Making my mjolnir...(pic heavy)

Thorlief Golmen

So for a while now I wanted a 100% 1:1 scale Mjolnir...obvious choice would be the eFx prop...except I dont have £600 (and the rest)...

Also alot of the other proper; which look great, like the crazy toys version, lager toys version etc. etc. are not true 1:1 scale as they are either too short or the hammer head is too small...and Im a big guy (6ft2" 240lbs) so anything smaller than true movie 1:1 scale is just too small in my hand as far as I am concerned...

So Ive decided to make my own, luckily I have the exact dimensions of the eFx version and also dimensions (supposedly) of the 616 version....

Now I'm no engineer and this is the first time I have attempted to make any kind of prop from scratch so you'll have to excuse me if I am abit rough around the edges...

Anyway Ive decided to use Styrene sheets to make the main hammer head (as I hear this is easy to work with) filled with expanding foaming for weight, coupled with a solid wood handle then wrapped in faux leather...everything has arrived so I'm going to get to making over the next few days (below are my supplies):

DSCF0761.JPGDSCF0762.JPGDSCF0763.JPGDSCF0764.JPGDSCF0765.JPGDSCF0766.JPGDSCF0767.JPG

I've decided to go with the 616 version as its an easier design than the films and I feel I can get it more accurate, the best version Ive seen drawn belongs to Esad Ribic's version as I think it is the best looking version of Mjolnir out there:

Capture.JPGe7ab54c01f379029b73ffb85d88eef89.jpg

Expect updates with pics as they come...

Started making some progress on this...decided to go with the 616 dimensions but after cutting out all the main hammer head shapes beginning to think I should have gone with the eFx dimensions...ah well we'll see how it comes out...

Progress pics below:

DSCF0768.JPGDSCF0769.JPGDSCF0770.JPGDSCF0771.JPG

More to follow...

Ok so massive updates...some time off work and I've blitz the make in the last few days...I was right Ive made the hammer too big...its a beast...but doesn't feel quite right in the hand...

So during the final steps ordered some more styrene sheets and gonna try again...think of this hammer as a test bed...Ive learned alot from this make so hopefully the next one will be exactly what I am envisioning...

Process pics below:

DSCF0773.JPGDSCF0772.JPGDSCF0776.JPGDSCF0775.JPGDSCF0778.JPGDSCF0779.JPGDSCF0781.JPGDSCF0780.JPGDSCF0782.JPGDSCF0783.JPGDSCF0784.JPGDSCF0785.JPGDSCF0786.JPGDSCF0787.JPG

Final hammer version...as I'm going to make another I havent filled in areas that needed filling in with A-Sculpt...its a little rough around the edges but overall looks ok...

I dry brushed the hammer head with mirror chrome paint but I think on the next version Im just going to straight up spray it so I can get a nice reflective metal looking surface...

Let me know what you think:

DSCF0793.JPGDSCF0789.JPGDSCF0790.JPGDSCF0791.JPGDSCF0792.JPGDSCF0788.JPG

According to the Marvel Wikia "Uru is a metal ore in the Marvel Comics universe. It resembles stone but it also seems to have metallic properties. " and I've always seen the hammer in the comics look more like stone than metal. The Wikia also lists the dimensions as "an oblong head about a foot long and a handle of equal length." I think the finish you have on it now looks pretty good.

Ive learned so much from this build...I'm defo going to make another but with what Ive learned should come out looking pretty nice (I hope)...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back