Masters of the Universe: Revelation - Netflix series

Was nice to see it explore more of the characters, though I would've liked to see more of Man At Arms.
Gotta love that they didn't shy away from actually killing a character, even if it's one I don't even remember.
If only they'd now make a decent She-Ra show instead of that bland Adventure Time clone.

Netflix has already greenlit a season 2, so I guess we have a lot more of this to look forward to. It hasn't been officially announced but Smith accidentally let it slip during his podcast last night. And no, I'm not talking about part 2 of season 1.

41 year old here. don't actually remember the original clearly never bothered to re visit after struggling to get through a couple Thundercats epipods (they were bad). I made it through an episode and a half of the new Masters of the Universe and i am done. Sarah Michelle Gellers voice work doesn't work for me and whatever Kevin Smith use to have as writer he's lost it. If you got enjoyment out of this great. just not for me and we really shouldn't be ******** on other peoples opinions debate is not just mud slinging.

Definitely agree with the Teela voice acting. Yikes, does that not even come close to fitting the character and even worse it's grating, shrill and she's like a nagging harpy. I've actually gone to watch the 2002 He-Man series after this which many people keep recommending to me and I'm even tempted to go pick up some of the He-Man graphic novels.

EDIT: Amazon.ca had one left, the He-Man Omnibus hardcover. 1500 pages, $150 Canadian. Well at least August 6th is a possible overtime shift for me because I just ordered this monster.

Last edited:
Definitely agree with the Teela voice acting. Yikes, does that not even come close to fitting the character and even worse it's grating, shrill and she's like a nagging harpy. I've actually gone to watch the 2002 He-Man series after this which many people keep recommending to me and I'm even tempted to go pick up some of the He-Man graphic novels.
Agreed. The voice bumped for me as well…

tho has been a long time since I’ve heard an impassioned, near-tears Buffy speech… bit of 90’s nostalgia there!

BA7117FD-7C73-4BD7-B5D6-B7CB4583D459.jpeg

Yeah her voice does not fit Teela and I didn't think I'd say this but I'm not liking Mark Hamill as Skeletor. All I hear when he talks is the Joker.

EDIT: Amazon.ca had one left, the He-Man Omnibus hardcover. 1500 pages, $150 Canadian. Well at least August 6th is a possible overtime shift for me because I just ordered this monster.
I just received mine. I saw the reviews for it and had to give it a shot. Just to warn you the book is a massive beast. No way you're reading this thing laying back in an easy chair.

All I hear when he talks is the Joker.

Agreed, although not a problem per se (Hamill as Joker is amazing), it is distracting when I think- "That was more of a Joker line" with many of his quips.

Also agree that SMG just isn't landing with me as Teela- but voice casting has gotten so obsessed with celebrity names of late that I've largely given up on getting superlative VO work on shows.

On the show itself, call me a heretic but I thought the greatest thing about it (aside from introducing actual stakes) was that they completely sidelined Adam and He-Man. He/they are possibly the most boring, tedious parts of this universe, so seeing the world without him actually made it more interesting to me. I expect he'll be back and hopefully they'll invest some time to give him some depth as part of that, but for now, that was the hook that kept me interested in the show. I thought the use of flashbacks was a decent way to keep him in the story without actually being in it.

In a weird way, I would have liked He-Man (regardless of the era of MOTU) a lot better if they had just done away with the Adam conceit and just let him be a Conan ripoff. Instead, he's more like Billy Batson/Captain Marvel- which is a thing that has always bugged me. How can I take an adult character seriously when I know it's actually a teenager in that body? Adam may not be technically a teenager, but he has zero personality, no motivation and no reason to be He-Man other than because someone told him to be. He's Superman without any tragedy in his life to give him purpose and direction for why he does what he does.

It's interesting that so many people are reacting to this as they did TLJ along very similar lines- which again, seems to point to a difference in appetites in terms of what people want out of their nostalgia trips. And once again, I find I seem to have fallen on the side of it that appreciates it for being disruptive. But then, I was never an obsessive MOTU fan- it was just another facet of my youth that I remember enjoying for what it was at the time.

Actually, the 2002 is really pretty good, especially compared to this crap. At least it respects the source material.

I'm going to say it. Hamill is phoning it in on his voice work for Skeletor. Might as well be the Joker. It comes off so lazy and takes me right out of it. I don't get it. They have Skeletor's original voice actor voicing Moss Man in the show, but didn't have him do Skeletor? Why? And if he couldn't do it, why not just have the guy from the 2002 series do it? At least it wouldn't sound like the Joker.

I actually stopped posting here cuz everyone is such a whiner about every friggin thing that comes out.

no wonder studios detest fans.

Maybe if the studios would actually try, fans wouldn't hate them. It's endless reboots and reimaginings, nothing original, nothing out of the box, nothing creative. It's all crap, aimed at a particular political ideology, insanely safe, unimaginative garbage.

It's not whining, it's recognizing that simple fact that modern Hollywood sucks rabid donkey dick.

The last 3 episodes could have been longer. I felt they rushed onwards too fast. Over all, good but should have given the characters some time to breath. But, people DO have shorter attention spans nowadays...

Maybe if the studios would actually try, fans wouldn't hate them. It's endless reboots and reimaginings, nothing original, nothing out of the box, nothing creative. It's all crap, aimed at a particular political ideology, insanely safe, unimaginative garbage.

It's not whining, it's recognizing that simple fact that modern Hollywood sucks rabid donkey dick.
Yes, yes, we'll get off your lawn. :p

In regards to your previous comment about the show being a spiritual successor to the original, I would argue that's exactly what this show is. It's a spiritual successor and not a direct successor, it has elements of the original, a lot of the spirit, but isn't a direct copy of the original.

lol

Modern Hollywood. Like whiners are a new thing.

Sorry your old show is trash and that new stuff (with characters that reflect the people actually sitting down, writing, plotting, designing, editing, painting animating, scoring, this great new series) is superior to it and that somehow “ruins your childhood”

there are 130 episodes of the old show and a 2002 show. 100’s of hours of crappy cheap animation aimed at 6 year olds to knock yourself out on…

I already did that 30 years ago…

So I’ll be waiting on the back five of this one… and if it’s sucks, I’ll go “oh well” and watch something else…

but I guess whining about it on the internet works too… cuz believe me… the studios listen.

My studio has weekly meetings where we sit down and read through threads on YouTube and Reddit… we sweat it out a while, take some shots, and then start pointing fingers at who’s fault it is.

And then the mass firings start.

someone always cries. Then we gather together and make a plan for a way to appease the 40 year olds who are mad we didn’t give big boobs to our female character….

Seeya on the back 5!

Peace! I’m out!

(I actually have to work dev on a show for 6-11 year olds… hopefully when those kids are 40 they won’t be trying to ruin someone’s career for remaking MY show!)

I'm going to say it. Hamill is phoning it in on his voice work for Skeletor. Might as well be the Joker. It comes off so lazy and takes me right out of it. I don't get it. They have Skeletor's original voice actor voicing Moss Man in the show, but didn't have him do Skeletor? Why? And if he couldn't do it, why not just have the guy from the 2002 series do it? At least it wouldn't sound like the Joker.

Could be that Hamill wasn’t GREAT for the role, but writers wanted to meet him… cuz Luke!

I say that cuz every single casting thing I’ve been in, I suggest Mark Hamill. Cuz I want to meet Luke.

Has never worked out for me… :mad:

I say this jokingly… and also completely seriously.

Could be that Hamill wasn’t GREAT for the role, but writers wanted to meet him… cuz Luke!

I say that cuz every single casting thing I’ve been in, I suggest Mark Hamill. Cuz I want to meet Luke.

Has never worked out for me… :mad:

I say this jokingly… and also completely seriously.
I'd argue that Mark Hamill was the weakest of the cast, his Skeletor sounded like a deeper, less campy, Joker to me. There were several times throughout the 5 episodes where he said things that really sounded like the Joker to me. Of course, it could be that's what Kevin Smith wanted, something like the Joker but not the Joker. If that's the case, then what a waste of a fine voice talent, they should have let Mark come up with something more original, something that's not the original Skeletor or Joker.

Sorry your old show is trash

Yet it's still a relevant property 40 years later not just on television, but in toy aisles, conventions, and generated it's very own convention (PowerCon). But sure. The original is trash. Bankable, beloved by millions around the world, trash. And trash that has kept people like you employed. So there's also that.

It's this dismissive attitude and the attitudes of the content creators that is what vexes most fans. Sure fans might be vocal about changes made to their beloved property and while I can agree that there are many who take their criticisms too far, it certainly goes both ways.

but I guess whining about it on the internet works too… cuz believe me… the studios listen.

They listen, but their response is mostly the same. More often than not it manifests itself in several ways. Either discredit any real criticisms by claiming misogyny, racism, sexism, (insert other trigger word of the day) on the part of the fans, blame the fans for a poor reception, claim the fans who voice distain for a new iteration are not true devotees- despite decades of loyalty to the brand, and generally continue digging in their heels when fans call them out for not understanding or respecting the lore of any given property, because ultimately that's what fans are often displeased with. Instead the studios could admit that perhaps they could have done better, or just do like they did in the old days and ignore the haters. The onus of the success, or failure, of any given property is on the STUDIO WHO PRODUCES IT, NOT THE FANS. It's the fan's job to consume it. Placing the blame for the failure of a story isn't the fans fault and constantly blaming them solves nothing.

I'll readily admit there is a rancid portion of the internet who will spew vitriol at a studio and resort to sick responses like death threats or some other overblown idiocy, but those to my knowledge are few and far between and often when called to task to provide evidence so that we can ALL gang up on those sickos to push them out of the fandom or at least shut them up, the studios or creators rarely ever provide reciepts to back up the claims. So perhaps it would be better to show us those people so we can collectively shove them out the door, or at the least call them out on their behavior.

Customer service and reviews are a part of every single industry in modern life. Hollywood shouldn't be exempt from that. If only they would take the time to listen to those who express genuine concern rather than have a knee jerk reaction that any form of critique is somehow hate filled or (insert trigger word of the day) then perhaps we can get somewhere.

I respect the work you do as someone who works in the film industry and working in retail for most of my life, I know how utterly awful people can be. I truly empathize with you in that regard.

Actually, the above is WELL PUT! And the appreciated kind of response…

I was speaking in hyperbole cuz that’s how alll the negativity comes across as…

constructive criticism is great, and helpful… but what’s being said about this show is not helpful

I asked what “the lies” were and got the laugh emoji
… the universal answer when you know anything you say will be instantly torn apart.

I LOVE He-Man… I made a series spoofing what I loved about it… if it kept going, I was gonna make fun of Teela and her not being allowed to know about Adam, being the sorceress daughter… being the “most powerful warrior in eternia” who never gets let in the loop…

So was excited when I heard the plot of this arc (Story arc… not 10 stand alone, one ep story arcs)

but saying the new is trash compared to the original is complete hyperbole… I doubt they watch that original show anymore… I HAD TO for my show and it does NOT hold up

I’m currently working through GI Joe for another project, and that show is bad as well, but I’d STILL say it’s better than original He-Man… but I love both equally!

My problem is that the criticism is so vulgar now…

Mobs review-bomb a show to punish creator - is this a one star show!? NO!! Is it a 5 star? NO!!! Is this helpful? No!

Review bombing doesn’t draw any attention other than for YouTube videos to go “see!?”, while in reality studios see it as a wash, and ignore fan reviews for the show from then on… cuz it’s no longer criticism, it’s just anger and trying to get people fired.

Why in reviews for this show is Kathleen Kennedy mentioned AT ALL!? Cuz it’s the same people every time.

The other complaint is that this is “woke”. Why is it woke? Cuz there’s a black female main character? I don’t get it…

I worked in a super woke studio, and it could get annoying. Im not a fan of woke policing or SJW agendas… I don’t see it here. I see Teela got a bump up, but I wouldn’t say that’s woke… I’d say they finally gave the most powerful warrior in eternia something to do…

I’m an idiot cuz I read reviews for everything I work on… but nothing I’ve worked on has ever been review bombed, so the critiques are helpful…

I just genuinely feel bad for every person whose lives were the show for the last 2 years, and it’s dismissed as garbage and hated on with most criticism making no sense, while insulting the fandom behind what’s being made…

there are He-Man toys all over the floors of the animation studio I was last in… and we weren’t even working on it.

I say it all the time, the studio floors are PACKED with NERD FANS - just like in here…. But unlike the 60’s/70’s studios, they’re black nerds, female nerds, gay nerds… every age, race, gender… and they all wanna make an awesome version of the nerd stuff they grew up on…

So yeah, it bums everyone out when the show is dismissed as woke and not made by fans or for fans. Fandom is in its DNA.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back