Millennium Falcon Alternative Early Concept Version

So a bit of figuring out for the underside...the original drawing had the landing gear coming down like a classic UFO....so I’ve tried to do that with the radius of the ship

3285B938-E662-4D51-9DD7-E1934D459683.jpeg
A809F5C0-AB62-41E3-96B1-DC3EA32F60A3.jpeg

311AFB16-C605-4FCD-908B-CC71076CFEC5.jpeg

thanks for looking

John

Last edited:
This ship shouldn't be this cool looking! On paper, it's ridiculous. As a model, it is so damn awesome! I wonder what would've been had Joe Johnston made a maquette of the drawing to show George back in the day. I love the Falcon we got, but I can see this working too.

That’s looking fantastic, excellent work!

thanks colinjreed...not much further to go till paint

This ship shouldn't be this cool looking! On paper, it's ridiculous. As a model, it is so damn awesome! I wonder what would've been had Joe Johnston made a maquette of the drawing to show George back in the day. I love the Falcon we got, but I can see this working too.

Thanks Hunk a Junk mate...really appreciate that,....I’d really like to make the landing gear down as an option...but I think I’ll probably just have her in flight

I’d love to see what they did back then...is a sketch as far as it went...thinking of painting her like the Falcon/Blockade Runner style from back then

Thanks guys

John

Those death star tile and Y-wing body parts look perfect for the engine greeblies (not sure where the original origin parts are from, I just recognize the assemblies from the use on other Star Wars stuff). Same with the other panzer tank parts etc used on the Falcon engine deck

It keeps a very consistent feel with the other stuff ILM did for the original movie.

Very unique build. Can't wait to see it painted up

.thinking of painting her like the Falcon/Blockade Runner style from back then

Something to consider. It seems the ILM guys took most of their painting and detailing cues during the production of ANH from three main sources: 2001, Silent Running, and Space:1999. When painting, maybe put yourself in the mindframe that Star Wars doesn't yet exist and you're getting inspiration from other recent productions (for the time) that are cool. Go back to the Colin Cantwell prototypes and see if there's some ideas you can pull from those.

Fantastic work! Love your attention to detail and love for this project. Great work so far.
Thanks DFC Props...it’s not often that I get through a project this quick without the distraction of work

Awesome work mate !

Thanks Ged mate

Those death star tile and Y-wing body parts look perfect for the engine greeblies (not sure where the original origin parts are from, I just recognize the assemblies from the use on other Star Wars stuff). Same with the other panzer tank parts etc used on the Falcon engine deck

It keeps a very consistent feel with the other stuff ILM did for the original movie.

Very unique build. Can't wait to see it painted up

Thank you Analyser...I mould a good lot of the Bandai stuff just for scratch projects like this

Something to consider. It seems the ILM guys took most of their painting and detailing cues during the production of ANH from three main sources: 2001, Silent Running, and Space:1999. When painting, maybe put yourself in the mindframe that Star Wars doesn't yet exist and you're getting inspiration from other recent productions (for the time) that are cool. Go back to the Colin Cantwell prototypes and see if there's some ideas you can pull from those.

Oh that sounds interesting,,,.mainly white/grey....I’ll see how it goes....OR...possibly take photos of it when the build is done & photoshop ideas

J

The detailing is spot on to 1976 ILM aesthetic. I cannot believe how good this is turning out. This ship could absolutely live in the galaxy far far away.

Thanks Hunk a Junk,....great comment, really thanks,....just the top side to finish,...then paint

J

Oh, I forgot to mention - for people like Jaitea in Northern Ireland and Hunk a Junk in (I think) the USA - Foamex is a UK brand name for foamed PVC. It's similar to Sintra in the USA.

I have the vague feeling that Sintra might be a bit more dense, but I could be wrong.

Oh, I forgot to mention - for people like Jaitea in Northern Ireland and Hunk a Junk in (I think) the USA - Foamex is a UK brand name for foamed PVC. It's similar to Sintra in the USA.

Thanks for the tip! Just looked it up on Amazon and they have plenty of options under "Sintra board." Will definitely pick some up. I also took the plunge a few days ago and ordered an Elegoo Mars resin 3D printer. Once I become proficient on some 3D modeling software (and I'm open to recommendations -- I'm currently dabbling on FreeCAD), I'm hoping to soon be printing replica versions of some of the familiar ILM donor kit shapes to follow in John's footsteps.

Wow Hunk a Junk....I just ordered an Elegoo Mars today also....how frigging freaky is that!!!

I use Cinema 4d in work so I just need to adjust things for printing

John

Wow Hunk a Junk....I just ordered an Elegoo Mars today also....how frigging freaky is that!!!

I use Cinema 4d in work so I just need to adjust things for printing

John

Sweet! Hopefully we can bounce ideas and troubleshooting off each other. Leaning the CAD programs is going to be a challenge for me I can already tell. Hopefully within a few months I'll be printing out parts for my Hasbro Falcon that's been waiting in the wings. I want to see how close I can get her to the 3-footer ILM version.

It just keeps getting better and better! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result, and when you do, do you think you could do some plan-view photographs? It would be fun to use this in my Star Wars RPG, and since we use Roll20 I could use a top view for maps and for starship combat. Could make a really great pirate ship!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back