Making Star Trek Iso Chips.

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I did a search and found this in the archive:
http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...=isolinear+chip

But all the pixs, scans and links are dead.

I want to make some iso chips. I can get the colored plastic. I can make the wrap-around numbered labels and spray-glue them on, but how can I cheaply (without spending hundreds on a large silk-screen order) create a uniform and relatively easily reapeatable circuit design on plexi chip after chip?

I've tried putting a printed template on plastic, cutting away the pattern, and painting it, but no matter how I alter this method, it never works. What else can I try without spending wads of cash on it?

I'm still new, so please don't take this as a sales pitch, but have you looked at having them engraved? A close friend of mine does ADA signage and has the engravers they use. You might look at local sign shops that handle ADA and see what they could do them for.

-sctcarts77

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jul 9 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]1277523[/snapback]</div>
Well, you could try that inkjet-compatible waterslide decal paper... Or have someone make decals.

Or have cut vinyl stickers made...

-Mike
[/b]

If it were my project I'd probably use one of those two methods.

It could be done with frosted crystal vinyl. If I remember the "traces" look like they were sandblasted in the plastic and the frosted vinyl makes it look like that.

You could always sandblast them yourself. Paasche makes a airbrush sandblaster for model work. I picked up one at a Habor Frieght a few years ago. You can make a master pattern using a brass etching kit (Miro Max sell it) and then make a many chips as you need.

Alan

P.S. Thanks Sith Sheriff Brody for the pattern.

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jul 9 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]1277523[/snapback]</div>
Wow — that was a while ago...

Well, you could try that inkjet-compatible waterslide decal paper... Or have someone make decals.

Or have cut vinyl stickers made...

Or make a rubber stamp...

Here's a pattern I drew up the last time someone asked: http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/Iso-1_1.gif

-Mike
[/b]

Inkjet waterslide will not work because you cannot print in white.

Vinyl diecuts may work rather well, provided the pattern isn't too delicate

What about having a brass template photoetched with the pattern to use as an airbrush mask? It would be reusable too.

Hi Andy. I would not give up on the silk screen process if you like the type of results it can produce. For such a small object you can make a small single color press for practically free if you are a scrounger. First pick up a book on the process. I picked up one from 1956 at a half price books for $1.98. Its 252 pages of the most amazing instructions I have ever seen. I also picked up a small booklet that was also good at a Hobby Lobby a few years ago for about $20. A press big enough to do optical chips would very simple. Making the screens would also be relatively easy. Some screens are made of cut patterns glued to the screen. This is just the ticket for optical chips. Go for it man. I am game to make one with you at the same time. I have also wanted to make optical chips.

Good luck,

Bobby

<div class='quotetop'>(Hellclaw 01 @ Jul 10 2006, 05:12 PM) [snapback]1278269[/snapback]</div>
What about having a brass template photoetched with the pattern to use as an airbrush mask? It would be reusable too.
[/b]

Due to the complexity of the pattern you would have to either modify it or do two (or more) templates... there are just too many "loose" pieces for a single pattern template which is why they went with silkscreening in the first place I would think.

Would be very easy to do them on my laser cutter - when it etches plastic it looks sand blasted.

Plus cutting them out would be done too. :D

Thomas

<div class='quotetop'>(wynnstudio @ Jul 11 2006, 09:31 AM) [snapback]1278645[/snapback]</div>
Would be very easy to do them on my laser cutter - when it etches plastic it looks sand blasted.

Plus cutting them out would be done too. :D

Thomas
[/b]

Have to agree, those babies should be lasered.

I did these up last night. A test with materials I had on hand.

iso.jpg

The flash washes out some of the etching, the lines are "whiter" in person but still have the translucent effect.

Thomas

<div class='quotetop'>(wynnstudio @ Jul 12 2006, 06:57 AM) [snapback]1279257[/snapback]</div>

The flash washes out some of the etching, the lines are "whiter" in person but still have the translucent effect.

Thomas
[/b]

Thomas, those look pretty sweet. Great job. :thumbsup

By the way, did anyone else notice that the original TNG version of the ISO chips as Thomas has made are the essentially the same size as labortory glass slides? :p

<div class='quotetop'>(wynnstudio @ Jul 12 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]1279257[/snapback]</div>

iso.jpg

Thomas
[/b]

Wow. Those look great. How did you do the white and black lable at the top?

Bobby

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back