Meeting Your Hollywood Heroes - What did you say?

Monster Dave

Sr Member
So here's the deal, this weekend is the Phoenix Comicon and the first one that we're going to attend. I've not met that many celebrities, but the one time I did, I nearly got tongue-tied. Those in attendance this weekend include (but not limited to):

Brent Spiner
Casper Van Dien
Colin Ferguson
Debrah Farentino
Dina Meyer
Jeremy Bulloch (yep, the Fett will be there!!)
Levar Burton (Mr Reading Rainbow himself!!!)
Lou Ferrigno (the freak'n HULK!!!)
Marina Sirtis
Michael Dorn
Will Wheaton

and of course

The Shat!

I've purchased a group picture with the cast of TNG who I've wanted to meet for nearly 25 years but have NO CLUE what to say to them when I meet them for the first time. I've got no problem with the other people, but I don't want to seem like some blubbering idiot when it's my turn!!

So this got me thinking - what did you guys say to your heroes the first time you met them??

I've done fine meeting my favorite actors... until I met Edward James Olmos. I went completely stupid on that one. I'm not even 100% certain what I said, but I think I told him that I love his work.

I just couldn't help it. I adore the man and his performances so much that seeing him there, being so kind and gracious... I just folded. It's the first time I've had that happen in the 6 years I've been volunteering with ECCC. :facepalm

Out of the list you've provided, I've bantered with Brent and worked with Wil. They're both amazing to the fans (though Brent has a VERY dry sense of humor so don't be offended if he seems to be being snarky).

My fiancee was witness to me getting all tongue tied and star-struck when we met Lewis Black a few years back. She still teases me about it today!!

I'm hopeful that the photo-op isn't too terribly rushed. I really want to shake each of their hands and say words that make sense!!!! LOL!! Once I went to a book signing by Lance Armstrong and barely had time to shake his hand before his people pushed me along which didn't make for that great of an experience after waiting for nearly 3 hours.

I didn't recognize Edward James Olmos until I looked him up - holy crap! You met Mr Escalante from Stand and Deliver!! That man could do some math!!! LOL!! That's awesome!

I almost never have anything clever to say. They have heard it all so even trying to be original seems pointless. Just be yourself and hopefully they appreciate that.

I did pull of a LITTLE bit of originality with Billy West a month ago...but it didn't work out. Having a kid with you always takes the attention and edge off a bit as celebs seem to always talk with kiddos. When we met Billy I told my son to tell him what we had for breakfast. Perhaps my son and I should have rehearsed it because my son got shy and didn't say a word. Billy West looked at me wondering what the heck I was talking about so I asked him if he was still the voice of the Honey Nut Cheerios bee. He explained that he hadn't done the voice in years but they still used his recordings and he got a check from them occasionally. He then saw where I was going with it and said, "Ok take 2!", but by then my son was shy and hiding behind me. Billy signed my Ren & Stimpy shirt (I didn't bring anything to sign as I thought everyone would have pictures to sign). As I thanked him and left I realized I shook his hand THREE times. What can I say..I was excited to meet him. :p

But yeah, meeting Leonard Nimoy or Stan Lee..just a quick hello and thank you was all we had time for. Margot Kidder was loving my friend's son who went with me and chatted our ears off...I felt bad for the people in line behind us.

Ferrigno didn't say anything to me but did pose for a picture. I didn't know how his hearing was so I didn't really try to talk to him.

I was very sad I didn't have time to meet Wheaton because the Stan Lee autograph line took..FOUR lines and my son had to wait 5 1/2 hours...so I just met Billy West and John Dimaggio after that. If you want something to tell Wil Wheaton..tell him I'm very disappointed I didn't get to meet him! Just kidding..he seems very nice. Wish I had time to see him too. Stand By Me is a favorite of mine..as well as Star Trek and the Big Bang Theory.

Last edited:
If the lines are long you'll barely get to say anything because you'll be moved along quickly. If not so long, you'll still probably get in only a few brief sentences. Plan something short and something medium.

Careful with Ferrigno, he's not always so pleasant. Depends on how you catch him. Bulloch is the sweetest guy imaginable.

Have a blast!

I didn't recognize Edward James Olmos until I looked him up - holy crap! You met Mr Escalante from Stand and Deliver!! That man could do some math!!! LOL!! That's awesome!

I know, right?! He's such a sweet man, I really wish I could've had an opportunity to talk to him outside of getting a photo signed with him (as a volunteer I can USUALLY swing this), but the con was just way too crazy to make that happen, unfortunately.

Really though, I'm curious - what did some of you actually say to your Hollywood heroes the first time you met them??

Generally speaking, I find that if you approach them like you would any other person, you'll get the best result. A word of warning, though, if you go through Shatner's line, don't expect to get a chance to say more than hello. He has such insane lines that in order to make sure everyone gets a signature, the managers and such really keep things moving along at a rapid clip.

I'd advise that rather than trying to be clever, just be honest and tell them that you like their work. With guys like Brent, if you can find something that not everyone knows about (like his music cds, for example) and reference that, you might get a better interaction. Sometimes people get so inundated with hearing about certain roles (such as Data for Brent) that it's nice to hear when people acknowledge you've done other awesome stuff. :)

I recently met Michael Biehn, and was incredibly nervous when I approached him. I had heard from others that he could be a bit rude, so I wasn't sure of what to expect. He was actually a pretty great guy. First I of course told him I was a huge fan, that Aliens and The Abyss were two of my favorite films, and that Johnny Ringo was one of my all time favorite movie characters. He laughed and thanked me, then I told him I had read about his film The Victim, which he wrote and directed, and asked if he knew when it was releasing on DVD/Blu-ray. He seemed pretty appreciative of the fact that I was asking him about it, and we talked about how being behind the camera for a change differed from being in front of it. Last thing I asked him was if he and Bill Paxton would ever work together again, to which he replied, "I sure hope so, he's a dear friend."

If I were you, I'd just try to keep in mind that while these people are celebrities, they're still people, just like you and me. You'll most likely get the best result with a real, down to earth conversation, like you would have with anyone else. Most celebrities get uncomfortable if you run up and start praising them like a crazy person.

Last edited:
Well...

For KC of KC and the Sunshine Band, I can't remember what I said. But I got a T-shirt autographed and a picture with him. The shirt is still hanging up in my closet, unworn (like I'm ever going to).

For Stephen King, I told him I enjoyed reading his work and enjoyed the short story he read, Memory, for Seven Days of Opening Nights. In fact, that notice on the Wikipedia about when he first read it in public was from me.

At MegaCon 2009, for Luciana Carro, I actually told her I enjoyed her performance as Kat and I felt that she definitely added to the Starbuck/Kat dichotomy.

At MegaCon 2010, for Lea Thompson, I asked a couple of questions during a BTTF panel, one about John Hughes and one about any advice she could give to someone going into the film industry for the first time. When she was leaving the room, she turned to me and told me, "You've asked two really good questions." She repeated the statement when I went to get her autograph.

I also talked with Nichelle Nichols when I was getting her autograph for my dad. We did discuss the new Trek film, and I did state that the woman who played Uhura in the film, though a good actress, still had pretty big shoes to fill (and that was my point of view and I could very well be wrong). She did express she thought the woman did a good job so far.

Ran into Lloyd Kaufman outside the convention, chatted with him a bit as we were walking about film school. He offered to get a photograph with me (which I totally went for).

For the Ultimate Horror Weekend 2010, I met John Carpenter. I asked him that since he got into film because he wanted to do a western, if there was ever a possibility we may get to see a John Carpenter Western eventually during a panel. I got his autograph, told him about how I grew up on his films and thanked him on the behalf of me and my father for making The Thing and told him, "I can't tell you how many times my Dad and I watched that movie with the lights off, the A/C at full blast and a bowl of popcorn when I was growing up." And I thanked him for his time.

Megacon 2011, spoke with Cindy Morgan and got her autograph, told her about how I grew up with TRON, how I liked that they brought Lora back for the Encom Press Conference and how I hope that they bring Yori (or at least a film version of Ma3a) back in the next film. She actually recounted the story about her first day going into doing the recording of the audio for Ma3a from the game, which was pretty interesting to hear. She directed me to the Yori Lives Facebook page by writing the address down on the back of the picture.

For May-Hem, got to meet Bruce Campbell and got his autograph. He asked me what my story was, I told him that I had the chance to meet him at Florida State University but wasn't able to do so due to a family emergency. I told him I enjoyed his performances throughout the years and that he was doing a great job as Sam Max on Burn Notice.

DragonCon 2011. I met Edward James Olmos. When he asked me my name for my autograph, I said, "My name is Daniel, and yes, I'm the missing Cylon", which made him chuckle (he even included the joke on the autographed picture). I told him about how much I enjoyed his performances and how I felt he brought a human face to Adama, whereas normally a character like him would have been portrayed as a hardened man from start to finish, and then I asked him any advice he could give as a director to someone going into the director's chair for the first time. The best advice he gave me was this: "Always put the camera where the story is. Most people do the generic two-shot, over the shoulder, over the shoulder stuff. Get your camera in there." And I definitely understand that.

Also met Christopher Lloyd, told him about how much I enjoyed his performances and asked the same question. He explained that the important thing a director should remember is to keep an open dialogue and not to limit the possibility of a performance, that actors may have ideas that could be useful to their role.

Megacon 2012- Saw Cindy again, said hello to her. She barely remembered me from the previous year, but recognized my name through the Yori Lives Facebook page. Met Bruce Boxleitner, told him about how I grew up on TRON and how awesome it was to see Alan and TRON in T:L, and how I hoped that they'd include more of Alan and TRON in the next film.

I know, really fanboyish, eh?

If the lines are long you'll barely get to say anything because you'll be moved along quickly. If not so long, you'll still probably get in only a few short sentences. Plan something quick and something medium. Maybe find something different that they've done than their big thing. These guys must get tired of answering the same questions, etc.

Careful with Ferrigno, he's not always so pleasant. Depends on how you catch him. Bulloch is the sweetest guy imaginable.

this just happened to me last night.

I met Rick Baker at the Men in Black cast party in NY and i brought some of my artwork i did from the movies to have them signed. I thanked him for his work and told him i love Monsters and aliens so much that its one of the things that i love to draw. I showed him my poster and he spent a nice amount of time looking it over, he was over joyed that I had drawn so many of his lovable creatures from the first film and said my artwork was amazing.

and then i had a nergasm and started stuttering hahahha. i thanked him like 4 times over and over and his daughters were giggling at my nerdyness haha. he really liked the art and it was one of the greatest compliments i've ever gotten on my stuff. he is a legend and i was so nervous haha.

2v96lcl.jpg

I haven't met any famous actors, but I did get to meet Mick Jones of The Clash and he signed my "Train in Vain" 10" vinyl. I told him it was one of my favorite Clash songs, I don't think I got much else out. Definitely a bit star struck.

They say never meet your heros.

Fortunately, "they" are frequently wrong. ;)

I say if you want to meet them, go for it. Just don't expect them to be more than human.

Also, as a writer and creator of heroes, Stan Lee is a BFD to me and I'm happy to say that you'll never meet a kinder, more generous man than Stan. Even with his handlers trying to push people through the line as fast as they can, he loves hearing the fans' stories.

Brent Spiner
Casper Van Dien
Colin Ferguson
Debrah Farentino
Dina Meyer
Jeremy Bulloch (yep, the Fett will be there!!)
Levar Burton (Mr Reading Rainbow himself!!!)
Lou Ferrigno (the freak'n HULK!!!)
Marina Sirtis
Michael Dorn
Will Wheaton

and of course

The Shat!

From your list, I met the Star Trek TNG crew (all of them, even the ones not listed) a few weeks ago here in Calgary. They are all nice, but get ready to chat it up with Brent and Marina - they talked the most. Marina still looks good.:love I didn't ask any of them stupid questions about Star Trek. The only thing I asked Brent Star Trek-related was about the upcoming Blu-Ray release of season 1 and if he's seen any of the conversion yet. These are just regular people. If you talk about regular things, they appreciate that. It's like when I talked with Aaron Douglas from BSG, he's from BC like me so we chatted about our home province, fishing, and hockey!:cool And most importantly, thank them for coming to the con! :cool

ive met a bunch at dcon , the list is long mostly just bumped into them in the elevator or stairways , and of couse 1/2 to 3/4 drunk , so im not sure what i said , but its was cool anyway , i met and got a pic with micheal beihn as well , my all time favorite 80s actor . he was nice at the time , and i met and got carrie fishers auto last year she was sweet , all i could think of to say was i loved her hbo commedy special , if i would have said any more ,my wife would have slapped me ........... lol ... The all time coolest celeb i have met has to be lance hendrickson super nice guy , just really interested in all of his fans . doug jones close second .

TNG crew (minus Stewart). Spiner is really nice and very talkative.

Sonny Shroyer is a friend of our family and is a super nice guy.

Rick Flair (Whoooooo!)
Kevin Sulivan
Lou Ferrigno
Arnold Schwarzenegger

A few others from cons. I guess my favorite has been Spiner.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back