Modding the Rubies DL- 44 heavy blaster.

NAZGÛL

Sr Member
Heres my attempt to turn a Rubies Han-Solo Blaster into a durable blaster for my TIE costume. I wanted to keep the sound effect feature. Therefore I had to keep the battery box opening on the right grip.

Heres what I did with it:

1. Removed the front end part at the muzzle. Drill out the small holes in the muzzle part. Just follow the dent pattern, its really easy.

blaster1.jpg

2. Sanded the Made in China text.

3. Filled the screwholes with putty.

blaster3.jpg

4. Drilled holes in the scope. The hole in the front is the only tricky part when modding this IMO. Go slow when drilling, and start with a small drill, and go bigger step by step. If you do this wrong it will break. :eek

blaster2.jpg

5. Glued the scope. The scope needs glue at the top where the scope halves meet. I used regular hobby plastic glue.

6. (Optinial) Screwed two spacers to the round thingies at the right side.

7. Removed the silver decal at the muzzle part.

8. Sanded and prepared it for paint. To give the blaster a worn look I used rough sandpaper. Tape "the speaker" inside the muzzle.

9. Painted it with semi gloss black. Go flat if you prefer that look. I decided not to paint the grip flat dark brown, making it look like wood. I prefer the black grips that can seen on some blasters though. Since this is for trooping, it is good if its easy to repaint, so thats another plus with black grips.

blaster4.jpg

blaster5.jpg

So next is to paint silver at random edges, making it look worn and to give it a few washes for a weathered effect.

If anyone is on the fence if getting one of these, I hope this helps.

Cheers

Not bad at all. Quite an improvement.

I don't mind solid color paint jobs, but I think it improves the look with different finishes at least. Maybe flat for the grips. Satin for the receiver and barrel. Maybe even tape off a few areas to keep shiny, and hit the rest with a flat and/or satin clear finish.

Conny, I dont think this is available here? Got it off e-bay cheap, and I guess a toy store around here would have a higher price.

Brewer: I agree. Ill see what I can do with the washes.

I just got the same one off ebay. The auction picture was the ESB blaster so when I got this one I was disapointed. I've beem modding a 1977 ANH Solo blaster next project is a ESB blaster (after my E-11 build)

Cool, and thanks! :thumbsup

I did the weathering tonight, so now its finished. I went a little heavier on the muzzle.

blaster7.jpg

blaster6.jpg

Cheers

Nice job. I've got one of these and apart from the scope, it's pretty good for a toy. I stuck a rubber washer on the front end to give the impression that it wasn't part of the barrel.

Badsprout

Last edited:
Thanks, Nazgul. I've loaded a couple more pics, sorry about the quality but I took them with my phone and I no longer own the blaster. Base coat is Satin Black, flash supressor is Gunmetal and Polished Steel, and grips are Red Brown with a lighter brown drybrush. I reckon the Rubies is the ideal first mod for a beginner, the only serious work needed is the hole-drilling. But it's a shame that they don't do the ESB version as TK61 mentioned.

Cheers, Badsprout

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back