Marty McFly's Jean Jacket Lining Info - Classic Hollywood Stars Button Up Shirt

bttfjennifer85

Hey guys, so as a lot of you probably know, Nick Fox and London Moore have found what we now currently believe is the fabric used for Marty McFly's Guess jacket lining in Back to the Future. The fabric is from a vintage Dolce Vita shirt and has pictures of old Hollywood actors and actresses including Marilyn Monroe, Humphrey Bogart, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. I have now found another shirt which seems to have the same design, but some slight differences - the inner tag looks different, so I'm assuming this one is possibly a different brand, and it also seems to be missing the "Dolce Vita" tag from the front left chest pocket, so I'm thinking this second shirt is NOT made by Dolce Vita. Also, the Dolce Vita shirt has 5 buttons down the front, whereas this second shirt has 6. Is it possible that this was a popular design back in the day and another company made a "rip-off" of it? (See posts below for photos of the two shirts.)

Shirt #1 - the Dolce Vita shirt.

Attachments

• il_1140xN.1414703040_mv2l.png
    il_1140xN.1414703040_mv2l.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 177
  • il_1140xN.1414702884_6mwa.png
    il_1140xN.1414702884_6mwa.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 117
  • il_1140xN.1461966335_b96j.png
    il_1140xN.1461966335_b96j.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 106
  • il_1140xN.1414702362_5sjj.png
    il_1140xN.1414702362_5sjj.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 87
  • il_1140xN.1414702160_tea0.png
    il_1140xN.1414702160_tea0.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 85
  • il_1140xN.1414702004_j9gt.png
    il_1140xN.1414702004_j9gt.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 88
  • il_1140xN.1414701804_iaku.png
    il_1140xN.1414701804_iaku.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 106
  • il_1140xN.1414701614_l9bl.png
    il_1140xN.1414701614_l9bl.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • il_1140xN.1461966519_6k6x.png
    il_1140xN.1461966519_6k6x.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
  • il_1140xN.1414701458_p1cf.png
    il_1140xN.1414701458_p1cf.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
The most likely scenario is that the screens were sold off by the original company.

The second shirt has differences in the print that would be explained by repairs to the screens after it was purchased.

It’s all theory crafting that London and I have been working on. But would explain why two different brands ran a similar (but not identical) print.

Still kind of not a cool move to release London’s findings without checking in with him. The second shirt especially shows that’s the source of this info since I never found that shirt, only London did.

The most likely scenario is that the screens were sold off by the original company.

The second shirt has differences in the print that would be explained by repairs to the screens after it was purchased.

It’s all theory crafting that London and I have been working on. But would explain why two different brands ran a similar (but not identical) print.

Still kind of not a cool move to release London’s findings without checking in with him. The second shirt especially shows that’s the source of this info since I never found that shirt, only London did.
Yeah, sounds likely! I guess Marty's jacket would have most likely used the fabric from the original shirt, whichever one that may be, not a later re-release version from a different company.

I didn't release any information from London. I didn't even speak to him about this shirt. You and London both publicly announced it was an old vintage shirt, so I did my own research based on the information you both provided (that it was a vintage shirt with that design on) to find out more about said shirt. The information I found was all publicly available on the internet and anyone could have found it, I just collated it together in a post. All the information I shared was from various sold listings of this shirt on etsy, not from posts from you or London, so no, London was not the source of the information I shared, other than the fact that the design was from a shirt, which you had already publicly stated on Facebook and the RPF. The images I posted were from the etsy listings, not London. They are not his images. Neither you or London own the design of the shirt, you found out information about it which I made sure I credited you for, and then I posted further information that I found through my own research. So no, I didn't "release" London's findings, I shared some information that I found myself, which I can provide links for if you don't believe me. :)

I was the one who identified Jennifer Parker's watch and people do not credit me or thank me when they buy one and post about it, and I wouldn't expect them to. Not sure why this is such a secretive topic anyway. Remember, we are all fans of this trilogy, and it's good to help each other out. We do this for fun, to show our love for a brilliant franchise, and just like you are interested in Marty's jacket lining, so are lots of other fans. :) If you and London wanted the shirt to remain "top secret", instead of helping the fandom and fellow cosplayers out, you wouldn't have started posting online about it. It's nice to share findings with the fandom and other cosplayers. :) If you're going to use an argument about people "checking in" with others before doing things, then I must ask, did you check in with Universal and the company who made the shirt before you started replicating their design and selling it on Spoonflower? ;)

Anyway, just wanted to start a friendly and informative discussion about this cool discovery, not a heated debate, so let's keep things on topic. (y) Looking forward to hearing yours and London's theories about the two different versions of the shirt. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds likely! I guess Marty's jacket would have most likely used the fabric from the original shirt, whichever one that may be, not a later re-release version from a different company.

I didn't release any information from London. I didn't even speak to him about this shirt. You and London both publicly announced it was an old vintage shirt, so I did my own research based on the information you both provided (that it was a vintage shirt with that design on) to find out more about said shirt. The information I found was all publicly available on the internet and anyone could have found it, I just collated it together in a post. All the information I shared was from various sold listings of this shirt on etsy, not from posts from you or London, so no, London was not the source of the information I shared, other than the fact that the design was from a shirt, which you had already publicly stated on Facebook and the RPF. The images I posted were from the etsy listings, not London. They are not his images. Neither you or London own the design of the shirt, you found out information about it which I made sure I credited you for, and then I posted further information that I found through my own research. So no, I didn't "release" London's findings, I shared some information that I found myself, which I can provide links for if you don't believe me. :)

I was the one who identified Jennifer Parker's watch and people do not credit me or thank me when they buy one and post about it, and I wouldn't expect them to. Not sure why this is such a secretive topic anyway. Remember, we are all fans of this trilogy, and it's good to help each other out. We do this for fun, to show our love for a brilliant franchise, and just like you are interested in Marty's jacket lining, so are lots of other fans. :) If you and London wanted the shirt to remain "top secret", instead of helping the fandom and fellow cosplayers out, you wouldn't have started posting online about it. It's nice to share findings with the fandom and other cosplayers. :) If you're going to use an argument about people "checking in" with others before doing things, then I must ask, did you check in with Universal and the company who made the shirt before you started replicating their design and selling it on Spoonflower? ;)

Anyway, just wanted to start a friendly and informative discussion about this cool discovery, not a heated debate, so let's keep things on topic. (y) Looking forward to hearing yours and London's theories about the two different versions of the shirt. :)
Ahhhh so you’re an acquaintance of particular banned member.

I’d recognize those sour grapes and a misunderstanding of trademarks anywhere!

Personally I’m fine with the brand being out in the wild. London and I were just working on some other pieces of information before putting it out there. But we recognized that no one would believe that I had replicated something accurately unless I could show that thing which is why I went public with the info.

But hey! At least now people will properly appreciate how hard this thing was to replicate.

Hope you get the credit you deserve for those Jennifer finds!

Last edited:
Where have you got that from? I have literally no clue what you're talking about. I'm not aware of any banned members and barely know anyone on this forum. I'm just a fan here to discuss a movie we all (supposedly) love. I have no desire to upset anyone or associate myself with any negativity, and I don't know why you're trying to cause such a problem over this topic. I haven't misunderstood anything relating to trademarks and I don't know what you're talking about.

The brand was already out in the wild, as I explained before, it was on the internet. I didn't speak to anyone about this shirt, just researched it myself. If you have no problem with information about the branding of this shirt then I have no idea why you're creating such a big issue over it. I haven't got any information other than what I found through looking at old listings online, so rest assured that your secrets are still safe.

I'm sure it was very hard to replicate, yes. I have replicated BTTF designs myself and hand-sewn pieces from scratch using my own replica designs, so I know how hard it is. No one is saying you won't get appreciation for replicating it.

Just reinstating, my intention is not to upset anyone, and I don't know why you're getting offended over a shirt. I don't wish to be a part of any childish arguments, so please don't send me any more sarcastic replies. Let's keep this on topic. Have a nice day.

I don't wish to be a part of any childish arguments, so please don't send me any more sarcastic replies.
Really believable from the person who spent 1/3 of a message with sarcastic emojis.

London found this first so I let him make the call about whether I went public with the brand. This community thrives on mutual respect like that.

If you truly found this on your own then you have every right to share. I just don’t like seeing disrespect towards the people who put the time in to make these discoveries. It’s why I’m insistent he get credit for this.

And I think all people who make discoveries, who do the real work instead of faking it deserve our respect. As you well know, there are certain members that don’t like to do that legwork, they like to make things up to make themselves sound more important, they’ll claim things were made exclusively for production instead of being found items.

Finding something like this just further proves the improvisational nature of the construction of Marty’s jacket. Not something that would have been done on a scratch-made piece.

Between JohnnyTrooper’s accurate jacket (not to mention the roughly dozen in different colorways) and this shirt, all we’re missing is the paisley source to prove that every piece of this jacket was off the shelf and put together.

We’re close and it’s an exciting time to be a BTTF fan!

My smiley emojis weren't sarcastic, I was trying to show that I wanted to be friendly and stay on good terms. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get the wrong idea, but unfortunately you did anyway. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

Yes, he did, and I credited him and yourself with the discovery. No disrespect intended towards anyone, just wanted to add more information to the table as when I found the other version of the shirt that seemed to be by a different brand, I thought it would be an interesting thing to discuss and fans would be interested.

I agree! Hope we can all come together to make more discoveries soon. Have a nice day. :) (y)

Last edited:
We’re close and it’s an exciting time to be a BTTF fan!
And yeah, hopefully progress gets made on the paisley lining soon too. Still hearing lots of different opinions about Marty's jeans style number. Hopefully we can find out a definitive answer soon. Lots of great discoveries this year!

And yeah, hopefully progress gets made on the paisley lining soon too. Still hearing lots of different opinions about Marty's jeans style number. Hopefully we can find out a definitive answer soon. Lots of great discoveries this year!
They’re style 1050s. The only people I’ve seen cast doubt on that are the same people I mentioned above.

That was one of my finds and I shared it with everyone when I made it (just like when I found out that his undershirt was a Royal Comfort brand shirt). Some people just don’t like the idea of Marty wearing women’s jeans, I think.

Probably the same mentality that makes them not want to believe he was wearing a children’s jacket.

Can you imagine being so emasculated by that, that you pretend you spoke at an imaginary archivist at Guess to bolster your fabricated claims?

Glad we’re all moving away from those types and finally making new discoveries again.

Let’s hope the lining is just the beginning!

They’re style 1050s. The only people I’ve seen cast doubt on that are the same people I mentioned above.

That was one of my finds and I shared it with everyone when I made it (just like when I found out that his undershirt was a Royal Comfort brand shirt). Some people just don’t like the idea of Marty wearing women’s jeans, I think.

Probably the same mentality that makes them not want to believe he was wearing a children’s jacket.

Can you imagine being so emasculated by that, that you pretend you spoke at an imaginary archivist at Guess to bolster your fabricated claims?

Glad we’re all moving away from those types and finally making new discoveries again.

Let’s hope the lining is just the beginning!
Interesting, yeah I've heard that number mentioned before, but heard lots of different opinions on it from various sources. Another style number I have heard is 22050.

I don't know who has and hasn't spoken to costume departments etc., everyone claims something different, but the important thing is that we're archiving some great information that will be valuable to future fans (no pun intended) of BTTF! I'm aware there are people who have had issues with others, but I have nothing against anyone in this fandom and want to stay on good terms with everyone, not here to start any drama. I think it's great that everyone's chipping in with new discoveries and information and think it's nice to share information with others as we're all fans and should help each other.

And yes, absolutely! Fingers crossed we find more stuff soon. Always on the look out!

Interesting, yeah I've heard that number mentioned before, but heard lots of different opinions on it from various sources. Another style number I have heard is 22050.

I don't know who has and hasn't spoken to costume departments etc., everyone claims something different, but the important thing is that we're archiving some great information that will be valuable to future fans (no pun intended) of BTTF! I'm aware there are people who have had issues with others, but I have nothing against anyone in this fandom and want to stay on good terms with everyone, not here to start any drama. I think it's great that everyone's chipping in with new discoveries and information and think it's nice to share information with others as we're all fans and should help each other.

And yes, absolutely! Fingers crossed we find more stuff soon. Always on the look out!
22050 was a find of mine as well, and what I recommended for any cosplayer who isn't MJF sized, and can't squeeze into the (honestly) cruelly-sized 80s denim for women.

The cut and rear yoke / pockets are all wrong though. It's just the closest male style they made.

22050 was a find of mine as well, and what I recommended for any cosplayer who isn't MJF sized, and can't squeeze into the (honestly) cruelly-sized 80s denim for women.

The cut and rear yoke / pockets are all wrong though. It's just the closest male style they made.
Yeah, 80s Guess was very small! I'm a 24 waist and my 29 waist Guess jeans are tight.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back