Mass Effect: Mass Effect, Grunt - foam build with latex - pic heavy

It's planned for Supanova, but there's a looot of work to do! Got to get a few friends kicking my arse into gear, I reckon. :)

get the costume finished and photographed and we will shout about it through the digilegs site and our company social media, may be another little insentive to finish it off.
As for your vision ideas, we have worked with cameras and video goggles for costumes before and for just moving about you can do a setup for under £100, what we found though was that you need a camera and lens per eye for depth perception. Angle grinding blind with 1 camera and no depth perception is bad!

get the costume finished and photographed and we will shout about it through the digilegs site and our company social media, may be another little insentive to finish it off.
As for your vision ideas, we have worked with cameras and video goggles for costumes before and for just moving about you can do a setup for under £100, what we found though was that you need a camera and lens per eye for depth perception. Angle grinding blind with 1 camera and no depth perception is bad!

Hey, that's awesome of you! I'll try, might take longer than I hoped since I've now got heaps of paperwork to do instead of having time for costume work, but hey - it'll get there eventually.

As for cameras, I'd love to know what kind of setup would work and how to get my hands on the bits needed if you don't mind - lack of vision in a giant Grunt suit is pretty worrying . heh. :)

Right! A few more head pics. Looking much Gruntier now I've fixed his expression, fleshed out the left side and started to bring the work up into his head a bit.
GruntHeadProg2.jpgGruntHeadProg3.jpgGruntHeadProg.jpg

Awesome work, looks like we're making Grunt using very similar methods XD

As video vision I've thought about using video too, using a 4inch screen, a car reversing camera and a small DC battery but I've yet to try it out yet. I'm definitely going to keep an eye one this build though (for tips for my own) :D

Awesome work, looks like we're making Grunt using very similar methods XD

As video vision I've thought about using video too, using a 4inch screen, a car reversing camera and a small DC battery but I've yet to try it out yet. I'm definitely going to keep an eye one this build though (for tips for my own) :D

Thanks man! Very kind :)
I saw your build - nice idea using the pep to sculpt off! I've just got the mini head next to mine as a reference. Still have to sculpt the upper arm too.

Re: Mass Effect: Grunt, foam build with latex

I run into problems thinking about the upper arms, as they'll not be able to have my arms in them. The lower arms will be my entire arm, basically, so the upper and lower arms need to join somehow -after- my body has gone into the rest of the suit. I'm thinking velcro again, but it's something to think about. Would it be worth considering wetting up a PVC pipe "skeleton" for the upper arms to hang from and give a small range of movement? Anyone done this?

Been looking at Grunt from various angles trying to figure this out, wondering if it would be sufficient just having straps attach from the shoulder armour to the shoulder structure/frame beneath the skin. :confused

That head sculpt is looking fantastic! The legs are taking shape well too. Looking forward to your next update.

Re: Mass Effect: Grunt, foam build with latex

Been looking at Grunt from various angles trying to figure this out, wondering if it would be sufficient just having straps attach from the shoulder armour to the shoulder structure/frame beneath the skin. :confused

That head sculpt is looking fantastic! The legs are taking shape well too. Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks! I'm working on the head mostly right now so I can get it out of the way, ran out of cash for materials so it's a bit slow! I might try printing the body pattern, though I'm not looking forward to the 98 pages I'll have to rule, cut and piece together for it. Oh well, too hot to do much else, so might as well :)

Yeah, the upper arm is going to be odd, I think the latex stuffed with lightweight filling like foam chips or even toy stuffing will be good to cut down on stress on the shoulder parts. My arm will be covered in a black sleeve so it's not too visible and I'll be able to move the forearms a bit, I'll see how much I can get out of it anyway.

Your sculpt looks incredible!
I mean, I still kiiiiiinda miss Derpy Grunt, but what's not to love about him? He's so FLUFFY!

And 98 pages??? Holy mother of FRAK! Good luck with that!

Just a thought on the upper arms, to save on weight why not use a pvc pipe centre, then place foam rubber rings at intervals with a mesh over to make a skin to stretch your suit/rubber around?

That grunt body pattern?

114 pages. All ruled, cut and taped together. Utter madness, but it's done now - just have to transfer to foam, cut, dremel and glue every... piece... *dies*
GruntPattern.jpg

Then everything else. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Just a thought on the upper arms, to save on weight why not use a pvc pipe centre, then place foam rubber rings at intervals with a mesh over to make a skin to stretch your suit/rubber around?

I'm sculpting the upper arms and casting in latex, so they'll be nice and light - I usually use upholstery foam rings though, they do wirk beautifully. So yeah, you're very close to my plan :)

That grunt body pattern?

114 pages. All ruled, cut and taped together. Utter madness, but it's done now - just have to transfer to foam, cut, dremel and glue every... piece... *dies*
View attachment 292150

Then everything else. :p

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sculpting the upper arms and casting in latex, so they'll be nice and light - I usually use upholstery foam rings though, they do wirk beautifully. So yeah, you're very close to my plan :)

I recognise that patterns, I feel your pain dude XD What're going to use for all the ribbed under suit parts?

I recognise that patterns, I feel your pain dude XD What're going to use for all the ribbed under suit parts?

I've got shiny rubberised spandex fabric that I'll be quilting with thick wadding so it looks like shiny tubes. I'll use sheets of reinforced foam to pad it out to the right shape. It'll be a pain, but should look pretty awesome hopefully. :)

That sculpt is very impressive! Great job.

Looks very nice! Good luck :)

Looking fantastic!! i've subscribed to this thread can't wait to see more progress.

To all three of ya, thanks heaps! Keeps me soldiering on :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back