"Master Replicas Dumps Star Wars" (Article from MR website)

sorry to say I saw this coming a la Polar Lights and ERTL. THEY got bought out by a company that ALSO specialized in little racing cars etc and only wanted Polar as part of a buy out that enabled them to keep teh trinkets they wanted and get rid of the higher end stuff they didnt (1/350th E). No suprises here...these a-holes seem to only care about there lower cost trinkets and give a rats a$$ about higher end collectibles. Be interesting to see what happens with the Trek License now.
Personally I dont see anyone out there right now capable of picking up the license and doing anything good with it. I think we have seen the apex of high end commercially available replicas now come and go...OR....maybe RUBIES.....? LOL

doesnt it make your blood boil when you read about millionairs and billionairs scuttling over profits. sheesh

woow woow recasting party 1/1/08!!!!!!!

This is unfortunate.
I hope someone continues to make SW prop replicas, but I really don't see any companies out there that I think could do it.

QMx hasn't really produced anything yet. They're a young company too and the license may be out of their reach.

Sideshow, Weta, Gentle Giant - they're all basically casting sculptures and have no experience in the type of replicas we're familiar with.

When Corgi purchased MR, I said it would be the beginning of the end for the type of quality product we have come to expect from MR. Lot's of people argued the contrary, they were wrong. It's too bad.

With the problems and delays OMX already had with the Mal pistol they would not be my first pick -not that others don't have problems, but when it is you first line, it is a bad way to come out of the gate. Also I just think they are too small, and this license is way to expensive for most companies. I suspect if it chances hands it will be Sideshow that picks this part up. They already are in a buisness relationship with LF, and they seem to produce the quality of product that would fit the line. I suppose in most ways it doesn't effect me because I was only able to buy the low-end MR (or Sideshow for that matter) items away. The high end stuff is just too much- and really a small market in terms of overall sales. Sill I like my licenses stuff, and have faith that someone will keep making Star Wars stuff for me to buy.
I do get a kick out of the posts that rant about the evils of companies wanting to make profits...The only people who have the right to make that autruistic cry in my eyes are folks that have given up all their money and now work just for free. A Company only exist to make money- expecting less of them is unrealistic and naive.

Well this is just sad. As I only collect SW, it's the end of MR products for me :cry

I consider myself lucky that I have just about all the MR products I want in my collection - and that with the Vader ROTJ saber release they finished all the major sabers from the flicks.

As far as I'm concerned there's not much point in speculation over what happened in the negotiations. All I will say is that I was always concerned over the license renewal since the Corgi merger/takeover - after all it means you've got different people round the table for the negotiations, each with new and different agendas, blah blah blah.

I think it's pretty much an inevitability that another company will get the license within a year or so - and we will almost certainly see new versions of all the old MR products - particularly the sabers which were such a staple for MR, and are now completely opened up again. Does this make an MR collection worthless? Far from it - I'm happy with all my MR items. Is it bad for the long-term collector - definitely as the chances of seeing any of the more obscure items (like council sabers) in any near term timeframe are very low.

I hope they get the V2, Mundi, and Mara sabers out this year.

In the words of Douglas Adams - So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I think this is a great development. I think MR did a great job and I have a bunch of their props. But Star Wars is moribund and sabers etc. have been done to death. Plus, I think this could be the signal that we're heading back to an age when prop collecting was less about mass merchandise and more about the thrill of the chase. Expect a resurgence of grassroots prop making and collecting. In any case, MR deserves our praise for producing many cool pieces.

That's what I was thinking! What's with all the recast talk???

FB

I think the problem on QMX has been they are starting on small resoures and are just going through the beginning growth pangs. But given Steve D's work that really made MR what it was in the beginning, I would place my bets on him to be the one to really get a good SW prop franchise going again. The learning curve on that alone is quite tough and he knows all the internal issues as well the other issues that are presented for this undertaking.

Parks has acted like an A** with the fan base and his too pious attitude makes him a liability to any franchise. There are a few others that could make a go at it in the FX replacement line. It will be interesting to see how the future lays out.

How did Steve D get the SW license in the first place? Was it just cheaper back then? In any case, he started the product category, and LFL should give him appropriate consideration if he asked.

I am sad to hear this news. The SW props are mainly what I collect from MR. I guess this is one way to cut back on my addiction. Didn't see this one coming.

Yes, but my point was that it costs MR/Corgi alot of money for this deal..........and it costs LFL nothing. That is a huge difference when you are an independent business. So LFL has all the cards and can simply brush away MR/Corgi and go to the next lowest bidder. Business is business.

Dave

That's not true at all. MR is using Lucasfilm's property to be able to have a business making SW prop replicas. They *have* to pay LFL to make the stuff.

Hopefully someone else will pick it up, but like everyone said most of the blasters and sabers have been done. Only the obscure stuff is left. So I guess it's back to building it ourselves.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back