Making foam look like porcelain?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

DalekShorty81

I plan on building a Funtime Freddy replica, using 3d models from the game. The outer shell has a plasticy, almost ceramic quality that I want to replicate; however, I also want to build it out of foam, so that the shell is thick and flexible, while also simulating the texture on the outside. I'm assuming that plastic-coating is the best way to go about it; however, I feel that this can be done more easily through some other means. However, I'm drawing a blank on what ways this can be achieved. Any ideas?
1599269677329.png

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

George

Master Member
I once learned of an environment-friendly and easy way to plastic-coat, which is with Acrylic Gel such as Impasto Gel-1 by Lascaux.Used in its undiluted form it will turn hard as plastic.Then paint with acrylic paint (gloss).

VilleLeskinen

Sr Member
Community Staff
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I plan on building a Funtime Freddy replica, using 3d models from the game. The outer shell has a plasticy, almost ceramic quality that I want to replicate; however, I also want to build it out of foam, so that the shell is thick and flexible, while also simulating the texture on the outside. I'm assuming that plastic-coating is the best way to go about it; however, I feel that this can be done more easily through some other means. However, I'm drawing a blank on what ways this can be achieved. Any ideas? View attachment 1344996

Vinyl covers? Something like what punt14sep uses here:

JPH

Sr Member
if you are making a 3d print, coat it in resin with pigment. like XTC and so strong pigment.

or

I made some Ghost in the Shell geisha mask with smooth cast 325 and white, So Strong pigment, people thought they were porcelain until they held them.

or

vacu-form. That's a lot of vacu-forming. PetG for springy outer shell.

or

Plasti-dip, but you may have trouble finding those colors

or

if you really want the outer shell to be springy, coat with Urecoat