what I need so going about making durable armor wont be that big of a problem anymore. My tail shield on my left arm is crafted out of various materials and put together with fabric mache and melded together with mold-able plastic.

My problem now is that I need to get good at sculpting and become familiar with this material that I have yet to use. Through all your progress it seems like detail and is key when it comes to this armor set. However I don't know how you attached the plated pieces as well as what you use to "belt" them to your limbs etc. The Barioth and Nargacuga are the next armorsets I plan to make so I hope you dont mind If I use this journal and ask help/advice from you.

Hunters Unite!

if its relevant to my barioth build feel free to post your questions here, otherwise send me a PM.

i use a lot of superglue for my builds, but it depends, there are a lot of glues that work well and no one perfect one.

as for the belts? i haven't attached strapping to my armor yet, when i do, i'll be including shots of it.

when you start work on your next project, don't post it here, but make a brand new thread about it, share your work with its own thread :)

Right, I plan on following a similar pattern for the narga stuff but Idk where its going to go as of right now. The helmet is going to be the hardest part to make.

Im starting to break away from using outside items to my armor to make it feel more like my own work. In my Rathian Gunner photos the only piece that was sports gear were the shin guards. Everything else I made/sewed and painted so I will start putting up logs on my MH Armor creation.

Back