Making Star Trek Iso Chips.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Sulla, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Sulla

Sulla Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So I did a search and found this in the archive:
    http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...=isolinear+chip

But all the pixs, scans and links are dead.

I want to make some iso chips. I can get the colored plastic. I can make the wrap-around numbered labels and spray-glue them on, but how can I cheaply (without spending hundreds on a large silk-screen order) create a uniform and relatively easily reapeatable circuit design on plexi chip after chip?

I've tried putting a printed template on plastic, cutting away the pattern, and painting it, but no matter how I alter this method, it never works. What else can I try without spending wads of cash on it?

2. lilpropdude

lilpropdude New Member

you can buy your own silk screening kit with the photo solution for the fine detail.

3. sctcarts77

sctcarts77 New Member

I'm still new, so please don't take this as a sales pitch, but have you looked at having them engraved? A close friend of mine does ADA signage and has the engravers they use. You might look at local sign shops that handle ADA and see what they could do them for.

-sctcarts77

4. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow — that was a while ago...

Well, you could try that inkjet-compatible waterslide decal paper... Or have someone make decals.

Or have cut vinyl stickers made...

Or make a rubber stamp...

Here's a pattern I drew up the last time someone asked: http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/Iso-1_1.gif

-Mike

5. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Have you thought of using rub-on striping, and putting a sealer coat over it when you're done?

6. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jul 9 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]1277523[/snapback]</div>
    If it were my project I'd probably use one of those two methods.

7. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

It could be done with frosted crystal vinyl. If I remember the "traces" look like they were sandblasted in the plastic and the frosted vinyl makes it look like that.

8. wizardofflight

wizardofflight Well-Known Member

You could always sandblast them yourself. Paasche makes a airbrush sandblaster for model work. I picked up one at a Habor Frieght a few years ago. You can make a master pattern using a brass etching kit (Miro Max sell it) and then make a many chips as you need.

Alan

P.S. Thanks Sith Sheriff Brody for the pattern.

9. Hellclaw 01

Hellclaw 01 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jul 9 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]1277523[/snapback]</div>
    Inkjet waterslide will not work because you cannot print in white.

Vinyl diecuts may work rather well, provided the pattern isn't too delicate

What about having a brass template photoetched with the pattern to use as an airbrush mask? It would be reusable too.

10. Bobster

Bobster Active Member

Hi Andy. I would not give up on the silk screen process if you like the type of results it can produce. For such a small object you can make a small single color press for practically free if you are a scrounger. First pick up a book on the process. I picked up one from 1956 at a half price books for $1.98. Its 252 pages of the most amazing instructions I have ever seen. I also picked up a small booklet that was also good at a Hobby Lobby a few years ago for about $20. A press big enough to do optical chips would very simple. Making the screens would also be relatively easy. Some screens are made of cut patterns glued to the screen. This is just the ticket for optical chips. Go for it man. I am game to make one with you at the same time. I have also wanted to make optical chips.

Good luck,

Bobby

11. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Hellclaw 01 @ Jul 10 2006, 05:12 PM) [snapback]1278269[/snapback]</div>

Due to the complexity of the pattern you would have to either modify it or do two (or more) templates... there are just too many "loose" pieces for a single pattern template which is why they went with silkscreening in the first place I would think.

12. Bobster

Bobster Active Member

13. wynnstudio

wynnstudio Active Member

Would be very easy to do them on my laser cutter - when it etches plastic it looks sand blasted.

Plus cutting them out would be done too. :D

Thomas

14. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(wynnstudio @ Jul 11 2006, 09:31 AM) [snapback]1278645[/snapback]</div>

Have to agree, those babies should be lasered.

15. wynnstudio

wynnstudio Active Member

I'll see if I can do a sample tonight.

Thomas

16. wynnstudio

wynnstudio Active Member

I did these up last night. A test with materials I had on hand.

[​IMG]

The flash washes out some of the etching, the lines are "whiter" in person but still have the translucent effect.

Thomas

17. SurferGeek

<div class='quotetop'>(wynnstudio @ Jul 12 2006, 06:57 AM) [snapback]1279257[/snapback]</div>

Thomas, those look pretty sweet. Great job. :thumbsup

18. SurferGeek

By the way, did anyone else notice that the original TNG version of the ISO chips as Thomas has made are the essentially the same size as labortory glass slides? :p

19. Mike J.

Those look great.

SG: Did not know that. It opens up some possibilities for storage racks / boxes, though.

-Mike

20. Bobster

Bobster Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(wynnstudio @ Jul 12 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]1279257[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. Those look great. How did you do the white and black lable at the top?

Bobby

21. wynnstudio

wynnstudio Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Bobster @ Jul 12 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]1279330[/snapback]</div>

Thanks - Laser printer and laser printer labels

Thomas

22. SurferGeek

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jul 12 2006, 08:25 AM) [snapback]1279326[/snapback]</div>

Here's a set of ISO chips being stored in a slide staining cup (I think that's what it is). It was done by Trekprops.de (member here). He added the silver trim to the glass.

[​IMG]

Dan Efran likes this.
  23. wynnstudio

wynnstudio Active Member

I have seen 2 sizes listed - 1"x3" and 1x3.5" what is correct? Also I used some online photos for the design, one was screen used the other I'm not sure. If one did a set - what colors would one want to see and should the pattern be different on each? What about a custom holder?

Thomas

24. Sulla

<div class='quotetop'>(Bobster @ Jul 12 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]1279330[/snapback]</div>
    I dunno' how those were done, but printed on regular paper and spray adhesive has worked for me as far as labels go.

25. Mike J.

26. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

This is what I did with silk-screening:
    [​IMG]

I was burned by the screener, he promised me the blue out of the sky, I intended to do a whole batch of it, but this was the only one which was ok.

27. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Pretty, but was there more than one type of ISO chip used? This one is obviously a different shape.

28. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Yeah, this was the FC/INS/NEM version, you could see them in the deflector dish sequence, where they had to uncouple it from the magnetic lock. There were also a mid-size and a big one, as well as an irregular shaped Iso-Chip same size as the TNG one, which appeared as a set decoration in the background.

@wynnstudio:
    The correct size is : 1x3.5" or even more accurate: 2.4 cm x 8.45 cm. Why don't you start using metric system?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. wynnstudio

wynnstudio Active Member

Well now that I have the metric numbers I'll use those.

The 2 pics you have - are they screen used or fan made?

Thomas

<div class='quotetop'>(YenChih Lin @ Jul 12 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]1279529[/snapback]</div>

30. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Above the two are screen used, the TNG one was off ebay, the other red one from VOY was bought by my friend on a Con, where Mike Moore attended.
    Below, the large size Iso is a replica from ebay, which was sold a year or so ago...

31. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

sort of an offshoot, but ive been on a bit of a stargate watching marathon (managed to miss season 8 almost completely). the same technique could be used (laser etching) with clear plexi to do those little... crystal chip things they have in the anchient's tech stuff.

i never know what those damned things are called.

im digging the slide dish though, id imagine backlighting these would make em shine like crazy....

chris

32. Sulla

*bump*
    Any news for us wynnstudio? :)

Thanks.

33. Walter

Walter Sr Member

[​IMG]

Sweet Buddha those look nice Tom. WOW.

-Bryan

34. Sulla

Hey, wynnstudio, did anything ever come of this?

35. wynnstudio

wynnstudio Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sulla @ Oct 18 2006, 07:59 AM) [snapback]1340316[/snapback]</div>

:confused

I have a completed set with a nifty stand and then........ I just need to return to it.

Thomas

36. Sulla

OK. kewl. Any pics? any thoughts of making some for sale... when you get the time of course. I think we all know how that works. :p

37. sakraft1

sakraft1 New Member

Those look great!

38. kertratz

kertratz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Silkscreened.... for the TNG just white on both sides and the other versions have a bronze color on one side and silver on the other. The exception is the small angled chip, which is only screened silver on the one side.

To do it right, and keep unit cost down, I feel like you would have to do a large run of them. I worked on these years ago with a member on the old ASAP. I couldnt even tell you who anymore though...

However, if someone were to take on this project, I would love to get more of the larger data chip style isolinear chips.

39. Sulla

I love your collection kertratz. Here are some photo's of some screen used ISO chips from Nemesis (they are marked with ENTERPRISE-E) that Russ was so kind to let me take and share. Also pictured is a circuit card used on DS9 (episode/scene unconfirmed by me yet.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

40. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

nice Andy - it now very hard to come by the Isos today :( - around 2000 it was very easy to snag off ebay for little money or just knowing the makers of the Isos... Like Bill Dolan, John Dwyer, Chris Avilla...

41. kertratz

kertratz Well-Known Member

Cool chips. Hold on to that first one, the WKD. Bill's chips were much more difficult to come by. Dwyer's are what everyone has.