Masters of the Universe: Revelation - Netflix series

I don't get the bait and switch complaint. The show is called Masters of the Universe, not He-Man & the Masters of the Universe.
When I first heard the title I guess / thought that they would be focusing on other characters. Which I would like seeing more characters developed for other characters beside He-man.
To me this property has always been an assemble cast, not solely focus on He-man.

Last edited:
I don't get the bait and switch complaint. The show is called Masters of the Universe, not He-Man & the Masters of the Universe.
When I first heard the title I guess / thought that they would be focusing on other characters. Which I would like seeing more characters developed for other characters beside He-man.
To me this property has always been an assemble cast, not solely forus on He-man.
If you were talking GI Joe being an ensemble cast, sure. Take out any one Joe and it still works. I don't see how you can take out He-Man though and the show still works.

Let's be real here, the franchise is He-Man's regardless of the name. I'm all for exploring other characters but
when you kill off He-Man early on after you built him up in the trailer as a major presence and along with Kevin Smith's repeated denials that it would be the Teela show, it's most definitely a bait and switch. The irony is I think the idea of "killing off" He-Man and the rest of Eternia struggling to manage without him until they can bring him back somehow would be a cool mini arc. But you have to build up to that I think.

Last edited:
If you'll forgive my picking this bit out I must say, this point of view baffles the **** out of me.

"This thing isn't what I wanted exactly, but it's still OK."
"So you're happy because it's good?"
"Oh Lord no. I'm pissed as hell that it isn't the thing I thought it would be."
"But you said it was good?"
"I don't care if it's good, it isn't what I wanted!"

So if you order & pay for a steak, and the restaurant brings you a chicken, you don't understand what's wrong with that?

Series is great so far!

Bring on the back 5.

has no one seen Justice League?

if you have an indestructible goody two shoes, you gotta take that dude out for a bit so it’s a big deal hero moment when he comes back.

Or I guess it’s super fun for 10 episodes of Adam becomes He-Man and punches things the end.

Series is great so far!

Bring on the back 5.

has no one seen Justice League?

if you have an indestructible goody two shoes, you gotta take that dude out for a bit so it’s a big deal hero moment when he comes back.

Or I guess it’s super fun for 10 episodes of Adam becomes He-Man and punches things the end.
You know what I take it back, if the great critic Neorutty approves then it's good in my book:D(y)

Last edited:
So if you order & pay for a steak, and the restaurant brings you a chicken, you don't understand what's wrong with that?
It's more like ordering the steak you remember loving as a kid but now the steak is smaller (as you're bigger) but you like it 'cause you've started eating your vegetables too? :)

To me this property has always been an assemble cast, not solely focus on He-man.

Because it was sold as a "spiritual successor" to the original. Those are Kevin Smith's words. What people got was not what was promised. In fact, Kevin Smith out and out lied to people, assuring them that it wasn't what people suspected it would be... and it is exactly that.

This show could have easily waited 5-6 episodes before whipping out He-Man for the first time. The fans would have totally gone along with that - if we liked the material they were delivering in the meantime. But we are seeing red flags about how the whole thing has been handled.

I would really like to be proven wrong about this.

But that's not really an apt comparison. You're already subscribed to Netflix, and you were probably going to be for the foreseeable future anyway. It isn't like you spent $40 for a steak and they brought you a chicken.

Who's ready for a tortured metaphor? Join me, will you?

Imagine a buddy you haven't seen in 20 years invites you over for dinner. He was always a mediocre cook in retrospect, but you're more than happy to join him for a little while for old time's sake.
You get to his house and you notice that somewhere along the way he learned how not to decorate his whole living space in prints of Boris Vallejo paintings. Weird.
Anyhow, he fires up the grill and suddenly you're hit with memories of mediocre burgers on cheap buns, and you're kind of getting into it. Like, man it's been a long time.
When he's done he plates you up a well seasoned burger on a nice brioche bun with a side of grilled asparagus.
It's not what you were expecting, but on every technical level it's better than what your nostalgia wanted.
After the meal, you get up, shake hands and thank him for the food then vow never to see him again as he didn't reheat your nostalgia for you, and you find his house on Google maps and leave a 1 star review. All the while you're only out the gas money to get there which you were always going to spend anyway because you own a car.

/End tortured metaphor.

But that's not really an apt comparison. You're already subscribed to Netflix, and you were probably going to be for the foreseeable future anyway. It isn't like you spent $40 for a steak and they brought you a chicken.

Umm . . . I won't try to battle with that kind of logic.

Suit yourself, I guess.

I watched the original pilot before the new one the other night… forgot how bad the original was… loved it as a kid, but I’m an adult who can discern between good and bad now… and good lord, that old stuff is BAD.

Interesting tho… Teela is mentioned as the most powerful warrior in eternia (or something like that) and the second episode (in my downloads anyway… not sure they’re in proper order) is all about Teela and the very stuff they’re dealing about in revelation.

I really don’t get people’s complaints, but I’ve been in animation and dealt with adult fans and anger for decades… don’t know why I’m surprised

I was involved in the CG Thomas the tank engine… you want anger? Peeve off a bunch of “Sheldon” type train fans.

I’m 100% sure He-Man is in the back 5… I mean the front 5 is basically about bringing him (The sword) back… and now he’s back.

didn’t anyone else want to know about Teela being sorceress daughter?! Didn’t anyone wanna know why Adam and He-Man were kept secret from her? Didn’t anyone care if the kids got back from the land of dungeons and dragons or what CLAW looked like!?! I want answers!

Anyway, I’m too old to care about changing opinions… cuz it’s impossible. But I sat through these new 5 eps and was never bored…

A couple years back I watched dozens of old eps prepping a show of mine, and it was torture!!! Those old filmation eps are not just cheap animation…. They’re pretty boring to boot…

3A718C49-122F-472D-B190-AA727F2EA254.jpeg

(Speaking of cheap animation…. I wish I had revelations money…)

5AA85D67-D8D2-4EC3-BDFB-D6085A94C7F1.png

Revelations is how I REMEMBER those toons being…

Feel bad for you all who hate it…

Last edited:
I just finished the first 5 episodes. I don't see how anyone can be mad at that. These are real stories with actual stakes involving characters with actual depth. If you prefer the caricatures that were in the old Filmation show, then fine. Go watch them. They're still there. So far, this is way better. Better animation, better writing, better acting. More of this, please.

Look everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of where you landed on this show. I just find it really disengenuous to argue that the original show was mediocre to justify the merits of this reboot. As corny as the original show could get its enduring appeal ensured that it's still a viable enough property that Netflix launched a reboot 40 years later. Time has proven it to be a classic because it still exists and hasn't become some kitstch novelty. So instead of ******** on a classic to prop up your arguments for the latest show, why not break down why it's a great show period and drop this reflexive idea that you have to insult the source material. This goes for any franchise too, not just MOTU. At least then we can have a healthier discussion that isn't so divisive.

I'm certainly not suggesting that the original should be free from all criticism, but what I am saying is that by and large the story works and works so well that it's endured to this day. What I think would be a more interesting and honest approach would be explaining how this reboot takes the original concept and makes it better (or worse) depending on your take.

Last edited:
Just watched the first three episodes. I think they're great fun, and a very clever expansion and development of the original lore. Great development of the characters, some terrific voice acting and the visual design and animation is excellent. Really looking forward to seeing how the new extended worldbuilding works out (and - of course - how they eventually bring the big boy back!) :D

Why people pull out the original is to argue against people saying this has terrible writing, looks like crap… terrible design and made Teela He-Man…

I still don’t get the Teela is a better He-Man thing… she hasn’t pulled the sword… she hasn’t said the words… she has the EXACT SAME POSITION as in the originals… she can actually just fight instead of pushing someone in the butt with her foot.

I just don’t see how the whole show so far ISN’T about He-Man… the whole show is predicated on his heroic sacrifice… And he stabbed skeletor through the guts!

And how baller was it that when he finally raises the sword again, skeletor stabs him and takes the power!?

STAKES!!!! Real stakes!!!!

If this is Woke, bring on Woke GI Joe!!!

But don’t centre it around that red head chick… we know GI JOE is all about ninjas.

We are all judging this show on incomplete evidence, whether we are praising it or trashing it.

The original series was the 20th-century TV model. Each episode was self-contained and everything had to be wiped back to baseline for next week. This new one has a multi-episode story arc.

More like, you order a steak and they bring you a lettuce wedge.

Your favorite steak house just went ovo lacto vegan, and their new, lead chef, admits he doesnt believe in applying heat to food.

but here's a clip from their new commercial

If you are cool with being lied to, just realize, some folks aren't.

Trashing the classics.

Look everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of where you landed on this show. I just find it really disengenuous to argue that the original show was mediocre to justify the merits of this reboot. As corny as the original show could get its enduring appeal ensured that it's still a viable enough property that Netflix launched a reboot 40 years later. Time has proven it to be a classic because it still exists and hasn't become some kitstch novelty. So instead of ******** on a classic to prop up your arguments for the latest show, why not break down why it's a great show period and drop this reflexive idea that you have to insult the source material. This goes for any franchise too, not just MOTU. At least then we can have a healthier discussion that isn't so divisive.

I'm certainly not suggesting that the original should be free from all criticism, but what I am saying is that by and large the story works and works so well that it's endured to this day. What I think would be a more interesting and honest approach would be explaining how this reboot takes the original concept and makes it better (or worse) depending on your take.

I don't think anyone here is saying the original is trash, it certainly still has its charms, but the bar for 41 year old me is a lot higher than for 5 year old me. That show has not aged gracefully in the way that some other animated shows from decades past have. See also GI Joe. Yikes.

More like, you order a steak and they bring you a lettuce wedge.

Your favorite steak house just went ovo lacto vegan, and their new, lead chef, admits he doesnt believe in applying heat to food.

but here's a clip from their new commercial

If you are cool with being lied to, just realize, some folks aren't.

serious question… what was the lie?

the ten eps aren’t even over yet… and they aren’t stand alone eps…

so we’re halfway through the story…

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back