Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018) - Nuke remote trigger device

sschueller

Hi everyone,

My first post :). I want to build the beautiful trigger device they had in the movie and I am looking for some input regarding parts if anyone has any suggestions on sources. I think I will make it into an egg timer or maybe an alarm clock.

Has anyone else already started a project to build a replica of this thing?

My initial plan is to model the whole thing in the Fusion 360 and 3d print a mock up to get the size.

The rotary encoder and antenna on top seem quite standard as well as the flip trigger. However the red key thing and black thing below I can't quite place. The display appears to be an LCD with two different backlights or possibly an OLED.

I also don't have any high res screen caps so I can't make out what it says on the buttons. If anyone has a better image that be great.

I will add to this thread my progress.

Here are some screens:

vlcsnap-2018-09-29-21h24m46s550.pngvlcsnap-2018-09-29-21h32m21s811.pngvlcsnap-2018-09-29-21h24m57s758.pngCropperCapture[159].png

Parts found so far:

My Key:
(v) = Verified the item which was used in original
(m) = Matches
(a) = Appears to match
(s) = Similar
(c) = Custom made
(?) = unknown

- (a) Antenna -> appears to be a regular 433 Mhz 5db with SMA connector (1pcs 433Mhz Antenna 5dbi With Sma Male Connector for Walkie Talkie Baofeng Interphone-in Antennas for Communications from Cellphones & Telecommunications on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group)

- (s) Red button flip cover -> SCHUTZ 20-26 - Sicherheitsabdeckungen, rt

- (?) Rubber recessed buttons -> Looks like a custom set of rubber buttons. Should be able to get those made if we can get the correct labels and dimensions.

- (s) Display -> LCD appears to be CGI. This RGB LCD would fit: IPS 2.4 inch 262K SPI TFT LCD Screen with Adapter Board ILI9341 Drive IC 8/16Bit Interface 240(RGB)*320-in LCD Modules from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

- (a) Rotary encoder -> 3 PC Guitar and Bass metal knob volume and tone knob guitar replacement-in Guitar Parts & Accessories from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

- (?) Key -> Looks custom or like some sort of military / aviation connector?

- (?) Screws -> appear to be standard M2 or M2.5, may also be rivets but difficult to tell from the screens

I created a parametric model based on the screens I have. You can download it here: MI: Fallout remote trigger prop by sschueller . It is incomplete at this time and most likely not accurate. If you make changes or improvements please let me know.

Last edited:
Re: MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT Nuke remote trigger device

I had the same idea (fusion360 + 3D printing). Unfortunately the Blu-ray/digital release date isn't till November/December, so its gonna be a while till we get good reference images.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Looking around for an LCD, I can't find anything that really fits.

Some observations:
- There is a black frame around the display which is quite common with charter and graphic LCD displays
- There is a slight yellow or red background which would indicated a inverted LCD module and not OLED as that would have a complete black background
- The viewing angles is quite extreme in some of the screens so that would again point towards OLED as LCD (unless IPS) does not have a great viewing angle.
- The resolution of the text in the screens is quite high which would point more towards a regular LCD (like a phone or tv) but those never have a black plastic boarder around them.
- The LCD could be CGI :(

I found this which is a bit too large and only one color. Also the resolution is too low in my opinion.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Whi...2864-OLED-Display-Module-IIC/32839780525.html

I think they most definitely did screen replacement in post-production, the display looks way too sharp and the environment lighting doesn’t really seem to affect the display.
I’ve been trying to find the typefaces they’ve used, to recreate the screen graphics in After Effects but I haven’t found anything yet. Looks like I may have to build my own font which is a major pain.

I think they most definitely did screen replacement in post-production, the display looks way too sharp and the environment lighting doesn’t really seem to affect the display.
I’ve been trying to find the typefaces they’ve used, to recreate the screen graphics in After Effects but I haven’t found anything yet. Looks like I may have to build my own font which is a major pain.
Makes sense since it would also make it easier in the cutting room to switch scenes and make sure the timer reads the correct time. Now I hope there will be some DVD extras with a shot of the actual device before post production hopefully with a screen and not a green mask :/.

I began working on my model today. I started by importing all the images into Photoshop to correct for all of the perspectives and then 'patched' them into one image so I could get a better idea of what I was looking at. I then brought it into Fusion360 and calibrated the image to the dimensions of the flip-switch I found (whilst accounting for z-depth) and started sketching. My overall model is a bit smaller when compared to yours, so I may have made a mistake. I have to say though, your file is way way more organised than mine. Also I'm guessing that the LEDs are 3mm, 5mm feels a bit too big.
Also I've been looking at the flip-switch cover some more and they're going for 90$ a pop, I may need to model that too.

Last edited:
Did you happen do find the flip switch without a hole from apem? I can only find one with the hole and like you said they are quite expensive. I added the one with the hole (apex has the 3d models on their website if you login) to my model.

Last edited:
Look at my earlier post, I found one without the hole. Series 26pn sells anywhere from $80-100 CAD

The 26pn appears to be shaped a bit different. There is a bevel, see picture below. Anyhow because of the price I think I will try to buy a cheap one on ebay and 3d print the lid to match. I removed the hole in the flip guard in my model on thingiverse.

View attachment 846694

Do you have any experience in 3d printing semi flex materials? I was thinking of printing the device in a material similar to hard rubber.

I modeled more parts (update on https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3129088).

- The key is modeled correctly with the rubber cap and prongs.
- Added some screws (M1.6) and adjusted the holes to fit
- Adjusted LCD cutout for 1.8" graphic LCD (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-COG-12...erial-ST7565P-3v-w-RGB-Backlight/291037052683)
- I still need to decypher the remaining buttons however.

Here is a render from Fusion 360

Remote Trigger v92.pngRemote Trigger v92v2.png

Funny thing when you look at screen caps over and over you notice all kinds of "mistakes". For example in the screens of the laptop showing the device the white line on the key goes in the opposite direction as on the actual device in the movie. You can also notice a shift in the LCD counter when jumping between frames which clearly point to it being CGI. In one scene the antenna is completely bent and broken, later it is in one piece again :)

Last edited:
You can also notice a shift in the LCD counter when jumping between frames which clearly point to it being CGI. In one scene the antenna is completely bent and broken, later it is in one piece again :)

Whilst Tom Cruise was out of commission due to his broken ankle, the script went through major rewrites and what portions of the movie they had was heavily modified. Continuity must have been a nightmare!

The font appears to be Anvylon Regular or very similar (https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/crestaco/anvylon/regular/glyphs.html)

Good job on the 3D model! However, I would recommended double checking the display’s aspect ratio.

The display is not according to the movie right now as the only LCD I could find so far is that size I have in the model. I am still looking for an LCD that matches better so I can adjust the model back to how it is in the movie. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, you hit the nail on the head. How on Earth did you manage to find it, I tried running it through one of those online font image analysis things and got nothing. I'll start working on the screen graphics right now.

I used https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ but had to go through a few pages until I found it. The 0 and 1 is what I was looking for.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back