Metro 2033/Last Light ranger cosplay (first time costume design/builder)

arenTheFox

Okay, so as the title suggests, I'm trying to build a cosplay outfit for a Polis ranger from the Metro video game series.
This is my first time building any kind of costume, and I think I may have gotten too far ahead of myself or was too ambitious.
The part of the cosplay that seems to be the most difficult - and the part I decided was best to do first - is the helmet, which is pictured in the spoiler tag below.
YLw2N50.jpg
MetroLL-2013-05-19-11-21-17-60.jpg
2013-05-09_00005.jpg
Now, the helmet features the ability to open and lift the entire face, which personally, would sound like a major obstacle. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to score a snowmobile helmet off a family member that does just that. It's pictured below under the spoiler tag.
20140310_025216_zps103ae64b.jpg20140310_025226_zpsdf11db9b.jpg9fa7d7a8-eff1-4eb4-a66e-9be303d7ea03_zpsfed9c8fc.jpg20140310_025331_zps2125aba5.jpg

My plan here is likely pretty obvious; make this helmet into the ranger one by building the features of the ranger one onto the outside of the existing snowmobile one. The visor on my helmet opens up as well, but that's irrelevant as I don't plan to keep that capability once it's turned into the ranger one.

Basically, I would like some help determining what materials to use to build the outside of the helmet, how to keep the outside from coming off the base, and keep the helmet's ability to open up the face, as pictured above.

Personally I think your snow mobile helmet is a touch too big to build stuff around it, that Metro one looks like you could just do a quick fibreglass mould over a bowl and mod a respirator as it looks more like an open faced helmet.

Anyway, if you want to go the other route, epoxy glue is good for sticking hard plastics together, maybe incorporate a bit of pepakura for some of the details or foam, tends to be a safe bet.

Yeah, I had thought it might be a little large as well, but the reason I thought of using it is that it fits my head perfectly, though building an entire helmet may actually be more practical when going to conventions in either late spring or any point in the summer.

Hmm... Just a thought; would an open-face helmet or one of those round bicycle helmets work a little better?

Maybe, cause that rubbery breather/goggles combo looks like it's just pinned to the helmet as an add on kinda thing see if you can get some more reference from sides etc, just run round the character taking screen shots :)

looks something like this:
http://www.bikersparadise.co.uk/ProdImages/motorbike-helmet-ls2-of583-bobber-black-xlarge.png

But reference is key for accuracy!

The rest of the face bit looks like a balaclava, pair of goggles and some fancy respirator that could be bodged together somehow XD

Yeah, I can see it, and that helmet you linked is perfect. I'll have to find a cheap open-face helmet like that. Not sure what to build the face out of though... I can fasten it to the helmet with rivets, and likely use foam or something to cover the helm with for those added pieces on the sides (pic below).
Metro_2033___Artyom_by_TheDarkFox778.jpg

The respirator piece I can likely build using an actual respirator, and using the filter-holders on it for the little spots on the front of the helmet face, and the goggles using ski goggles and foam.

So now the question remains what do I make the part of the face that holds the visor and goggles out of, and how do I go about attaching the rest of the pieces?

Lol, running around one of the characters that wear this and taking screenshots isn't a bad idea =P I tried to do that, but most of this game is so dark that dimensions and details can be easily hidden by the mass amounts of shadows.

So now the question remains what do I make the part of the face that holds the visor and goggles out of, and how do I go about attaching the rest of the pieces?

Lol, running around one of the characters that wear this and taking screenshots isn't a bad idea =P I tried to do that, but most of this game is so dark that dimensions and details can be easily hidden by the mass amounts of shadows.

Up the gamma in the options XD

as for the rest have a think, do some sketches and the like and plan the next step, I'd just use 5 or 10mm eva foam to make the respirator/goggle mount, just cut some holes in it and put some mesh for those circle bits (obviously with a bit more finesse, I'm being intentionally vague XD), you can probably get a pair of cheap safety goggles like the ones you used in school for chemistry lessons and trim them with some 2mm craft foam to add any details. Do a few experiments!

Personally I wouldn't bother with buying a helmet it detracts from the fun of the hobby, and a takes a massive chunk out of the budget :)

Lol, true. The gamma setting in Metro Last Light - the only one I own - is a little weird though. It horribly saturates everything to the point it looks like you're looking through a fruit-rollup instead of just making things brighter. XD Will have to see how it works in an area that's actually fairly well lit up though.

Would it be okay to rivet the foam to the helm, or would I need to build that part first, then put foam over top and around the rest of the face plate?
Yeah, goggles aren't usually too expensive, and neither are the respirators, since all I need is a cheap half-mask.

Yeah, budget is important, and you're totally right; half the fun of making a costume is actually building it.

I'd build the whole front piece then attach it. just fake the rivets and do it with velcro or something, you don't want it permanently attached, 'specially if you want to drink or anything XD

I'd build the whole front piece then attach it. just fake the rivets and do it with velcro or something, you don't want it permanently attached, 'specially if you want to drink or anything XD

Well, the idea is to have it riveted at the top so I can still lift the visor up, not have it connected at the bottom as well; that defeats the purpose of the whole concept =P

Managed to find a helm I can use as a base for $60 (CAN). Little steep in my opinion, but for something in the condition it's in from a pawn shop, and being an open-face with a clear, face-shielding visor, I'd say it's worth it. Has the crucial function required, I can cut up the visor to fit the respirator, AND still a better price for any new helm I could have used for a base.

If you're a bit disheartened at making it you can always head out and grab a PPM-88 gask mask by itself or paired with a helmet that either resembles or is from the WWII era and it'd still be accurate.

If you're a bit disheartened at making it you can always head out and grab a PPM-88 gask mask by itself or paired with a helmet that either resembles or is from the WWII era and it'd still be accurate.

Not a bad idea, actually. Still going to make the helmet, though now I at least have a better idea of what type of gas mask to get for the face, thanks!
Any idea what they're usually sold for?

Sub'd
Been thinking of making this helmet a long time, but never knew where to start myself. This was my plan after looking at air-soft forums of people who have produced K6-3 replicas(the other helmet the rangers use).

-I highly recommend you use an M10 or M17 gas mask for the visor and do some alterations, since it appears to be rubber it wont be difficult.
-Cut the eyes and make it one single lens.
-Back the entire mask with something solid(thin storage tub plastic?), also extend the visor to attach to a helmet, since the ranger visor doesn't seal to the face.
-Helmet wise I recommend a cheap scooter helmet, though that may also sit too high on the head, best choice may be to make your own.
-Make those vents on the sides of the ranger helmet that wrap around the back of the head.
-Attach visor and you're good to go.

In terms of outfit are you going for Artyom's NBC suit? or ranger BDU's? If BDU's just dark blue mechanics overalls will do. The alternative camo color is some kind of urban/arctic. Although the ranger blues do just look cooler, SWAT/ESU/BSO-ish. If the NBC suit, not sure how to help you there, I didn't feel it was iconic enough to warrant a costume unless I was making an Anna costume.

http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Gas_Mask
http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rangers_of_the_Order

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back