Mark 42 Helmet and Voice Recognition

2015-07-20 22.34.36.jpg
2015-07-20 22.34.54.jpg

Finally got off my butt and started to lay down some more paint this week. Got to finish the cheek pieces and add the details in the face plate and then off to adding the electronics into it...maybe I might get most of it done by the end of next week (hopefully)

I also got around to figuring what this Fritzing program is and its pretty awesome for setting up virtual breadboards. Heres the mess I mean "system" I've got laid out so far. This diagram is not 100% but more like 90% because I changed a few things since I made this but here it is. Plus there's a few wires that are listed because Fritzing doesn't have them loaded like for example the I2C interface on the LCD module.
crazy wiring diagram.PNG

Last edited:
View attachment 505088
View attachment 505089

Finally got off my butt and started to lay down some more paint this week. Got to finish the cheek pieces and add the details in the face plate and then off to adding the electronics into it...maybe I might get most of it done by the end of next week (hopefully)

I also got around to figuring what this Fritzing program is and its pretty awesome for setting up virtual breadboards. Heres the mess I mean "system" I've got laid out so far. This diagram is not 100% but more like 90% because I changed a few things since I made this but here it is. Plus there's a few wires that are listed because Fritzing doesn't have them loaded like for example the I2C interface on the LCD module.
View attachment 505096

That mind control hack thing, does the arduino has to be attached to the sensor unit?
Or can you run a wire and move it someplace else?
For example, sticking it in the chest piece, where there's much more room for the battery pack and the CPU.

Edit:
Cuz I was thinking about doing some things you mentioned in your build(A muscle sensor for the repulsor arm), but there are other commands I'd like to be able to send to the suit too, without needing to add external buttons(Like XRobots' iron man suit).
While we're on the subject, how accurate is the hardware?
Will it be able to differentiate between several commands, or limited to like 1 or 2?

When you get the mindflex wired up, your going have a TX and RX wire for the arduino coming from the headset and you would plug them into PINS 0 and 1. the arduino can then be programmed to have your thoughts controls whatever you want. Sorry I forgot to mention I didnt have time to wire that in.

Last edited:
sorry I forgot to mention i'm not running that in this project. but when you get the mindflex wired up, your going have a TX and RX wire for the arduino coming from the headset and you would plug them into PINS 0 and 1. the arduino can then be programmed to have your thoughts controls whatever you want. Sorry I forgot to mention I didnt have time to wire that in. It came down to scaling issues in this helmet, but I will be putting in my next one which I'll be starting on very soon!

So you used the board but didn't put it in the build?

How many commands could you process through it?

I forgot to add a description for that black module in the diagram. That is actually the voice recognition module I'm using. The Mindflex chip isn't in the diagram but will be added later due me changing my mind about my helmet and redesigning it. I've redesigned my helmet to add a moving jaw and more movie accurate details. I'm gonna have another update in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I forgot to add a description for that black module in the diagram. That is actually the voice recognition module I'm using. The Mindflex chip isn't in the diagram but will be added later due me changing my mind about my helmet and redesigning it. I've redesigned my helmet to add a moving jaw and more movie accurate details. I'm gonna have another update in a few weeks.

Fantastic work! :D

That mind control hack thing, does the arduino has to be attached to the sensor unit?
Or can you run a wire and move it someplace else?
For example, sticking it in the chest piece, where there's much more room for the battery pack and the CPU.

Edit:
Cuz I was thinking about doing some things you mentioned in your build(A muscle sensor for the repulsor arm), but there are other commands I'd like to be able to send to the suit too, without needing to add external buttons(Like XRobots' iron man suit).
While we're on the subject, how accurate is the hardware?
Will it be able to differentiate between several commands, or limited to like 1 or 2?

Yeah your going to have a TX/RX/GND wire all coming from the mindflex. The Mindflex does have a built in bluetooth module in it but I couldn't find to hack that. As far as commands, it's really only one or two but that would be good enough to open or close the faceplate.

Looks like you're using the EasyVR?
Been working on the same thing myself, but unfortunately it's very very particular about the voice input. Been having problems with it recognizing my voice to be honest.
What software did you use with it?

Looks like you're using the EasyVR?
Been working on the same thing myself, but unfortunately it's very very particular about the voice input. Been having problems with it recognizing my voice to be honest.
What software did you use with it?

I haven't been having any issues using the factory software with it. You can adjust the "strictness" of the recognition settings.

What up everybody? So I've been redesigning my Mark 42 helmet to add in the brainwave sensor so I can open and close the faceplate with my thoughts. Sorry I haven't been posting with regular updates - life's hectic lol going to school, stay at home dad and I'm getting married next month so yeah lol Well I've gutted the original mindflex toy and scrapped everything but the neurosky chip (this is the chip that reads the brainwaves and everything else in the toy is junk) and made a custom chip to hold a battery pack, the neurosky chip and a bluetooth module. I plan on putting it in a replica headset Tony Stark uses in IM3. Thats what this chip is currently in right now (a mock up headset piece right now). So yeah this is what I've got going so far with the redesign along with the new helmet.

P.S. Excuse my 3d printed part quality, my printer is on the fritz...

2015-09-06 22.18.02.jpg

Hey everybody, just thought I'd give a quick status update.----> So I've went through a few iterations of the headset to find one that actually fits all the electronics and still looks the part. Well it's almost finished. I should hopefully have pics posted up by tomorrow night or Monday. The servo moves with no problem being powered my brainwaves. As for the helmet, I've had a few setbacks, the new helmet has cracked due to falling off work desk. I've a got a Mark VII work in progress I might put it in, I've even thought about going about and putting in a Mark 45 or even the new Mark 46. I haven't made my mind up just yet.

Hey everybody, just thought I'd give a quick status update.----> So I've went through a few iterations of the headset to find one that actually fits all the electronics and still looks the part. Well it's almost finished. I should hopefully have pics posted up by tomorrow night or Monday. The servo moves with no problem being powered my brainwaves. As for the helmet, I've had a few setbacks, the new helmet has cracked due to falling off work desk. I've a got a Mark VII work in progress I might put it in, I've even thought about going about and putting in a Mark 45 or even the new Mark 46. I haven't made my mind up just yet.
Devildog i have uploaded a tutorial of how i did the gauntlet laser on the mk 45 sorry for the long wait :D

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back