MEN IN BLACK TRI-BARREL - DONE WITH PICS!!!!!

Well, tragedy has struck (I'm being dramatic lol). I got all the parts today, and while most look great, the plating has caused the parts not to want to fit. Trying to think of options of how to proceed from here. Sad day. If there was some safe way to strip the plating from the areas that don't fit, that would be easiest, but other than that I think only a Dremel/sanding will be able to do the trick.

Sorry to hear that, I've had that problem before myself. Hopefully you can remove the plating in mating areas without too much damage. Good luck, this is a great project!!!

Alien and dome are in the hiz-ouse!

0BF18764-D907-4B7D-A099-9E07C9758D35.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool Dome! Is that custom, or is it a found item?
Hey bud! It's all custom. Was 3D modeled to fit the gun and the alien was sculpted and painted as a 3D model and then printed in color. I had no idea that the translucent pieces would look as good as they do, either. Super happy with how it turned out!

Rusty85

After a long wait for the post office to deliver the rest of the parts..........

.......it seems like the plating process likes to make 3d printing swell. Stocks butt wouldn't sit flat on it. Had to do some grinding on the butt and then find a way to put the pattern on it so i laid some burlap on it and epoxied it on. It definitely gives it the right look compared to the prop. Should look pretty good once painted black. Ill probably give it another coat of epoxy at some point.

MgXGkGQ.jpg

duDIoYb.jpg

ZHJFcnZ.jpg

QMBHFif.jpg

DHmoJva.jpg

Resin part replaced with the correct found part mounted on an aluminum base.

5dYZJ4p.jpg

UlSU2Cc.jpg

....replaced these printed parts with the real TORO bubbler parts. The half round part was replaced with some aluminum sheet behind the "vents" on the shell. Also sanded the knob down to fit in the shells.

AA2ZYIv.jpg

X1W6Rha.jpg

R6In48A.jpg

YVZW1sj.jpg

I sanded the knob down to close to its final height. I have to make an aluminum base for the knob to sit on like the original prop. There is no way to make it fit without compromising the shell chrome and clearancing the knob would be visible. Cutting the bottom off and making a base is the best route. Dont think i have any solid aluminum this big so i hope i have some tube....if not i will have to order a piece to chuck in the lathe.

2O1IFaU.jpg

Rusty, here are the eggs and the paint bubbles from the water that somehow ended up it the part bags. In the end no biggie because the push button things that go in them need to be remade in aluminum and shafts are much thinner on the prop so the holes will need to be mostly filled in anyways. I think i had a TV in the 70's that had knobs like these...lol...either way they should be shaped closer to the little bullet pushy things on the Pulsar.

kchTbCL.jpg

These parts i need to remake in aluminum. 2 pieces (bottom and right) go on either side of the toothed gear piece. The little detail (top) goes above the little sliding switches and the "trigger" ridged knob i need to make but i may need to get some tools for my mill to do it and one just like it that goes on the shell.

GQ5bcaL.jpg

....and found a much brighter LED for the top tube. WAY better than the first try.

eWpei1G.jpg

That's looking fantastic man! I'm surprised the real Toro part fit in there, it looks so much bigger I figured there was no way! Still strange about those egg things, they were fine for the weeks they were here in the bag, I guess being air-sealed drew water out of the prints or something? At any rate, thanks again man, it's looking damn good!

Rusty85

Just a small update. Remade the egg pushy things, the little detail piece, the "gear" knob and spacer. Also made the knurled "captive screws" and i trimmed the chrome knob down and have the spacer started. Just have to machine to length and then sand smooth and repolish. Lastly grooved some aluminum to make the "trigger" and the upper detail piece. They now need to be machined to length and i need to make the cores to hold them. I gave the stock butt another coat of epoxy but its drying so no pics.

some shots before and after polishing.

kpAxq25.jpg

gpMAkv7.jpg

D5ODcXB.jpg

SgMITEw.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back