Moebius Battlestar Galactica. The old one!

Wow! That is excellent for sure.

Thank you Mr. Lewis!

Tonight Show Love GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Mr. edge, you old softy. ;)

Folks... Has anyone used the Shapeways bridge on their Galactica build? If y'all have, can you chime in here with some thoughts? I've been foolin' around with the one Mr. Analyzer sent me and I seem to have a problem. I watched "stevethefish.net's youtube video where he is using it and it appears that I'm not the only one to notice this, but it's too big? When it's placed where it goes on the model, it extends either far too forward or far too rearward, depending on which way you wanna go? Can some of y'all that have used this tell me what y'all found out with it?

Here's what I'm talking about.

Here's my modified bridge placed where it goes. Now, although nowhere near as detailed as the shapeways part, it IS in scale with the studio model.

DSCN0392.jpg

Here, we have the shapeways bridge in place. As close as I can anyway, because that lump behind the bridge would need to be removed to mount this piece properly, but I can show what I mean with this. In this picture, I have it placed where it will have to go along the forward edge. As you can see, it goes well beyond the detail piping.

DSCN0393.jpg

Here, I have it placed forward and lined up with the rear where it would have to go and as can be seen here, it extends much too far forward.

DSCN0394.jpg

Here, as I sorta posted during the review earlier, is my modified bridge directly on top of the shapeways part. That shapeways part would have to be almost the exact same size to look proper on this model?

DSCN0398.jpg

Are you shure you did not order the GALACTIKA COMMAND BRIDGE SALZO in stead of the GALACTIKA MOBIUS BRIDGE DRILLED. It looks about right for the Salzo Galactika judging by the size of the Mobius model.

Are you shure you did not order the GALACTIKA COMMAND BRIDGE SALZO in stead of the GALACTIKA MOBIUS BRIDGE DRILLED. It looks about right for the Salzo Galactika judging by the size of the Mobius model.

Hey moonbus! I'm absolutely positive. I didn't order either. From an earlier post, I mentioned that Mr. Analyzer gave it to me. It does have 2 holes drilled in the front of it though?

Oh ya, that right, maybe he ordered the Salzo parts. Have you looked at
they have combo sales as well.

...maybe he ordered the Salzo parts...

Mr. moonbus, I wouldn't think that was what this is, but I don't know? It certainly doesn't look like the one in your links, that's for sure.

It is possible Mr. Analyzer is playing a trick on me because he knows how innocent, trusting and naive I am?

I'm positive he'll be here shortly to answer some questions.

Just putting out possibilities. You are doing a Great job. I feel confident you'll make it work. Keep up the good work.

Just putting out possibilities. You are doing a Great job. I feel confident you'll make it work. Keep up the good work.

Why, Thank you sir! Possibilities noted for sure. It's certainly too big right now, so there is that. ;)

Looking at the description of that link you sent it states...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION​

Galactika drilled Command Bridge for the Mobius kit
If you have a BSG Mobius and you want to upgrade the command bridge, you will need this part!

This is a new version of the bridge, with standard heigth and pre drilled holes for 0.25 mm fiber optics.

This is a quasi perfect replica of the filming model used on the BSG film. It matches all the little details, lines and shapes of the original filming model. Screen accurate as much as possible.

And it has more than 30 pre drilled holes for 0.25 mm fiber optics!!!

It has the perfect size to match the big Battlestar; this part is 22 x 17 mm -without the slope-.

The bridge has a skirt at the bottom that you can sand to match the slope of the hull.

I hope that you will enjoy this part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, that description is exactly the measurements of the one I have in front of me as to the size... 22MM X 17MM minus the slope. Now, it only has 2 holes in it, but those DIMS are there. That being the case seems to imply that this IS for the MOEBIUS.

Way too big for my liking.

Last edited:
Yep it is smaller than the Salzo one. "It has the perfect size to match the big Battlestar; this part is 47 x 49 mm length" Man that's a bummer.

Oh ya, that right, maybe he ordered the Salzo parts. Have you looked at
they have combo sales as well.

This is the part

As far as it's size, I am not sure if the Moebius model is that far off or if the bridge is really oversized

For mine, I went to the Moebius kit being off and wound up placing it like this

Maybe that is wrong though and the Shapeways bridge needs to be resized

I will say that the front piece he made fits perfectly so I find it odd that he would make a bridge so far off?

IN this build someone did, you can see they used the bridge and front, but they also added those side details and looks like the rebuilt the raised part going from the Bridge to the nose

I think the Moebius kit is too narrow and flat in that area without the side pieces

710x528_21020391_2850405_1586106098_1_0.jpg

Although there is a difference I notice now between the one I have and the one I sent you. The piece that sticks out the back is more angled in mine and less in yours. The main bridge part is the same size, but the back is more squared and less of an angle

P1131551 (2).JPG
P1131552.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, as y'all have figured out already, we gots numerationous siddyations here.

Take a gander at here. Now, although the sizing hack I applied may not be perfect, it certainly tells us what we need to know.

Here's my modded bridge.

modded bridge.jpg

And here's the shapeways bridge with the same treatment, aligned on the model to the rear position so that we can see the nose details.

shapebridge.jpg

I got more to spout off on this, but y'all ponder till I get back!

Here, is the model without any bridges in place.

Here it is in the "out-of-the-box" original head:

unmoddedramp.jpg

Here it is with my modded head. As I mentioned at the start, I, like "DUBS" have modified that ramp:

moddedramp.jpg

Now, looking at all these comparisons, neither the original bridge supplied with the kit OR the shapeways bridge are exactly right when compared to the studio model. One thing, and this may be a saving point here, that nose ramp appears to be a bit too long. If I take a little out of that and straighten up those two pipes behind the bridge (the ones Mr. Analyzer had to trim), I should be able to gain some ground here?

Y'all see what I'm figuring with this?

With much love an respect, none of your port starboard comparisons line up correctly, or perhaps it is just a less than accurate model (we should really just relax).

The trench for the red stripe is further aft on the Mobeius kit as are the vertical stripes on the side of the gator head.

RELAX???? Man, if there's ever BEEN a time to NOT relax, this is it! In fact, PANIC is exactly where we need to be right now and I find it concerning you ain't right here with me....

Ok, ok...

OHMMM... ohhhhhmmmmmm...

Yes sir, that's what I'm trying to show. There's several problems here, but correcting that nose ramp just a little and fixing those pipes more studio will give me around 3-ish MM's. That nose ramp is far enough off that correcting that should do the trick alone. Starting from the first details up that ramp, the details start getting off. With mine, it will be an easy fix because I've already removed it from the model to raise it and have added the extra styrene sheet under it.

Just by trimming that front ramp (simulated in this picture) everything lines up much better.

moddedrampa.jpg

Everybody, please, NONE of what I'm doing here should be taken as criticism towards ANYTHING. I didn't make either this kit OR this piece nor would I presume to.

Mr. Tony has provided things for this kit that no one else has and they are excellent additions and the details are excellent.

Everything I'm pointing out here is undoubtedly differences in BOTH this kit and this piece as compared to the studio model and THAT'S ALL.

I agree, I think the main issue with the Moebius kit as you mentioned is the nose part is too long

It looks like the Studio model has a stubbier one and the round raised parts and other greeblies in front of the bridge are too far back.

You almost have to rebuild that ramp section if using the Shapeways bridge or make some kind of compromise

that's what was done here
moebius-tos-gal9-jpg.jpg

I did warn that once you start looking at the details on how to fit the bridge it opens a whole can of worms and you start seeing how off some of the details/shapes really are

It reminds me of this

take the red pill and go down the rabbit hole of fixing the ramp or take the blue pill and remain blissfully ignorant

_122247422_pills.jpg

Last edited:
I'll remain blightfully an ignoramus thank you very much... Just took both them pills of course... I'll re-make that ramp too. Cuttin' it off'n the model right now. Pray for the old thumb again.

It appears to me to be a combo of both Mr. Analyzer. That bridge is too large AND that model is wrong in that area. We'll, as you've said, do what can be done for a compromise.

I just said watch the thumb yet I'm still gonna type this and cut that at the same time. Multitasking at it's finest.

In the immortal words of Mr. Ray Stevens, "Hey Cyclone, remember me? I'm the guy you put ta sleep, only THIS time you can SEE I'm, not alone!"

Ok, maybe the wrong quote, but we are now "noseless". Feels like starting over! Next, I'm removing the ramp behind the bridge.

DSCN0406.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back