Matt Smith shows off his pic of Manofsteel's cosplaying Doctors !! Too funny

I heard she spent some time in England as a kid before coming to the US and she switches between both accents, but I'm not sure.

^ Christian Bale does/did something similar. It's all about appearances, if I recall him saying during the filming of Batman Begins. He didn't want to give the idea of Batman being English or something of that sort.

Wait a minute, you mean she does a american accent while in the U.S.:confused Burn her at the stake!

To clear up any confusion, I heard from my cousin that she was born in the US, but moved to the UK when she was 11. THEN uses a American accent when she's in the states and was in the sex pistols at some point?

I personally have found that when ever you're around a group of people with a different accent you tend to pick it up even with out noticing it, and then when you go home, you have it for a while until your friends basically tease it out of you.

I had a southern accent as a kid, very strong, mainly picked up from my father. I purposefully worked on my accent to get rid of it, based on my mother's midwest accent and TV shows I watched lol. As I got into higher levels of school in Florida and around a larger group of people it was easy to keep it away.

Working in customer service in my home town in North Florida, people would ask me all the time where I was from because I didnt have the right accent (guesses being Canada, Pittsburg, Denver (close, mother is from there). Moving to Nashville I find myself slipping into it just from being around it. Cant seem to help it lol

In my early 20s I spent a lot of time with my best friend, who is a gay male, going out to clubs and stuff. My boyfriend at the time would get so annoyed with me because he said I picked up some of the lispy tones lol.

I think it just happens to ya naturally if you expose yourself to different regions and types of folk. Would be a cool project for a science or social studies fair lol

On topic, I watched this episode of Graham Norton too lol . She looks like she needs a sandwich and her hair colored back dark. Would never have known it was her had I not read it in the guide info

Last edited:
I personally have found that when ever you're around a group of people with a different accent you tend to pick it up even with out noticing it, and then when you go home, you have it for a while until your friends basically tease it out of you.

I have always found that when I am surrounded by a group with some sort of accent - it doesn't take long for them to start talking like ME. For example, did you know all of California once sounded exactly the way people sound in the old Leave it to Beaver episodes - then I visited for a weekend in the 70's and taught them how to cuss, smoke, skateboard and be cool.

I would never have known that was Gillian Anderson. And I've heard she grew up in London until around 11:00.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back