Men in Black MIB Pulsar project

Mag body master mostly machined. I will need to epoxy it up, sand and smooth it. I need to make the side U shaped pieces and aluminum bottom piece which i hope to try to tackle tomorrow. I made all the bullet rear ends. They will need another sanding and polishing to clean them up and i need to drill and tap the back sides. Next up will also be the bullet fronts that are a bit bigger and shaped different from the rear. They also have a panel indicator lens in the center. These mags have alot of parts. I still need to figure out the bullet center pieces. There are 20 per mag!

mag10.jpg
mag11.jpg
mag9.jpg

......glad these are done. I started with one plan and after a day of work realized it was not the best way. First plan was to make the bullet body pieces out of multiple pieces but after spending a day making 125 centers with 125 sleeves still to go and then cut each sleeve into 6 of the little squares which then would need to get glued to the centers...all 750 of them i needed a new plan. So i machined them in one piece. Still took a bunch of work but there was no easy way to do it. I really didnt want to mold and cast them. I need to glue the "cores" to the sleeves and then ill do one more step on the lathe to deepen the grooves separating each "wheel"

Here is the failed attempt.....

mag12.jpg
mag13.jpg
mag14.jpg

....and the final attempt....

mag15.jpg
mag16.jpg
mag17.jpg

and this is where we are trying to go..... next I need to make the dividers that go between the bullets, the front aluminum bullet tips....waiting for aluminum for them......and the U shaped trim that goes on the side of the mags.

DSC08980m.JPG

Last edited:
Simply incredible! Can not wait to see how these turn out. Amazing what you’ve come up with, with next to no reference pictures.

IDk everything is a challenge first time around !! If i had to pick one probably the wing of this RC Piper Cub. That was a challenge for sure.

pipercub1.jpg
pipercub2.jpg

...this is the prototype for the magazine side U pieces. It came out right but i need to change the process to make it come out cleaner. I was going to use this as a master and then mold and cast more but im just going to order some black 3/8" acrylic sheet and machine them all. More work (arguable actually) but less money and hassle. I have bad luck with black resins and its the cost of silicone and resin compared to a sheet of acrylic and a day or 2 machining, ill just do the work. Next ill do the aluminum inserts that go in front and in back of the frame below the bullet tips and ends.

IMG_20210105_173825950.jpg
IMG_20210105_174143694.jpg
IMG_20210105_174402140.jpg

The mag body itself is chromed. I think the bullet cores may have been chromed then painted black. I have a plan for those. The bottom half round with the slots on the mag body i cant determine whether it was a separate polished aluminum piece or if it was part of the mag body then chromed.
DSC08983m.JPG
DSC08991m.JPG
DSC09194m.JPG

From your second image it looks like the bottom half round with the slots on the mag body, is part of the mag body to me but that's just my 2 cents worth.

Ya im going to make one out of aluminum and then mold it all as one piece. I have some 1-1/2" alum tube on order along with some black acrylic for the side U's and Some 1-1/8" solid alum for the bullet tips.

Today i got the bullet center sections all glued together and final machining of them done. Came out better then i thought. I also trimmed the mag frame. The front and back edges needed trimming since i left them oversized. The bottom needed some trimming too. Its pretty much where it needs to be. Ill give it a coat of epoxy and a sanding and wait for the rest of the material to come in. When i get back on monday ill tackle the aluminum trim and make some little aluminum bullet things that go on the back left side of the shells. I also want to get all the side parts fitted to the shells next week.

IMG_20210106_174349632.jpg
IMG_20210106_174626894.jpg

Got the front bullet ends done and machined the rears to final size. also the plates that go behind the ends. They need to be sanded and polished. Ill trim the bottoms of them when i have the bottom part of the mag finished. I also cut all the side U piece blanks out of acrylic but i am going to wait to machine them until i get the mag bodies back from the chromers. Im not sure how thick the chrome will be and these have to be done right the first time. Going back to trim them is not really feasible so its on hold until the body is done. Next up is the bullet seperating pieces also i need to make something to hold the very top bullets in place and the bottom of the body.
mag18.jpg
mag19.jpg
mag20.jpg
mag21.jpg
mag22.jpg
mag23.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back