Mau5 Head Build **Finished**

Re: Mau5 Head Build

Lazy, How big is your head? I've found a 13" Hamster ball (Lol must be 1 biiig hamster) But i'm not too sure if that's big enough

I really don't think 13" would be enough for your build. I have another 14" coming in the mail today. If I do not use it I could probably sell it to you. I'd consider going 15-16" for your project though considering the amount of electronics your helmet will need to contain.

Update time. I grabbed some MDF and got busy with a circle router to make the lips the other day. After cutting them out, today I went and grabbed some contact cement and started with the gluing. That was a bit of a pain considering it kept drying on me while i was working my way through each lip. All done now (for the most part) and letting it dry.

Bottom lip on:

40c2cbbd.jpg

Lip ringz mau5 head:

7c3a4f45.jpg

I was able to put a reinforce the inside of the lips today with a bead of adhesive, fill the crack, and start sanding. I also cut the holes for the eyes as well.

7695327a.jpg

1b9da559.jpg

I sprayed a coat of paint on it so that the light from the mouth/eyes/neons would not shine through the velvet cloth.

4a265727.jpg

c53524e4.jpg

6ed989bb.jpg

I had to touch up the filler on the corner of the mouth after I painted it because it did not turn out as well as I wanted it. I am hoping to have it all sanded and ready for wrapping tomorrow by tonight.

Finally had a chance to finish stitching together the fabric and wrap the head. Hoping to wire the neon wire and get some of the mouth done tomorrow.

I really like the way it is turning out:

e536a945.jpg

falconNL - The wrapping was definitely as much of a pain as everyone typically says it is. I am pretty happy with it but I think my next one will be flocked. It would just make it easier. If you decide to wrap yours, patience will help a ton. If you need any more info feel free to PM me.

Attached the neon wire to the ears last night.

76a247fd.jpg

Working on the mouth now. I tried mesh, it sucked. I tried the mouth from my next mau5 head, it worked OK but it gets hot as hell in there even with breather holes. I am going to try to find some material like that off of mau5 5 ball head. It just needs to be strong. Any ideas?

hey man! loving the black orange look! gunna look great on halloween!
im buying materials to start mine now. i was worried about it getting hot, so im buying laptop fans and putting in the back of mine. not sure what you could do since youve already covered it. also for my mouth im gunna use a round drainer made out of metal mesh and just put some see through fabric over it. just some ideas. :)

hey man! loving the black orange look! gunna look great on halloween!
im buying materials to start mine now. i was worried about it getting hot, so im buying laptop fans and putting in the back of mine. not sure what you could do since youve already covered it. also for my mouth im gunna use a round drainer made out of metal mesh and just put some see through fabric over it. just some ideas. :)

I thought about the whole fan idea. I am just going to do that for the second one. The mouth is by far the most difficult part I've come across just because it needs to be the same shape as the head in order to work. I saw on another thread that someone used a 14" mesh food cover for theirs but they do not sell them anywhere around me. Right now I am working with a plastic cut out with more holes for ventilation, different fabrics, and screen door material. I am hoping to make something work from this or find something new to use. What kind of round drainer are you planning on using?

Thats a great looking head! Black seems to hide the seams really nice. Did you stretch your fabric or just stick slices together and over layed theym? I make my mouths out of 1/2" lumber cloth. They turn out really nice.

I stretched the fabric around the mouth and any other openings on the head, then stitched them together around the ear line.

I finished it up just in time for Glowfest, but unfortunately the outdoor event was cancelled. It was moved to a bar but it was 21 and older and I wanted to go with my brother who is not of age yet, therefore I didn't go.

Anyway, here are some pics of it all finished up (for now). Thanks again for all of those who helped me out. Advice to those taking on the challenge of building one: be patient and take gratitude in your hard work and effort put forth. Your work is your art.

Cheers.

396ebc3c.jpg

eaf5214d.jpg

fa25fb0c.jpg

DSC00569-1.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back