Masters of the Universe: Revelation - Netflix series

I'd argue that Mark Hamill was the weakest of the cast, his Skeletor sounded like a deeper, less campy, Joker to me. There were several times throughout the 5 episodes where he said things that really sounded like the Joker to me. Of course, it could be that's what Kevin Smith wanted, something like the Joker but not the Joker. If that's the case, then what a waste of a fine voice talent, they should have let Mark come up with something more original, something that's not the original Skeletor or Joker.
Luckily, (or unluckily cuz I hear it’s great) I’ve never really seen a lot of Batman animated… so I barely know Hamill’s joker….

That said, he def needs more “mwaaaa..” before lines.

I do have Batman animated downloaded… cuz I want to hear this great joker. I’ll get to it eventually!

I just watched 1-5.
Guys, it's really good. Like, these characters are all characters. Everyone has their own motivations and act accordingly instead of just being there to prop up He-Man until the sword comes out. A few times you get hints of the old music cue, but they never really GO THERE. It feels like they're building to it for sure.

I'm not sure if we get Adam regaining the sword or if we get Teela swiping it from Skeletor, but you KNOW it's coming at some point.

As far as the voice acting goes, I don't have any real complaints. Sarah Michelle Gellar does a fine job, but I'm not sure the voice really matches the character as drawn. There's just a disconnect in my brain, which is fine. Mark Hamill is great, but as noted before he comes across a bit Jokery sometimes. I think that was inevitable with his casting, to be frank.

If the old series was for me as a 5 year old then this is perfect for my inner 12 year old. There are stakes, and to mix my metephors, these folks aren't just shooting red and blue lasers that never hit anyone and parachuting to safety each time a skystriker blows up.

I'm really quite happy with this show, and will gladly watch when the remaining episodes hit.

there are He-Man toys all over the floors of the animation studio I was last in… and we weren’t even working on it.

I say it all the time, the studio floors are PACKED with NERD FANS - just like in here…. But unlike the 60’s/70’s studios, they’re black nerds, female nerds, gay nerds… every age, race, gender… and they all wanna make an awesome version of the nerd stuff they grew up on…

So yeah, it bums everyone out when the show is dismissed as woke and not made by fans or for fans. Fandom is in its DNA.

Those folks worked hard to get into creating the stuff they're fans of, they've earned the chance to make representation happen and the show is better for it.

I really hate the toxic notion that every time a little representation shows up it's because a devil in a suit is catering to an agenda. It's just as likely, if not more, that the nerds making the show wanted little future nerds to be able to see themselves a bit more in there, and that's a good thing.

Some people got it in their heads that this was going to be an SJW-wokefest. and I understand why. I too have not a small amount of animosity for what "woke" has done to my star trek, star wars , and Dr. Who. and the early series notes sure sound a whole lot like the Teela show... but we've seen 1/2 of the story so far... lets see it all before we declare it woke. So far all that's been done is setup for the story, and the intro of the main plot (Act 1 and part of Act2). Is it the same as the original no - but I did not really expect it to be either. it is certainly not to the - and I apologize in advance for the triggering - Luke milking green milk from the teet of a swimming space cow lounging on the rocks of Ach-To, and swilling it down... Or having Han go out like a punk patting his kid on the cheek.

Jedi Dade

I don't care what race, gender, sexual orientation, etc a character is, as long as they serve the story. Period. Good writing is good writing and the cast is largely irrelevant if the writing is great because it will often attract the right talent to pull it off. I just don't understand the need to homogenize the majority of entertainment to appeal to everyone rather than cater to specific demographics. There's nothing wrong with mass appeal stories mind you, but there's certainly nothing wrong with appealing to a specific audience either. It speaks to the shift in culture too. For example most stores are general rather than cater to any specific type of inventory. How many music stores/ record stores, book stores, toy stores, are there anymore? They are now the exception when decades ago they were the rule. I suppose it speaks more to the corporatization of the world than anything else.

I don't care what race, gender, sexual orientation, etc a character is, as long as they serve the story. Period. Good writing is good writing and the cast is largely irrelevant if the writing is great because it will often attract the right talent to pull it off. I just don't understand the need to homogenize the majority of entertainment to appeal to everyone rather than cater to specific demographics.
Look, I don't know you, you could be a chartreuse platypus for all I know, but not caring about those things is a position largely enjoyed by people who have always seen themselves in the media and stories they consume.

It matters to folks that have not always enjoyed that position.

And that's really all I will say on the matter as this already walks the border of the rules.

I try to understand both sides of the spectrum with any form of media being reinterpreted.If you don’t like the new stuff cool you still have the original and for some lucky few they enjoy the old and new.The psychology of culture has changed to the point I don’t think you can compare the old vs new as the times in which they were created has dramatically shifted. I guess find a happy medium.

I teach my students that they are lucky in this day and age.In my day to observe mental illness we had to visit psych ward’s or asylum’s now you watch tic tok or any social media.

Look, I don't know you, you could be a chartreuse platypus for all I know, but not caring about those things is a position largely enjoyed by people who have always seen themselves in the media and stories they consume.

It matters to folks that have not always enjoyed that position.

And that's really all I will say on the matter as this already walks the border of the rules.

I always project myself into the story if I'm really engaged by it because regardless of the specific look or preferences of the character, I can empathize with or relate to them on a human level. That's what I enjoy so much about fiction is because I can live vicariously through a character that is often so vastly different than who I am in reality, not only in looks but in motivations/ values. That goes for all fiction, not just MOTU. That's just how I relate to it, and I know other's experiences are different.

Saw the first 3 eps, I'm really enjoying it. I fell that its changed things up enough to make it interesting and fresh and the characters seem quite true to their original incarnation.

If I had to nitpick I would say Skeletor's voice should be more shrill. I can live with it though.

Didn't like it so far. It's painted in forced diversity. If the marketing would have been honest, ok. But it was misleading. I was probably one of the greatest Masters of the universe fans as a kid and they ruined it for me. It's like He-Man without He-Man. Then bring in She-Ra! Teela is nothing unique, just another one of these strong women you get everywhere where you don't want them.

just another one of these strong women you get everywhere where you don't want them.
I agree, Terminator would have been so much better had Skynet gone after John Connor's grandpa.
Ripley, ppfft!! Shoulda just had one of the dudes sort out that alien problem!!

Teela is OG He-man crew, and so far (where I'm up to anyway) there has been no agenda thrown at the audience.
He Man literally saved the universe, where no one else could.

And for such a "strong woman" she keeps having to be rescued by guys.

It's more of an ensemble piece for the other characters, I've no doubt He Man will be coming back.

I agree, Terminator would have been so much better had Skynet gone after John Connor's grandpa.
Ripley, ppfft!! Shoulda just had one of the dudes sort out that alien problem!!

Teela is OG He-man crew, and so far (where I'm up to anyway) there has been no agenda thrown at the audience.
He Man literally saved the universe, where no one else could.

And for such a "strong woman" she keeps having to be rescued by guys.

It's more of an ensemble piece for the other characters, I've no doubt He Man will be coming back.
Ah another one who can't see the differences. Ripley, Sarah Connor, Princess Leia, The Bride etc. were strong characters in their own and they did not took over some other characters spots just because it's trendy. Or were pushed to inhumanity because they're women.
These are iconic characters.

This is something completely different. A remake of a series in which He-Man was the star. And the promotion for the remake made many people think that He-Man would be the star of this show. He isn't and that's the problem. It should be his show. And the three main characters are women. It looks like Teela will become a new She-men and maybe team up with She-Ra.

You can like this, I don't and it's simply because it feels absolutely forced and the marketing was misleading what the show is about.

Didn't like it so far. It's painted in forced diversity. If the marketing would have been honest, ok. But it was misleading. I was probably one of the greatest Masters of the universe fans as a kid and they ruined it for me. It's like He-Man without He-Man. Then bring in She-Ra! Teela is nothing unique, just another one of these strong women you get everywhere where you don't want them.
Forced diversity? I'm not seeing any forced diversity and I've watched all 5 episodes. Most of the characters are from the original series and toy line with no changes to them except for Teela and Man At Arms no longer working for the king. They've added only 2 new female characters, only 1 of which is non-white and one non-white male character, and both are only supporting secondary characters at that too. I'd hardly call that forced diversity unless you're referring to all of the non-human NPCs that you see in the background :D .

Well then call it SJW and not divers. Doesn't matter. It should be He-Man and it isn't. It's just one of those shows which should go in one direction and decided to go in another that simply does not fit with what was announced but does fit in the actual state of social media driven society.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back