Voice changer/fx device question

real9thdoctor

Hey all! Got another weird question.

So, for my Shadow costume, I was thinking of some voice changer/fx device that would make my voice(my Shadow voice lol) sound both raspier than I can make it, and/or add a slight reverb effect like Alec Baldwin's Shadow voice.

Now, years ago I had a Vader voice changer helmet that could also alter and add fx to your voice, but it really only worked if I spoke in a near whisper; speaking at normal volume negated the fx and voice alteration.

So are there any such device available now that work with a normal speaking volume? I know it would work with some kind of sound system, but A. Way outta my price range, and B. Not gonna do all that just for Halloween. So if a voice changer won't work I will just not bother and use the voice I have developed for the Shadow as is.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Should also add that I am trying to find something with a mike I can tuck in the scarf, and has a built in speaker or can accept a speaker, all of which could be hidden somewhere on the costume.

Should also add that I am trying to find something with a mike I can tuck in the scarf, and has a built in speaker or can accept a speaker, all of which could be hidden somewhere on the costume.
Not sure on my end; much of the stuff we spoke about isn't loud enough for what you need.

Folks: can anyone out there suggest anything?

When I did Frank from Donnie Darko I used a transdermal (throat) microphone for a handheld radio with a VOX box, so it activates when you start talking and kills the mic input when you are not. It also does not pick up ambient sound. I then hung the voice changer/speaker around my neck so the sound came from approximately the correct location. Finding one that does the effect you want may be difficult, but if you get one with multiple settings, you might be able to rig something. I got mine at a halloween shop and it had the 3.5mm input and several switches for effects. The combination of settings I use are not listed as a specific effect, but it sounded good.
edit: If you use a VOX system rather than PTT it helps to make a clicking sound before you start talking so the mic activates and does not cut off the first part of what you are saying. Mine is probably 20 years old, so the new ones might work much faster and that is no longer necessary.

When I did Frank from Donnie Darko I used a transdermal (throat) microphone for a handheld radio with a VOX box, so it activates when you start talking and kills the mic input when you are not. It also does not pick up ambient sound. I then hung the voice changer/speaker around my neck so the sound came from approximately the correct location. Finding one that does the effect you want may be difficult, but if you get one with multiple settings, you might be able to rig something. I got mine at a halloween shop and it had the 3.5mm input and several switches for effects. The combination of settings I use are not listed as a specific effect, but it sounded good.
edit: If you use a VOX system rather than PTT it helps to make a clicking sound before you start talking so the mic activates and does not cut off the first part of what you are saying. Mine is probably 20 years old, so the new ones might work much faster and that is no longer necessary.
Awesome! I found something along the lines of the voice changer you mention, and it can accept a speaker. I have found speakers that are apparently loud, but they look a bit bigger than what you are talking about. I'd say at least an inch square from the photos on Etsy and Amazon.

The voice changer I am looking at does have reverb, but I don't think there is anything that could do any additional rasp on my voice. Which honestly is whatever. I also will have to tinker with it to see if the reverb can be adjusted, as I want just enough to make my voice sound creepy and "supernatural" without sounding silly.

VOX box. I think I saw that somewhere. Is that maybe the speaker?

VOX box. I think I saw that somewhere. Is that maybe the speaker?
It is voice operated transmit (VOX) vs Push to talk (PTT) for the radio. It will probably be a part of the microphone, but they can be purchased separately.

The voice changer I used had the speaker integrated and was around 4x3x1.5. It was made to be worn on a belt, so mounting it was easy. The costume was pretty baggy so you could not really see it.

You might be able to hide something around the holsters. Maybe below?

It is voice operated transmit (VOX) vs Push to talk (PTT) for the radio. It will probably be a part of the microphone, but they can be purchased separately.

The voice changer I used had the speaker integrated and was around 4x3x1.5. It was made to be worn on a belt, so mounting it was easy. The costume was pretty baggy so you could not really see it.

You might be able to hide something around the holsters. Maybe below?
Gotcha. I had seen that mentioned on Etsy and Amazon but didn't realize what it meant. Thanks for that.

I was thinking if I go ahead with this that I could have my girlfriend, also a cosplayer, make a pouch for it on the holster harness to tuck it into. Maybe make it look like some kind of ammo or other gear pouch.

The speaker... I was gonna tuck it into a coat pocket, but hadn't even thought about the fact it should be up near my face. I GUESS maybe make a neckband to have it under the scarf along with the mike. Though maybe that could cause feedback?

Also, the radio you used, the VOX diables the need for the button, so I can just stick it in the coat?(I know that sounds stupid and makes ME sound stupid, but I am just trying to picture how I can make this work.)

501st guys typically put the speaker behind the chest armor, and it's close enough that you can't tell the difference. :)

Maybe could have a pouch on each side of the harness then, one for the changer, and one for the speaker.

Another dumb question is the radio. I assume its a walkie talkie type 2 way, so how do you even set that up for something like this? I again sound dumb but I didn't think you could do that kind of thing with such a radio.

Man I hope I'm not comin off as dumb as I think I do. :(

Maybe could have a pouch on each side of the harness then, one for the changer, and one for the speaker.

Another dumb question is the radio. I assume its a walkie talkie type 2 way, so how do you even set that up for something like this? I again sound dumb but I didn't think you could do that kind of thing with such a radio.

Man I hope I'm not comin off as dumb as I think I do. :(
Naw, you're brainstorming with the gang here. :) We all do that; suggest ideas and opinionate on how they would work.

Naw, you're brainstorming with the gang here. :) We all do that; suggest ideas and opinionate on how they would work.
Thanks. I am still a novice at cosplays. My GF hasn't messed with anything like this either, and she has way more cosplay experience than I, so she can't give her usual informed opinion.

Regarding feedback, that is the beauty of the transdermal mic. I never had an issue with feedback since it is only looking in (toward the throat) for sound, not out.
Regarding the radio, the microphone is for a 2-way radio, but not hooked up to one. You just use the microphone line out and plug it into the mic input on the voice changer (provided the sizes match). I said 3.5mm earlier, but I think the mic jack was actually 2.5mm. In any case, you want to make sure your input/output match or you have an adapter. And yes, if using VOX setting on the microphone, there is no need for a button to activate the microphone.

Ask all the questions you need to. This took a fair amount of trial and error to work out.
I also made a strap to hold the microphone in place better. I think they usually include that now.

Regarding feedback, that is the beauty of the transdermal mic. I never had an issue with feedback since it is only looking in (toward the throat) for sound, not out.
Regarding the radio, the microphone is for a 2-way radio, but not hooked up to one. You just use the microphone line out and plug it into the mic input on the voice changer (provided the sizes match). I said 3.5mm earlier, but I think the mic jack was actually 2.5mm. In any case, you want to make sure your input/output match or you have an adapter. And yes, if using VOX setting on the microphone, there is no need for a button to activate the microphone.

Ask all the questions you need to. This took a fair amount of trial and error to work out.
I also made a strap to hold the microphone in place better. I think they usually include that now.
So, if I have this right...

Transdermal mike connects to voice changer, which connects to speaker?

If so, I could probably buy this setup for about 60 bucks, depending. Much more doable than I thought.

I dug out the setup so it is easier to understand.
Top left is the mic and neck band.
The box that says RadioShack is the VOX controller with PTT option.
Microphone out goes to the voice changer.
Earpiece is not needed, so it gets tucked in the neck band. Black plug is audio in for earpiece and is not used.

mic.jpg

I dug out the setup so it is easier to understand.
Top left is the mic and neck band.
The box that says RadioShack is the VOX controller with PTT option.
Microphone out goes to the voice changer.
Earpiece is not needed, so it gets tucked in the neck band. Black plug is audio in for earpiece and is not used.

View attachment 1823956
Ah, that one is very different than the changers I've been seeing. I haven't seen any like that at all.

Still, I think it would be easy to add a speaker to one of the ones I have seen. And it would be no more bulky than your setup, as rhe throat mikes I looked at have a built in switch for PTT or VOX.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back