Matt Smith shows off his pic of Manofsteel's cosplaying Doctors !! Too funny

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Jet Beetle, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

2. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Now how awesome is that! On his personal iPhone no less!! :thumbsup

3. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool video! I didnt care for Gillian Anderson's comment or new accent lol

4. letmebestormy

letmebestormy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gillian is looking hut hut hut!

5. Organic Mechanic

Organic Mechanic Sr Member

That was just awesome! lol Ms. Anderson, not so much. :/

And Matt, she's Dodo Chaplet. 1st Doctor companion. ;)

6. EvilRocketeer

EvilRocketeer Sr Member

that was pretty cool....you can see a fellow rpf member on his phone picture.....Ewan

7. Bootlegger137

Bootlegger137 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's awesome!

Here are a couple of screen caps from the vid...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So what bothered folk about GA's comments, somewhat puzzled?

9. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Cool bit about Matt's photos. I either had forgotten or never knew that Gillian has an English accent. Weird. Cool, but weird.

10. Jet Beetle

Thanks for the Caps Chris -
    That's Bobby boy to the left of Matt - pointing. On a side note - Bobby me told a funny story that toward the end of that day he was still dressed as the first Doctor, making his way through the lobby of the convention hall and a couple passed him by. He over heard the fellow utter to his galpal - "Man you can find everyone at Comic Con, there goes Benjamin Franklin!" :lol

11. Organic Mechanic

Nah, her comments didn't bother me any. I just don't like her hair blonde. ;)

12. Birdie

Oh yeah, agreed :lol

In the full broadcast, they showed a clip of her as Miss Haversham in the upcoming BBC remake of Great Expectations. She looked way better in that :thumbsup

AFAIK she has always had an English accent.

13. 0neiros

0neiros Master Member

Finding out she's British is as big a shock to me as when I found out James Marsters wasn't. Totally cool. That's what I like about Matt and David, they love the character AND the fans that come with it, no Aloofness.

14. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

To clear up the confusion:
    Gillian Anderson was born in America, moved to England at a very young age and grew up in London until 11. So that's why her default/normal accent is English.
    More importantly, she said she used to watch the original Doctor Who.

Also: I love the fact that Matt Smith seems to genuinely geek-out about a massed Doctors photo-op as much as the fans.

15. Birdie

According to Gillian on the show, she's American, but grew up in the UK until 11, then returned every year for the summer. So I guess she's bi-lingual :lol

Pretty sure I recall her saying she was a punk rocker in the UK not long before getting hired for the X-Files. Dunno if she lives here now, but she does a lot of shows for the BBC.

16. Jet Beetle

To clear up any confusion Gillian actually grew up in the UK until 11, then came to America now and then.

Also Van Halen used to have people mess with their M&Ms.

17. Organic Mechanic

You know what? I got the scoop here. It seems that Ms. Anderson, though born in U.S.A., was raised in England until the age of 11....

:wacko

18. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Hey, don't drag me into this! Can I help it if folks want to copy me? :lol

19. Organic Mechanic

Nothing wrong with being a trend setter. ;)

20. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

So, um what's up with Gillian's accent?

;)

21. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I heard she spent some time in England as a kid before coming to the US and she switches between both accents, but I'm not sure.

22. hotfuzz

hotfuzz Active Member

Until the age of 11

23. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

24. Cookiee Monsta

Cookiee Monsta Well-Known Member

25. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

^ Christian Bale does/did something similar. It's all about appearances, if I recall him saying during the filming of Batman Begins. He didn't want to give the idea of Batman being English or something of that sort.

26. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

This was a huge surprise to say the least! So great to see that Matt has the photo on his phone!

27. Mechinyun

Mechinyun Sr Member

To clear up any confusion, I heard from my cousin that she was born in the US, but moved to the UK when she was 11. THEN uses a American accent when she's in the states and was in the sex pistols at some point?

28. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

That is very cool! I like Matt even more now.

29. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

Also, every time I show this clip to anyone, the first thing they say is "Wait, Gillian Anderson is British?"

30. Wolfie

Wolfie Sr Member

I personally have found that when ever you're around a group of people with a different accent you tend to pick it up even with out noticing it, and then when you go home, you have it for a while until your friends basically tease it out of you.

I had a southern accent as a kid, very strong, mainly picked up from my father. I purposefully worked on my accent to get rid of it, based on my mother's midwest accent and TV shows I watched lol. As I got into higher levels of school in Florida and around a larger group of people it was easy to keep it away.

Working in customer service in my home town in North Florida, people would ask me all the time where I was from because I didnt have the right accent (guesses being Canada, Pittsburg, Denver (close, mother is from there). Moving to Nashville I find myself slipping into it just from being around it. Cant seem to help it lol

In my early 20s I spent a lot of time with my best friend, who is a gay male, going out to clubs and stuff. My boyfriend at the time would get so annoyed with me because he said I picked up some of the lispy tones lol.

I think it just happens to ya naturally if you expose yourself to different regions and types of folk. Would be a cool project for a science or social studies fair lol

On topic, I watched this episode of Graham Norton too lol . She looks like she needs a sandwich and her hair colored back dark. Would never have known it was her had I not read it in the guide info

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  31. Jet Beetle

I have always found that when I am surrounded by a group with some sort of accent - it doesn't take long for them to start talking like ME. For example, did you know all of California once sounded exactly the way people sound in the old Leave it to Beaver episodes - then I visited for a weekend in the 70's and taught them how to cuss, smoke, skateboard and be cool.

32. cptmycpt24

cptmycpt24 New Member

My wife was at the DW panel, while I was off securing tix for this year. Loved every minute and i'm still *.

33. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would never have known that was Gillian Anderson. And I've heard she grew up in London until around 11:00.

34. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So jeleous! I'd love to meet Matt Smith!