Metropolis False Maria Sculpt: New Completed Torso 5/12/11

Re: Metropolis False Maria Sculpt: New front Torso/arm pics 3/10/10

For those who dont have FB.

DSCF5309-1.jpg

DSCF5311.jpg

Ill post some of the back asap.

Ive yet to add the airbrushed shading. This one will be a static statue. I learned a lot about how I want this to go together and the next will be the wearable version...stay tuned!!

Richie

She does look a bit busty to me, but then again Helm was built like a 14-year old boy. A most splendid job nevertheless !!!

It will never be perfect so to speak but I made the costume to fit the model I had available etc. To be honest it really is very atractive in person. I very much like the shape and the contours. Itll be much more evident how it looks when I have the costume assembled and simply not just peices. Im working to get all done. Im not going to make Wonderfest...thats disappointing but I do have some plans for a debut. If all works out Ill post pics of that.

Richie

The sculpt might be a little bustier than the real one but Helm wasn't built like a boy in the least.

metropolis-3-brigitte-helm-copy.jpg

Nick

Let's put it this way, Dolly Parton never felt threatened ... :angel

I think it's refreshing to see a woman with her natural breasts, rather than a pair of pneumatically enhanced hemispheres sticking out from her chest.

I hate to be critical but your rubs are really off in design and placement.

The actual ribs float out from the body by about half an inch or so. THey are also a bit thinner and longer and run in a more horizontal fashion.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ne5Lb2SiF...AAz1Q/UKeuN65hrp4/s1600/BTSmetropolis1big.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UzPeGrp654A/TFClYj1IFJI/AAAAAAAAAMo/rlOL3uMM5j4/s1600/metro-robot.png

I only bring it up because I think they are a really nice design element that I'd hate to see off.

Nick

I was wondering...

Stereoscopy. With stereo image analyze, like stereo shot from airplane, it's possible to determine the shape, the relief.
Why not develop a software that use photographs from diferente angles, to help capure the 3D shape of a given, model, object etc ?

Let's take the Metropolis Maria robot, for example. Most models for sale are far from very similar in shape. No original blueprint survived and the real model was destroyed in the WWII.

Maybe model in CGI helps, as someone can change little details, traces, and put the 3D model in diferente angles and compare with photographs from diferente angles.
But I believe a more direct thing could be possible.

You actually hit upon a good idea, but I doubt it will work.

Many scenes in Metropolis were shot with multiple cameras, sometimes mounted side-by-side. At one point there were three original negatives, only one has survived as scenes do vary between versions. But overall the quality of the copies and other problems make this a pretty hard game.

I'm still betting on trying to use a Police Box or a DeLorean and try to sneak in with a hidden 4K HD camera, short of nicking the original right before it gets destroyed.

The original câmera negative of the American version survived, and it was used mostly in the 2001 restoration.
There are other prints, like from the German version, and many portion survived in prints shot from the câmera negative in the 20's.
So, ood quality it's possible.

There is a lot footage of Metropolis. Indeed the câmeras by side helps more than a 3D câmera itself, cause the stereo effect it's more pronunciated as the câmeras obturators are more distant one to another.

You actually hit upon a good idea, but I doubt it will work.

Many scenes in Metropolis were shot with multiple cameras, sometimes mounted side-by-side. At one point there were three original negatives, only one has survived as scenes do vary between versions. But overall the quality of the copies and other problems make this a pretty hard game.

I'm still betting on trying to use a Police Box or a DeLorean and try to sneak in with a hidden 4K HD camera, short of nicking the original right before it gets destroyed.

How did you created the back portion of the robot? As far as I know there is no Picture of the back view angle. Only one shot (in the reconsructed version with 16mm found in Argentin) of the back showing the shoulders, since the robt was sit.

I dont know if this would be a help, but here is a 3D model of Maria I made a few moths back....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3826/11457240386_33199e1231_o.jpg
Maria by Tyler Ham, on Flickr

The back was just guess work, and I took inspiration from another sculpture I saw that had a back similar to this...

Ya, its pretty much a mystery.

Nobody really knows what the back looks like. The original Sculptor, Walter Schultze-Mittendorf had to ask for stills when he was asked to recreate his robot in the 1970's for the cinematheque in Paris, which is the closest to what the original's back might have looked like. Will post pics later as my first attempt went completely haywire.

Last edited:
Those are great! I am thinking of making a full scale in foam then resin coating it. I would love to be able to afford a full scale model, but you can't find them and if you do they cost thousands. Thanks for adding this.

Kropserkel, I saw your post on Facebook today. What ever became of your 1:1 replica? Would love just to have the face. It looks outstanding.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back