Making a Star Trek Alpha Hero Communicator

pielock373

Made a new buck that has many of the features of the original screen used comm's including the wank on the control panel area. Here is a shot fresh off the vac table.

Last edited:
Glued in all hubs and the counter ring for the moire. The perforated brass sheet is cut to size and ready for forming.

Test fitting the stopwatch.

To bend the lid all you need is a hammer and an oak 1x3. Start to finish, 25 minutes.

The first edge, bang with hammer on wood edge.

Second edge, bang again.

Third edge, you guessed, bang again!

And the back edge, more of the same.

So you end up with 4 turned up corners that I grind down on a belt sander.

The sander.

Corners leveled.

Sand bottom flat.

Sitting next to a JLong lid.

Test fitting

Last edited:
Pretty slick just banging out a hero comm like this, like no big deal...except it is a big deal. Great stuff.

I've made 30 or so of these by hand like this. It really is muscle memory at this point. Without any ruler or measuring device I can make them the same exact size and shape every time, my wife will be watching me make them, she shakes her head and says "I don't know how you make it look so easy?" I've always said if you want something bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen. If you don't get what you want, then you didn't want it bad enough!

It's the same with the Moire rings. I lathe them out without picking up a micrometer. Each one is the exact same every time. Muscle memory!!

Steve

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back