Mau5 Head Build **Finished**

LazyT747

I've been on this forum so much lately looking for info/advice for my Deadmau5 head build that I figured hey, why not make a thread for it.

A big thank you to everyone that has helped me this far on the mau5 head. Many people would not have given the time of day to a new member like myself asking questions and looking for advice for this project. Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

On to the build! As stated above, I'm working on a Deadmau5 head for his upcoming concert this month (and of course Halloween). I started off with the basic 14" globe and began the project months ago, but I have finally found more time to actually get rolling on it.

The plan for the head:
Black velvet head and ears
Red eyes with black X's
Red mouth
Orange neon running along the ears as well as glowing the mouth (kinda Halloween themed)

Here are some past pics as well as where I am now:

All measured out

5ad218e5.jpg

After the mouth cut with the ears I was unhappy with

12c51d30.jpg

Unfortunately the corner of the mouth cracked when cutting it

5f9dbadb.jpg

And here are the most recent with new eps foam ears I cut out tonight (don't mind the pantyhose, they were too small so I had to cut them. Going to get new ones tomorrow).

c1b5de22.jpg

9df20e9c.jpg

464f7fc1.jpg

b7834ead.jpg

58f93353.jpg

I have a new globe coming in the mail this week although I think the crack can be fixed and reinforced. We will see how it goes. I will keep this thread updated as the project continues!

Last edited:
Re: Mau5 Head Build

Also, the EL-Wire neon came in yesterday. It's orange when it's off but kind of green when glowing. It should still look cool regardless. I might try to find some different wire that is more of an orange glow, but I want to see what this will look like first.

e0622586.jpg

As far as the crack in the globe, I would just tell you to duck tape it. You are going to be putting fabric over it anyway.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the diameter of the circle you used to trace the ears out?

Kind of a shame about the EL wire. That stuff's expensive. But it's gonna look super awesome no matter what, if these pictures are anything to go by.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I will have more progress by tonight.

For the diameter I actually used venturimyth's picture that he posted in the other Deadmau5 thread and blew it up to a ~13inch width in photoshop. I trimmed it into 4 segments, printed it out, then assembled the pages together. I took a piece of thick poster board and made a template out of it using the print outs. It was fairly easy.

I was able to work on it a bit today. The ears are just about finished. They are all mounted, just waiting to be wrapped in velvet. I had a little trouble figuring out the angle to set them at considering some are slanted back and some are forward. I ended up going with just about 90 degrees. It just seemed to look better this way. Also, I went about 4.5" in between the ears instead of 3.5". Every one of his heads are different so it looks like more personal opinion than anything.

I also messed around a bit with the eyes trying to measure the placement of where they will sit on the head. I like where they are so far.

ea1f8505.jpg

8288953b.jpg

de320d61.jpg

Hopefully I can do the reinforcements next as well as the lips.

I was kind of disappointed with the EL-wire that came in the mail. The stuff looked really cheap as well as not lighting the color I wanted nor was it entirely bright.

I ended up ordering 10 ft of red EL-wire from Funhouse Productions. 5 mm thick, equalizer driver, and I even bumped the power up and grabbed the 8 AA battery extension. The guy told me on the phone it should be extremely bright. I hope so. Looking forward to getting it in the mail.

Thanks!

I just had a chance to work on it a little bit in between classes here. I am now working on the placement of the eyes. If you look on the diagram Zimmerman put out, it shows that the eyes are 2 inches from the upper lip and 5 inches apart for one another. I tried to rearrange the eyes to these specs and it just doesn't seem to look right. All of the images I find of his mau5 heads have a descent space between the eyes but also many of them have flatter eyes. I marked measurements on some tape and started to lay it out to see which one fits best (although it is kind of difficult to tell when the head is not wrapped).

5" apart

cc978e6b.jpg

7c69e0c1.jpg

f8fffb7e.jpg

4"

917de004.jpg

389f50b5.jpg

d1cd65dc.jpg

I'm leaning towards 4.5" being the happy median. It's funny, in person it looks really weird with 5 inches in between the eyes and 4 inches seems normal but in picture its like the opposite!

I am going to try and wrap the ears tonight as well as maybe start spraying the eyes. I've been up since 3:30 AM doing an assignment and have to leave for another class in a few so I may not have the time or energy.

This is looking really good! Also Lazy, Do you think this is similar to yours? And also was it easy to stretch when you tried? Stretch Velvet-MANY COLORS*: special occasion fabric*: apparel fabric*: fabric*: Shop | Joann.com

That looks like its the stuff. It is a very stretchy material but the only thing I've tried it on were the ears so far and that was just a test fit (didn't sew them yet). I am going to sew the ears tomorrow instead of tonight and I am hoping to wrap the head next week sometime if all goes well. If you wait until then I can let you know how it worked.

Okay. Thank you :)

Edit: Could you test this fabric for me? I need to make sure the LEDs will shine through. Could you just like.. Put it under a light or something and tell me if it shines through okay.

Last edited:

Thank you :))) I'll just wait for you to do the head and i'll see how it looks. But again thank you for doing this :) Now i gotta try find a 16" globe in the UK :/

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back